SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singingmicki_gw

What to put with Quarter Sawn White Oak?

singingmicki
12 years ago

My cabinet maker is busily making cabinets as I type, so things are moving along nicely. He hasn't gotten to the kitchen cabinets yet, which is why I haven't posted any follow ups to my "excited" post. I've chosen quarter sawn white oak for the stained wood in my kitchen/family/dining area which is all quite open. Because the wood is pretty expensive, I've incorporated a lot of painted cabinetry in the room as well. I think the painted cabinets will be good, also, because all the flooring will be stained wood, and it will help balance it all.

My trim and ceilings are in the creamy white family, my floors will be a medium/dark stain, and my island, media center, stairs, and dining room built-ins will be quarter sawn white oak.

My questions surround finishing the stained cabinets and choosing a paint color for the painted ones.

Should the stained cabinets be lighter than the floors?

What would be a good paint color for the painted cabinets (kitchen perimiter-including vent hood, kitchen desk, mud room, and utility room)? My house is definitely leaning towards a craftsman feeling, and I don't think that white or cream cabinets would work for me. I just can't seem to think of any alternatives. Any thoughts are welcome! I love opinions! This is part of my downstairs layout; the family room is to the right, and the dining room is below the kitchen.

This is the inspiration photo for my quarter sawn white oak cabinets.

Comments (12)