SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katclaws_mo

Oh Great...Even the Estate Sale People Don't Want Our Stuff :(

katclaws_mo
15 years ago

DH & I have been wanting to put our house for sale for a few months now, even with the bad market. It's just too much for to maintain right now. After caregiving for both my parents in this home for 6 years, it's just time to move on. Too much house for only 2 people & Too many memories.

In 2002, we had very nice in-law quarters added onto our existing home. My mom had just been dx'd with Alzheimers & things were getting hard for my Dad to handle it all (the house upkeep, Dr. appts., my Mom, etc. etc.) alone. So we convinced them to move here from the Chgo area.

At that time, I TRIED to convince them to get rid of as much stuff as possible. They paired down some, but I still had 185 boxes of "stuff" that they had accumulated over 50 years. The garage & sheds also got packed up.

Of course, it all got moved into our basement. They were of the Depression Era, so nothing could ever be thrown out.

And, my Dad loved to "putter" with all his stuff--until he was dx'd with Multiple Myeloma. He passed in 2005 & my Mom just passed December 2007.

Anyway, we had a couple who do Estate Sales come in to look at the boxes, clothes, a millon tools, gardening stuff & furniture etc. etc. Well, we have enough stuff, just not enough "antique or collector-worthy" stuff. They didn't feel it would be worth their time to get it set up without a better pay-off for them. I can respect that since that's what they do for a living.

Then I asked her about using a buy-out, clean-out service & she told me that they really undercut you & will never pay you enough for what it's worth. So, the stuff is not nice enough for an estate sale, but too good for a buy-out clean-out guy??? HUH?

And when I asked her opinion about what to do about old jewelry--like is it better to sell it off for scrap gold, or try to sell it intact she suddenly became interested again. She said if it was good quality vintage, she could put it in with one of her future sales. Now, since I'm not an appraiser, how would I know that? I just know it's probably from the 1940's & most likely costume jewelry.

I just want to get out from under all this clutter! I didn't care about making big bucks as I just wanted it all to go away, but it would have been nice to help pay some bills & additional repairs. We were also going to add quite a bit of our own stuff--like Noritake china, crystal, our leather furniture to help us pair down. And, some of the stuff really would be nice for someone else to use. I'd just hate to try & make a thousand trips to GoodWill. A garage sale is completely out of the question.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or experience with this kind of situation? Would an auction be an option? or try another Estate Sale company or just go with the buy-out guy & hope for the best? Or just get a huge dumpster & chuck it all?

I swear to God, that I will not do this to my son. I will NEVER put him through something like this. The caregiving was easy compared to this.

Thanks for letting me vent a little and ANY suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (16)