SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westleyandbuttercup

Feedback on house plans requested

We would love your feedback on the house plans attached.

Some site specifics... We plan for the house to face north (or just a smidge northwest). The back of the five-acre lot is wooded, so privacy that direction won't be a large concern. There will be plenty of space between our house and neighbors to the sides, also. We live in the midwest and must plan for climate extremes.

Bedroom 3 will be used as an office for DH, who works from home full-time. Bedroom 2 may also become an office for an intern but will still need to be available as a sometimes bedroom. (Our son leaves for boot camp next month and we'll want a place for him to come home to as often as he gets that privilege.)

We need to add a single door for accessing the garage from the side of the house. The master bedroom transom windows are not wide enough to fit our king-size bed below--the sides of the bed would extend over the double-hungs. Have you seen a bed and windows set up this way? I would love to see any pics you have of a bed set under transoms flanked by double-hungs. Stairs down from the covered porch will be added but are not drawn in here.

We're considering sliding the doors to the master bedroom closer to the hallway and moving the opening of the master closet where the bedroom doors are now. Rods would then run east/west if you consider them currently north/south. That would allow a solid wall opposite the bed for the TV; I envision it wall-mounted above a long dresser. What do you think? Would a pocket door be the best space-wise if that move is made? Anybody else have a "foyer" to their master bedroom (for lack of a proper term to call that space)?

I have reservations about a master bedroom with windows on only one wall, as I've always had windows on two sides and love the natural light. Do you think light from the master bath will help at all? Chisue suggested to another poster that perhaps their bedroom could be moved to the outside corner; I can't see that working here with the single garage stall the way it is. Perhaps you see something I don't.

{{gwi:1456558}}

{{gwi:1456559}}

{{gwi:1456560}}

Comments (9)