SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ailene54

How do I tell painter I see where he primed, and didn't add paint

Ilene Perl
12 years ago

Hi, I hired a GC to update on my kitchen. He measured, and installed new cabinet doors, painted oak boxes the same color. (did other work: including electrical, plumming, and carpentry). He is returning tomorrow to finish and get full payment. When painting my cabinets he added color to the primer and asked me (several times) if he could only do one coat of paint on cabinets, since it was going to be color,color, and more color. I asked here, and told him I wanted two coats. Over the weekend while linning my cabinets, I realized most inside frames were primed only, no paint, the difference can be felt and seen by the wood bleeding thru. On the bottom of boxes, which can be seen when sitting at my table some weren't painted, all weren't painted to edge furtheset from the wall, and sometimes to back side. I realize he has been "double dipping" me on several items. An example, I pay/paid for items purchased. He purshased 3 pakages of under counter lighting, each had 3 fixtures. When a defective bulb blew, he said he was going to have to buy bulbs, I suggested him to take bulb out of fixture I wasn't using, he had to go to his truck to get it. He put little gummy stops on top of my cabinet doors, I asked him for the extras, since I wanted to put 2 on each door and some onto drawers, he said how "he didn't pay for them and they were given to him when he picked up the doors." I am not stupid, they were given to him to put on my doors, but I'm afraid to start with him even though I will have to purchase more to place of bottom of doors and on drawers. My question is how to approach him? I was going say that I "thought he may have forgotten", but the more I look it is just to much to forget. On one cabinet he did the the bottom and left inside frame but left the right side and top with primer. It's obvious it was done on purpose. What ever he thought I would notice was painted, the rest was primed only. The cabinet above the refrigerator he didn't want to paint, I explained when I move the refrigerator to clean it would look horrible, and asked him to paint it, I want my kitchen to have a "finished look", that cabinet bottom was only primed. My doors have hidden hindges, does he need to remove all doors to paint the inside frame the proper way? I think when I point this out he will want to paint the frames with the doors on, but I realize the door hindges are going into the frame so a small area of the frame will not be able to be painted properly. Should I try to get another painter to finish the job the proper way, do I have to give him a chance to correct his work? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz