SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

Frustrated with staining butcher block in white and waterlox

ravmd
12 years ago

I posted in the Woodworking forum but also wanted to see if this forum would have any experience or ideas.

We played around with stains for the perimeter of our Ikea beech counters and decided the Waterlox gives us just enough color so we are going to use pure waterlox on the perimeter of our kitchen counters.

We are trying to contrast this with a white washed island counter but it is not going well.

After 1-2 coats (the bottom sections in photo 2) and then applying Waterlox, it removed most of the white stain. I have since learned that 2 things could be causing this : 1)the white stain was dry but not cured and 2) the white is water based and the waterlox is oil. Waterlox web says this is ok, but others say I may be better with oil on oil.

But I have been warned oil stains can have a yellow tint AND the waterlox will cause an amber tint!

So... I am starting to feel this is going to be impossible. There is a prep sink in this island so I definitely need a good seal. Is there any way to achieve this and a white wash look? Lowes got advice from Cabot on how to make a white oil stain, but they said it will be slightly yellow. So do I stick with my water based white and find a more compatible seal to put over it?? (one store mentioned Genl Finish Salad Bowl finish -but said I could get some yellowing here too)

Or I am may consider Coastal's suggestion of Cabots oil Blue stain now! But still wondering if the amber from the Waterlox will cause a problem.

Otherwise we will just have to leave it with a plain Waterlox coat and no stain.

Any suggestions??? I know I am asking for a lot! Even the white without waterlox is not giving a very smooth looking finish, but that could be operator error in my haste. If it's not going to look close to perfect, I will just go back to the waterlox for all counters. The island is 40X90 so it is too big of a piece to mess up!

(thanks to all already in the woodworking forum. hoping to explore some more options, but not sounding too hopeful)!

3 coats of white wash (no waterlox yet) vs. waterlox only

(bottom:1 coat white/1 coat waterlox, MID: 2 coat white/1 coat waterlox, TOP: 3 coat white)

Comments (18)