SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

General and lighting plan feedback requested

Kathy F
13 years ago

Hi. I am SO ready to remodel our kitchen! Our house, which we bought 3 years ago, still has the original cabinets, countertops, and electric range from 1965. It's time for a change. As you can see, the mudroom and laundry room areas are open to the kitchen. I'm tired of the constant messiness in those areas being so exposed.

The house is sort of farmhouse style, so I'm trying to keep things to an appropriate style to match.

Here is our current kitchen

Here is the planned new floor plan. We're trading the peninsula for an island which will have a prep sink so my husband and I don't compete so much for the one faucet. :) We also want to create a separate laundry room/half bath and tidy up the mudroom area. And I'm getting a small walk in pantry! I want to do shaker cabinets, granite countertops, gas cooktop, and double wall ovens.

Here's the lighting/plumbing plan

I would LOVE any feedback on anything! Although I will admit I'm pretty set on the basic floor plan as I've been going around and around on that for about 6 months now. I wish I had found this forum a lot earlier. :(

But now come all the pesky details. I was all ready to trot off to get my permit this week, but I'm now not sure about my lighting plan. I had planned on fluorescent recessed lighting for the general lighting, fluorescent under cabinet strips, and incandescent pendants - 2 over the eating bar at the island and 1 over the sink. An electrician I was interviewing said "don't do fluorescent recessed, do LED recessed. Every customer I know who's done fluorescent has been unhappy with it." I'm in CA, so need to follow Title 24, meaning I need to have 1/2 of my wattage in the kitchen be high efficacy (LED or fluorescent). If I change to LED, I won't be able to do a pendant over the sink because LED fixtures are much lower wattage than fluorescent. Any feedback on my lighting plan in general? Or on the question of fluorescent vs. LED? Especially anybody who actually has recent fluorescent recessed lighting? If I switch to LED then I won't have enough watts to do a pendant over the sink; do I have enough light for the sink area if I just remove the pendant?

I can't get my permit till I figure this out. :(

Lots more questions to come; specifics of the cabinet plan, flooring, cabinet hardware, granite, and more! I'm trying to deal with one decision at a time.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio