SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bruuunooo

Don't hold back...critique our kitchen design

bruuunooo
15 years ago

Hi to the kind people who regularly offer kitchen design advice.

Please help! We are working on plans for new construction in Wisconsin. Your critiques would be much appreciated. We are living in an apartment (to our surprise, our first home sold) and my husband wants to build tomorrow. He would like to have the builder just "take care of it". I want to make sure we have a functional and attractive kitchen design.

We are planning a simple, rectangular, three floor, 3000 square foot (including finished walk-out basement) home with a stair bumpout. We have three kids ages 2, 4, and 6. I am the cook and my husband helps with cleanup. I hope to get the kids involved with cooking and cleanup, too.

We need to keep construction costs reasonable because we are buying into a local business. If necessary, we will upgrade floors and countertops later. For now, we would like plenty of windows and sun (this is Wisconsin, after all) and some built-in bookcases and window seats to reduce clutter and maximize square footage. Honestly, our current furniture is crap and built-ins will help.

I will include (I hope!) a jpg sketch of our kitchen layout and a larger first floor perspective. We have no formal dining room. We seem to have a very informal lifestyle. The dining room table will have built in seating on two sides (top and right in sketch)--we didn't have a way to represent that in the computer drawing. The "view" of a wetlands is at the top of the drawing, which is east. The donut looking thing on the floor is our Roomba vacuum (my husband's sense of humor).

Some initial questions: We don't have much upper cabinetry in order to maximize windows. I hope the walk-thru pantry and west wall cabinetry (bottom of kitchen sketch) are enough. Will a fridge end up sticking out and blocking our passageway? Our plan is to buy moderately priced appliances for now. Is the work triangle reasonable?

Many thanks for your time!

Comments (14)