SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
messing4

quarter sawn white oak kitchen cabinets ...... how to judge quality?

r m
3 years ago

We spent thousands of dollars extra to get quarter sawn white oak (rather than alder) cabinets. Our general contractor has his own cabinet shop, though he buys the doors from a factory. We chose a simple Shaker door style and a natural finish (just 3 topcoats of ENS).

Now that the cabinets have arrived and are being installed, we are questioning the overall quality. Three things were obvious right away:

1. some of the door faces are so rough-textured that it almost feels you could get a splinter (dust cloths might snag, my wife says the doors will be hard to clean). Should the door faces be smooth to the touch?

2. Is it "normal" to. have so much variation within a single cabinet (in fact within a single drawer front)? Are those vertical streaks (in the middle drawer in photo) normal grain? They look like something dripped during the finish process....

3. shouldn't the end panels be a better match to the faces and frames? They don't even look like quarter sawn at all (second. photo).

thanks for any feedback. I hate to butt heads with my contractor, but need to know what's fair.

Comments (5)