SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aussies_gw

KM cabinets arrived - which flaws to reject/accept? [pics]

aussies
15 years ago

Our Kraftmaid cabinets have arrived and apparently we have 30 days to inspect them and report problems. Some of them have flaws and I'm not sure which ones are legitimate complaints and which ones I should just accept. My natural tendency is to be very picky ... DH considers it overly picky ... so I tend to focus in on things that maybe others wouldn't notice (although I have a feeling most of you are more like me ...).

I will add that we purchased these from a local independent dealer, not HD or Lowes. He will be coming around on Wednesday afternoon to take a look. I'm a little apprehensive because I was speaking to one of the sales people that works for him (in order to make the appointment) and I asked him who pays for replacements if things need to be replaced -- them or KM? He said it's a complex relationship, so it depends ... and was kind of vague. I called KM customer service for clarification. They said that they could only help me if we bought the cabs from HD or Lowes, and that I would have to deal with the store I bought them from.

So I had assumed that if there were problems, KM would replace them. Now I'm concerned that if it falls on the store to replace them, they may be less responsive to my complaints. (I don't know yet if this will be the case).

That's why I need to know in advance where to stand my ground.

Anyway, here's some pictures and descriptions ...

The first few are structural issues.

At the back of 2 of the wall cabinets, where the hanging rail meets the side panel, there is a piece of the plywood side panel broken off. (Note that KM touts their hanging rail as one of their quality features -- "exclusive "joint lock" construction ensures secure attachment of end panels to the hanging rail").

Cabinet 1.

Cabinet 2.

At the back of a 3rd wall cab, the hanging rail is not flush with the back of the cabinet and sits slightly crooked - shown below.

Cabinet 3 Left side ...

Right side ...

Right side from above ...

Cabinet 4. The trash pullout base cabinet has a split piece of wood at the top of the back.

Cosmetic issues ...

Door 1. Door on super susan has uneven stain near bottom of door.

Door 2. Door of wall cab has small scratch (maybe this could be fixed with repair kit??)

Door 3. Door has a tiny raised blob of stain [unable to photograph].

Shelf 1. One of shelves is cracked at the edge.

What do you think?

Comments (20)