SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candicenovitzke

How would you start a new 1000 sq ft bed?

candicenovitzke
13 years ago

I have an area where the grass grows marginally well in our front yard that I want to convert into a perennial and (primarily) hosta and bed :-)

It's roughly going to be 1000 square feet in size, with three "cloverleaves" if you will. It's an "island" that is going to encompass two large oak trees on one "leaf", a maple tree on another "leaf", and a large antique wagon on the third "leaf."

With most of my other garden beds, I've just ripped out all the grass by hand. I know, this takes forever. Plus this would be the largest garden and likely would take an eternity.

I'm planning to edge it with (for now) just plain black plastic. Could I install the edging, then secure a bunch of landscape fabric (the breathable type) and cut holes for all my plants and leave most of the grass in place? (I would make sure to use the breatheable fabric, not the cheap plastic stuff that water can't permeate.) I have an abundance of oak leaf mulch that i've been using on my gardens with good results that i'd cover it with.

If I do this, how large should I be cutting holes for the hostas to grow? for smalls-medium 1 1/2 feet in diameter? for large ones 2 feet in diameter?

should i worry about moles having a heyday with this situation? will they live under the landscape fabric?

would spinout bags be a good idea, considering the maple tree roots?

sorry, this is just a really loaded post... thanks for any help.

Comments (13)