SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Is 'I'm getting giddy' worthy of a post??! ;)

13 years ago

I've gotten attached enough to this forum that my first inclination was to say this to you kind and helpful folks before the "real" people in my life - haha!

And what's especially pathetic is that I'm not doing any super nice remodel like most of you are (and fankly, can afford to) and yet I'm still so excited! What the 12 x 14.5 (or 12.5 x 14?) small kitchen really needs is to expand into the mudroom/half-bath w/ french doors out to back yard but that ain't happening anytime soon if ever. So we're doing just one wall: the wall that has the only countertop and sink and sits under the only 2 windows and is the first thing you see (on your right) as you enter from the dining room. We'll get a new counter, new farm sink, fancy wall-mounted faucet, backsplash, the first dishwasher this hundred year-old house has ever seen (!) and disposal, a light above sink and also new light for center of the room. Maybe fir floors refinished too - oh and we got a new fridge. :)

All that's happened so far is: we got the new fridge (a first for us as - at age 40 no less - cause all other fridges have come w/ the house in the past and were older) and it's our first stainless appliance ever - haha big deal! It's a Samsung counter-depth french door kind; AND the other thing that's happened in the last couple of days is they finally demo'd the countertop and backsplash and most of the lower cabinetry (leaving the original tall 1913 craftsman cupboards above, which are painted white), and put in the new electrical service, new/safe outlets (4 boxes!) above the countertop and put in a hole in the ceiling for a light to go above the sink.

BUT...they did one other thing. One small, seemingly insignificant thing and it's made such a difference! They reversed the locations of the fridge and stove. It used to be that you walked into the kitchen and there was immediately on your left refrigerator, blocking the view of the whole left half of the kitchen until you walked in further. Now, the stove's there, and the counter-depth fridge (so worth it by the way, cause it's still huge and the layout in there's fantastic) is now on the left wall when you walk in, and nestled in to the left of an old chimney that it sits flush with which is great.

Whew - I always write so much!!

Thanks for reading...

Comments (14)