SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Replace honey oak doors w/white oak quarter sawn?

juddgirl2
9 years ago

Has anyone done this and made it work with the existing honey oak cabinet boxes? I would use quartersawn panels for the ends of the cabinet runs and use the same stain for the new doors and the existing frames. The Barker quartersawn doors are white oak.

My cabinets are good quality and sturdy condition honey oak (not sure if red or white) with partial overlay, concealed hinges, raised panel doors - and the dreaded cathedral arch! I definitely want to replace the doors/drawers with full overlay and recessed panel and change the color with white uppers and stained or darker painted lowers.

After painting numerous sample boards I'm thinking of BM White Dove for the upper cabinets and a different (not yellow based) color for the lowers that won't bring out the pink undertones in the in the existing granite. Finding that color is not as easy as I thought it might be!

Edgecomb Gray might work for the lowers but I'm also considering quartersawn oak in a darker stain and shaker style. So, would this work or would the existing oak frames and new doors/drawers be a mismatch in color and grain?

Also, any input on using a 2 tone, high contrast look of dark stained lowers (including peninsula) with white uppers? I don't know if it's a look I'd choose for a complete remodel, but it might work best with my current kitchen and the other warm woods used in other rooms.

A few 2-tone inspiration pictures - I have the same slate floor and ledge rock fireplace shown in the first 2 pictures:

{{gwi:2135269}}

Farmhouse Kitchen by London Kitchen Designers & Remodelers Harvey Jones Kitchens

{{gwi:2135270}}

Rustic Kitchen by Omaha Design-Build Firms Precision Enterprises, Inc.

Traditional Kitchen by Marietta Kitchen & Bath Designers Creative Cabinets and Faux Finishes. LLC

{{gwi:2135271}}

Transitional Kitchen by San Carlos General Contractors Allwood Construction Inc

{{gwi:2135272}}

Traditional Kitchen by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Nina sobiNina Design

Traditional Kitchen by Ottawa Cabinets & Cabinetry Laurysen Kitchens Ltd.

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 0:19

Comments (7)