SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
repaintingagain_gw

Kitchen Island Layout - would be SO grateful for advice!

repaintingagain
14 years ago

I have finally come up with a kitchen island layout possibility.

Here are our list of considerations.

1. I've attached pictures of my current kitchen. We have considering flipping the rotation of the island but we do not have the space. So the direction of the butcher block table that is currently supplementing as the island is the direction that the island will need to go.

2. Considering the aisle widths we need to leave (min. of 42" and as big as 54" around the refrig. area) we have determined we do not have room for seating. Thanks to the input of some helpful folks on this forum!

3. Attached is one of my inspiration pictures for the island design of bookshelf along one whole side. I heard that can be a slight issue with keeping it clean - but I really want the island to stand out and love the idea of eventually keeping books on there (when my one year old won't grab them all down). If we went with this design, the open shelves would be facing the refrigeration/oven area.

4. Attached #3 and 4 are two different layouts in terms of the function of the island. Currently in our kitchen we only have 5 drawers (measly builders) so we desperately need drawers. We also need vertical slots to store pans, cookie sheets, etc.. We are great on pull out drawers in cabs. in this kitchen, so I'm talking real drawers for the island.

5. Also, we are planning a full overlay style cabinet to maximize space and have nice big drawers.

So my questions and need for input are around the following:

How does everyone think the open shelving facing the refrig. would look? or do you think simply have an open bookshelf facing the kitchen table would be better?

Function wise - any suggestions on dimensions or widths of drawer banks? or width of vertical slots?

Thank you for your input! We are not working with a kitchen designer for budgetary reasons, so I am so grateful for any help!!

(P.S. The "drawings are not fancy or to scale because I just made them on Word to demonstrate what I was thinking...)

Island Inspiration:

Current kitchen:

Comments (11)