SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

What would you do? Need to cut sq footage

shelly_k
15 years ago

My DH and I finished this floor plan with our architect about 6 months ago and after getting a bid, realized it was way over our budget. We own our land outright and we're trying to decide if we should just sell the lot and never build (maybe purchase resale later) or IF we can cut this floorplan down -- by a MINIMUM of 200-300 square feet.

The house is currently 3050 sq ft on the main floor. I never wanted it to get this big, but now I like the room sizes. Ugh! We always wanted to be in the 2700 sq ft range, but you know how things go.

Option 1: Start in the greatroom/kitchen because it is in the center of the house and start reducing sq footage throughout. I figure if we start in the center of the house, we could cut down square footage the quickest. So the main rooms would be cut down by 2-3 sq feet on each side. Great room might go from 18x19 to 15x16? Or something like that?

Option 2: Cut out the third bedroom and finish the basement. If we cut out one of the bedrooms and it's closet and reduce the size of that bath (no longer need 2 sinks) we could get 200 sq feet cut right there.

We are a family of 4 -- our children are ages 3 and 2. No more kids planned. If we cut out the third bedroom, the kids would likely be in the basement right away.

I love having everything on one floor and I love having our room sizes the way they are. So this is a big dilemma. But we live in a small town and resale options are limited and the house we currently own was to be a "temporary" house as we planned to build -- before the bid came in. I don't want to sound ungrateful -- we are fortunate to have the home we are in. But it is not something I can seem long term -- the floor plan doesn't work and the bedrooms are tiny.

Also, the study must stay on the floor. DH will run his business out of that office within 2 years.

What would you do?

Comments (19)