SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalalisa123_gw

Terrible Quartzite Cut/Installation - What would you do? - Help!

lalalisa123
10 years ago

Hello!
We are moving along with our renovation and our countertops were supposed to be installed on Friday. (White Macaubas Quartzite) It became apparent quickly that there are numerous problems with the cutting of the stone. When the installers looked over the templates it showed that the templates were right but those who cut the stone made some mistakes....

1st Mistake: The long run next to my sink is short by about 1/4". It looks as though we can cover this up with a tile backsplash so we hopefully have a solution here.

2nd Mistake: The sink cutout isn't great. The overlap of stone is much more in some places and much less in others. (Hard to describe but they didn't cut it out well.

3rd Mistake: Probably the biggest bc we aren't sure of a solution yet. The company wanted to do a bridge around my cooktop (meaning there are 2 narrow pieces, one in the front of cooktop and one in the back that are seemed together with 4 small seems) which I didn't love the idea of but was going along with there confident suggestions. Anyways, they cut the piece to the left of the cooktop way off and are trying to figure out a solution. They will have to cut the piece and make new bridge pieces. We aren't sure if it will look ok or not yet.

So here's where we are at. After talking with the company while the installers were there they said the owner of the company is in a pretty rough state and has been hospitalized. We are thinking we will either send the slabs back saying they aren't right or will ask for a percentage of discount bc the job is so poor (we will only go this route if they come up with a solution for the cooktop that looks really good)

Do any of you have any other thoughts? What would you do? I will try to take some pictures tomorrow. (we are not at home right now bc our hardwood floors were just refinished...)

Thanks for any insights!!
Lisa
p.s. I've attached a picture of one of the slabs before installation....

Comments (3)