SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sketchwell

Old house, funky kitchen, grateful for your layout advice!

scottie mom
8 years ago

Long time lurker here, and very grateful for all the advice I've picked up. I wonder if any of you could help me out here. I've been going around in circles and thought presenting it to a crowd of strangers might help me make sense of it!

The kitchen is 15' x 10' and it's in a 1920's bungalow approx 1000 sf. We've been chipping away at it over the years, and just made a big improvement by removing the old coal chimney to make way for a new range (36" Berta...thanks to all the appliance people who helped me make that decision!) We took the opportunity of the hole left by the former chimney to duct the hood straight through the roof. It's not moving ;)

The house came with some charming things, including a vintage stove that I just parted with. There's also a double drainboard cast iron sink that is in great condition. I like it and would like to reuse it, but am not wedded to the idea. There's also a pretty pair of windows on the west wall that I've resisted moving, but I think there just isn't a way to make this space work without giving them up. Oh: one of the more annoying limitations is the hatch that goes to the basement. It's a trap door that leads to the laundry, sad to say. There is no immediate plan to relocate laundry, so the hatch remains. We probably use it a 2-3 times a week for laundry.

My goal is to have some useful prep space kitchen that is pleasant to look at and pleasant to be in. It doesn't need to be perfect, and I don't intend to have a unified scheme of cabinetry--things can look more European, like furniture pieces. Something's gotta give, but I don't want to rob the space of its character.

Removing the chimney opened up the space so nicely that I want to consider my next move. In this next phase, I'd like to add some storage (I lost a pantry cabinet with the chimney) and replace the fridge.

I'll attach some existing drawings here, and a couple of ideas for your review next. If photos are more helpful, let me know.

Thank you SO much in advance. It's an amazing resource here and I've learned so much.

Comments (39)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012