SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatcoat2004

I finally did it ... I fired my contractor.

flatcoat2004
15 years ago

After he disappeared on March 31st, I have had periodic letters from him from his jail cell, telling me that he is going to bail out soon, going to be paroled soon, etc etc etc. I bought into his story until this week, when I checked the court website after his "probation hearing" to find that he has been sent back to jail until mid-August (at least). He pleaded guilty to charges of theft from client in SoCal. I am finally admitting defeat, and wrote to him to tell him exactly what I thought of him, and that our working relationship is over.

Sigh.

The good news is that I think I am fairly close to project completion. The bad news is that the entire house is an absolute mess, and I have no idea where many of the materials are.

But here is my question of the day for all you good folks ... my kitchen cabinets are installed, and right before the contractor disappeared, the soapstone folks came and templated. During templating, there was a lot of discussion between them and my contractor, and my contractor was going to modify some things before the soapstone arrived (the templaters were comfortable with him doing that). Of course, then he disappeared. The soapstone has been ready to install for ages now, but I have been holding off in the hopes that contractor will get out of jail and fix everything. Argh.

I am kicking myself for not forcing him to fix the cabinets right away, and for not understanding the issue better (most of the conversation was in Spanish). I know it was about the entire run of cabinets not being level.

Another issue is that the contractor was going to mud the walls in preparation for the tile backsplash. I *think* the template was made to allow for the thickness of the mud. Can the soapstone be installed before the backsplash is mudded ?

Should I just go talk to the soapstone company, explain the problem, and ask for help ?

I hate this. I am such a type A person, and I hate not knowing/understanding what the next step should be. I gotta tell you that my faith in people has really been shaken by this experience. I thought I was a pretty good judge of character, and I liked this fellow, but clearly I am not. I wish I had never met him.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES