SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ash6181

If I add a door, how do I balance wall visually?

ash6181
10 years ago

I hope I can explain this question in a way that make sense. I posted my kitchen for review several weeks ago, and one of the comments was that I should add a door that leads out onto what is labeled on the plans as a grilling deck. Makes sense. Originally, I planned to use one of the living room doors which is just around the corner, but I can definitely see the advantages of having a door in the kitchen.

However, if I add a door at the most logical (to my mind) place, I feel like it throws that wall of cabinets, sink, etc. out of whack...like the visual break of the door on the right needs to be balanced with something on the left (if you were facing that wall).

Here's the layout with the door added:

So, what could I do to balance the door, or am I worrying about nothing? Or should I just forget the door and stick with the plan to use the doors in the living room (the double doors shown in the upper right above). ?

Another option mentioned was to just do away with that wall of cabinets and go all windows/ doors there. I think I have the space to make that work, and I imagine it would look great...but I'm just not sure. Here's how that might look:

I just did these diagrams quickly in Photoshop, so please forgive any wonky lines, etc.

Thoughts on these options? I'm still looking at some of the other suggestions too, such as adding a eating area and moving the refrigerator.

This is the first house we've built- actually the first house we've purchased!- and the first kitchen I've had the option to design from scratch. I'm terrified and excited at the same time. Any advice is welcome- thanks so much!

Ashley

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)