SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tired_99

So angry at my appliance store - must vent

tired_99
13 years ago

I am so PO'd right now and must vent!

About 4 weeks ago I took delivery on all my kitchen appliances (Capital 48, Miele DW, KA Architect fridge and micro, and Best 1200 cfm blower - so you have some idea of the price of this order). The appliance store sent an "installer" who was a subcontractor of thiers, who I paid direcly to install the fridge and the range ($300). That day, I was bouncing between supervising him in the kitchen and the guys on the truck who were moving items.

At the time, my husband was not impressed with the install, as he said the range was not centered or level, the doors were crooked on the fridge that that was not level either (in any direction) and the interior water line had not been secured so it rattled everytime we got a drink until he pulled it out and secured the piping.

Fast forward to this weekend, we are tiling the backsplash behind the range. My husband and brother in law are wrestling the range out from the wall so mastic and grout wouldn't drip on it. I'm hopping around saying "be careful, there's an anti-tip device installed back there - you probably have to release it!" Finally my husband says, "there's nothing back there, now stop bothering us!"

Er, what??!! Capital's installation instructions specifally reference the included anti-tip device as part of the install. We look around. It's not installed, nor is it in with the pile of extra stuff that has been accumulating as things get finished. That bleeping-bleep-bleep installer never put it in, and must have taken it with him so we wouldn't even notice it was not in place (because after all, what were the chances of us moving the range to discover it wasn't there)!

I am ripped. I call the appliance store. They take the story and say the owner will call me back. Later, the owner's secretary calls me to say their records reflect a "customer install" on my whole order. Nope, I say, I am holding the receipt from XXXXXX, the name of your installer. Oh, she says, I will call you back. A day and a half and no one calls me. I call them. A salesman answers the phone. I ask for the owner, and when I say my name, it is clear the salesman knows all about me. I explain my concerns - anti-tip device is part of approved install and I am worried I will void my warranty, I am worried it won't pass inspection, I am worried that if there is ever an incident, my insurance won't pay, and last but not least, I paid that guy almost 300$ to basically plug in my range and I feel defrauded.

The salesman tells me, in quite a nasty tone, that just because Capital recommends a safety device that doesn't really mean the item needs it, and he installed appliances for years and he never put one in, and I could sit on the door of my range and that wouldn't make it tip over, and what the heck did I want them to do about it anyway??

I was flabbergasted. I told him all I wanted was for them to contact Capital Range, free of charge or at their expense, to get me the d%&$ piece and I would have it installed myself. I also told him I (clearly wrongly) thought they might want to know one of their installers was behaving this way in order to make sure their own reputation stayed intact. He said "we'll mail the piece to your house" and he hung up on me!

Wow - our experience with this company had been so good before this that we were contemplating getting a washer/dryer and new grill from them in the next few months. Has the economy bounced back to the point where a good customer can be treated this way?

Tired (really, really tired now!)

Comments (9)