SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_healy5059187

Front of home visually off balance? Help!

Jennifer
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I’ve seen so many great discussions, hoping for some advice. Construction has already started so not much can be changed.

I can’t believe I didn’t notice this before, but now I can’t stop seeing how off balance the front door is compared to the windows above. Also, the columns are not evenly spaced.

We are thinking we will eliminate the second (front) set of center columns and the small peaked roof there. Will that help with balance?

Our builder recommends not to move the columns because they are specified in our roof truss plan. But I think it would look better to space them evenly.

Any thoughts/opinions from this group would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (43)

• doc5md
    2 years ago

The thing that really bothers me, is the front porch that is 1/3 way across the triple windows. I think it should have ended before the windows or gone all the way across the 3 windows.

I agree with @chispa

• Related Discussions

Opinions on balancing height - Front of House w/ pictures

Q

Comments (5)
    By the sketch, I'm actually NOT making any color suggestions. But I don't know why you all think that "white" must be the color. Love it in the shade, but it doesn't seems like what would give you pizazz. I would accept whatever color a good perennial groundcover provided and experiment with whatever appeals in annuals. (If it wasn't the greatest this season, there's always the next.) Would consider raising the stoop to just below threshold level ... with one wide step to it. Begin limbing up your trees (can go to 50% ht.) so as not to obscure view of house. Wait too long and they develop bad behavior (limbs that turn into trunks so when removed, leave a gaping hole.) Above all, I would NOT plant on the other side (lawn side) of walk. If you want to do something beneficial, widen the walk.
    ...See More

Visual Balance/ Aesthetics- add built-in's next to fireplace????

Q

Comments (6)
    The random shelves you show somehow look too informal and don't flatter the fireplace. If you must have them I would choose simple shelves, but having them on only one side of the fireplace is not a good look. It makes the fireplace look lop-sided, and I don't think balancing the shelves with paintings on the other side will do the trick.
    ...See More

Adding Front Porch - Balancing Home & Building Advice

Q

Comments (9)
    Remove the shutters which don't fit the double window. Hang a pergola over the garage door at the same height as the top of the window frame on the opposite side for balance. Beef up the trim around the garage door to match that on the windows. Repaint your dormer white, or you might match it to the roof color. Hang new shutters on those dormer windows, but not louvered style. Black ones if you paint it white, and white ones if you match the roof color. Remove the block border of the bed on the left and curve the bed around in front of the porch and along the drive. Move the evergreen shrubs around to the left side of the house. Proven Winners has some dwarf flowering shrubs you should consider for under the double window, and right of the porch. Increase your porch lantern size to 1/3 of the door's height. It and the mail box should be black. You might paint door and its trim and the garage door black too, but wait until the other things are complete to decide.
    ...See More

I’m at a loss!! Wondering how to balance out the front of this house?

Q

Comments (16)
    Landscaping would obviously make a huge difference. Where are you located? What’s around you (woods, water, land, etc)? Is your roof metal? I’d peruse inspiration pictures for ideas. You could change the trim color, maybe? Add window boxes — A nice walkway — Maybe adding a porch someday: Lots of possibilities!
    ...See More
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for that feedback chispa and doc5md. I see what you mean. I think it might still be possible to end the porch roof before the windows.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Concern yourself with all sides of the house, it is not a painting. Visualize it three dimensionally or get someone to render it three dimensionally to see what it will look like closer to real life. What you show is only an exterior elevation that does not accurately represent what you will see in reality.

• ulisdone
    2 years ago

I would get rid of the entry portico - it looks tight at the garage access anyway.

It would help to make the second story windows smaller. There is usually a heirarchy with windows; size/volume looks best when it diminishes as it moves up through the levels.

However those second story windows are no doubt egress sized, so may have to be a larger single unit rather than the existing planned doubles.

I would definately rework this facade, and possibly the floor plan.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

All I see is a ton of roof for no apparent reason the entry is IMO the least of the issues. Did you have an architect ?How is it you are already building and you did not notice this in the renderings from the architect ? You are right the door is off and I do not see how changing the post or the little peak will help at all.The interior and exterior need to be designed together to avoid this type of error so you need to have a meeting with your architect to see what can be done now .

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

This is the first thing that pops into my head and that's not always the best solution, LOL. Could you add another entry element in a symmetrical position centered on the window above. If you do that you might be able to make the roof span between the two. You would need to massage this newly expanded element but it might solve you problem. Adding some additional structure shouldn't pose a problem whereas removing columns might. Good luck!

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Your brown images actually look quite nice to me, if you took Chispa's advice and end the porch roof before the windows on the left. I don't mind the larger windows upstairs or the "heaviness" of the 2nd story. I can imagine that it's going to be especially nice from the interior with those larger windows. It avoids all the trappings of Mcmansions like too many different peaks and angles and materials, etc. If you have a wonderful color for the front door, it will look like a very welcoming home.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

The 2nd floor gable windows look to cantilever out over the 1st floor. So cutting the porch roof back won't work if you keep the hip. A gable end will accentuate the low pitch and create an odd shaped gable with the upper overhang.

Jennifer, no matter if you remove the pair of columns to the right of the door, the spacing of the columns will not relate to anything above or behind it. And realize that you have a steep roof pitch and prominent 2nd floor gables at the bedrooms. Your porch roof is a low pitch, and removing the entry portico gable and it's associated pair of columns will accentuate the difference in the porch roof. The new column spacing will also accentuate the blank walls flanking the front door. Right now (and considering you don't see elevations perfectly head on in 2D as a drawing does), you read the design as the porch is an entity unto itself, with cues from the rest of the house. Whether that is good doesn't matter, it was the design direction and it's done.

"Construction has already started so not much can be changed."

I hope your seat belt is buckled.

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

My eye goes to the 2nd floor mostly because of the 2 gables (your peaks). This trys to show how changing the roof could change the look. I also added a third window in the center. This group is the same as the garage windows, just scaled down so the proportions remain the same.

Construction has already started so not much can be changed.

What has been done?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Consider this concept. Not to be taken literally.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for comments and suggestions. Particularly appreciate those who take the time to post visuals. I wish I had come here sooner. The process moved very slowly and then suddenly decisions were made/products ordered without double checking. I realize anything can be changed for a price. Trying to minimize that, if possible. Foundation is poured, but much of the materials (including roof trusses) have already been ordered/received. Again, many thanks for all of the ideas.

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

I agree with PPF to get rid of the gables and change the roof to a shed dormer like you have in the back of the house. Extend the porch across the front of the house.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    2 years ago

The windows don't bother me because they are not "near misses". Often the windows look like they tried to line them up and missed. That drives me crazy. These look like they relate to the room inside and weren't trying to be forced to line up on the outside.

The pillars in front of the windows probably would bother me unless they were rooms not used frequently. I'm not in my dining room often so it wouldn't bother me s much in there if it worked on the exterior.

• LH CO/FL
    2 years ago

I love @Mark Bischak, Architect's idea/drawing to create a bigger entry gable that balances the look, and makes a larger, more inviting porch.

• res2architect
    2 years ago

Removing the primary architectural design elements of the twin flying wall dormers (not that they couldn't be improved) is the tail wagging the dog or whatever metaphor you prefer.

There is no reasonable way to solve this design problem without knowing the climate, the status of the work and seeing the floor plans which is likely to lead to resentment and hurt feelings.

This is a task for an architect familiar with all aspects of the project working face to face with the owners until a solution is found.

Removing the cricket / mini-portico from the porch roof would work fine if snow is not a major issue, the gutter is well designed and the front door is painted a strong color and well lighted.

I wouldn't use a colonial door on this house.

The entrance sidelights could be more generous.

If in snow country, the typical "builder's wedgie" between the main house and the garage needs to be addressed. It acutally looks like it might be a problem anywhere it rains.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Advice worth repeating:

"This is a task for an architect familiar with all aspects of the project working face to face with the owners until a solution is found." - RES2

• res2architect
    2 years ago

I like "throw the baby out with the bath water" better.

Are there really no windows in the back wall of the second floor or did someone forget to turn the lights on?

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks again for all the feedback. Certainly no hurt feelings here. We did consult with an architect, although this is rare in our area and price point. We’re very rural and most rely on the lumberyard for design. If I posted photos of what’s usually built in our area/price point, you would really have a lot to comment about! If engaging the full services of an architect from beginning to end were in our budget (or if there were any architects in our immediate area), we would have done so. Like many who post here for advice, we are trying to do the best we can with our circumstances. Your comments are well received and appreciated.

• res2architect
    2 years ago

Mark's solution could work if the original porch roof remains, the columns are a bit fatter and at the third points and his porch roof gable does not project beyond the facia at the porch roof eave so the gutter can be continuous and the ridge of it is below the high point of the porch roof. Put a bench to the right of the front door to balance the door.

I may have time to sketch it later or take some photos of houses with that configuration in my neighborhood.

The front door and portico of my house are not centered on the house but no one notices because the front walk has an S curve in it.

The elevations and the perspective don't agree regarding the height of the "porch" floor.

• scout
    2 years ago

I think it looks unbalanced as the mass of the house is to the right. The second story and garage wing are pushed to the right of the door. I don’t think this is a bad thing, but I wonder if it could be more balanced with landscaping and maybe adding an additional window on the left lower level? If this is possible, what do the architects think?

• res2architect
    2 years ago

To be able to consider adding anything you would need to see the floor plan.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Landscaping can enhance the architecture and should be planned in relationship to the architecture. The repairs landscaping does in elevation drawings may not have the same positive effect in reality/three dimensions.

• res2architect
    2 years ago

What troubles me the most is the second floor gabled wall dormers occurring at the corners thereby leaving the roof eaves hanging in space as if they were going to fly away.

Part of the problem is the unusually deep roof overhangs, the lack of space between the window heads and the top plate and the crude 3D model. Perhaps this is due to drawing errors but the exterior and interior of these corners should be studied in greater detail.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I know there are a lot of issues to address, but would smaller windows on the second floor help?

• res2architect
    2 years ago

I would consider raising the roof and modifying the window locations without making the windows smaller.

Plans would help but you might not be willing to have them critiqued which is inevitable.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don’t take things personally. If someone wants to take the time to review and comment, I appreciate the ideas.

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

• res2architect
    2 years ago

I suggest deleting the twin gables, pushing their walls back and pulling the bedroom wall forward forming a strong central cross gable.

That would give the main house a stronger form and identity that can better compete with the overpowering wings.

Since the house is more rustic vernacular than colonial, perhaps the center gable shouldn't be pulled forward. That might allow the porch cricket/gable to be off center.

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

This removes the family room gable and moves the wall back. Bedroom windows are mirrored around the front door.

Your 2nd floor plan does not show the layout of the bathroom but maybe this would work.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for these ideas. The second floor layout is completely open to change, so any of these would be possible and a great improvement.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What size are those second floor windows?

• bpath
    2 years ago

The closet by the front hall, is it for coats? is it only about 3’ wide, with centered door? I don’t think that will be very workable. I have a long, deep closet that is 4’ wide, shelves on one side and a clothes rod at the far end, for general storage or to serve the study/guest room it is in, and it’s horrid.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Jennifer, maybe you'd like to elaborate, or verify with the builder if you're not sure, what exactly can be changed at this point in construction, and whether you are even willing to spend money to change something. These schemes do require some (pro bono) work and thought by commenters, so it would be a disappointment to see yet another thread of ideas be an exercise in futility.

• res2architect
    2 years ago

With so many extraneous elements asymmetrically attached to it, the main house needs a strong centered massing.

The color is only for emphasis but I hope you don't make everything dark brown.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bpath the closet is 5’ wide and will be general storage - probably shelves along one side. We have separate storage for coats near the garage and in the mud room. There will be hooks in the entry way for guests. That’s a good point - thanks for mentioning it.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3onthetree I will talk to our builder this week. I value the time and talents of those providing feedback and have no expectation that anyone would be doing this unless they genuinely wanted to.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

Often, something off-side (including football) drives me nuts. I don't see it in your house design. I found some photos to give you a visual of what I think: keep the house and trim the same color (I like white), Choose a color for the windows, instead.

Think the result will be stunning.

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

• scout
    2 years ago

Am I the only bothered that the second floor is not centered over the door?

• res2architect
    2 years ago

That's the reason for the thread.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I thought it was because the door is not centered under the second floor?