SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jairosmom

Help with New Build Kitchen Layout

Michelle
9 years ago

Hello all! I usually post on the Building a Home forum, and this is my first post over here on kitchens (although I do read here too).

I've been impressed with your vast knowledge and hope you can help me design my new build kitchen. We are breaking ground as soon as our architect has our final plans complete.

So, let me know your thoughts on my current kitchen set up. I will have a full size Frigidaire refrigerator and a full size freezer, with the freezer being in the pantry. Contrary to the plans, there will be no upper cabinets on the window wall....that will be all windows, going to counter height, with an extended 10-12 inch counter like I've seen here. I'm planning on the window wall being the clean up area, with the island being the prep area. I'm planning on a Kohler stages 33 (or should I go 45?) in the island. Which side of the island should it be on? Also, I'm hoping to make the island 4 feet deep (whereas now I think it's about 3 feel deep). Also, there will be no raised countertop on the island....it will be one height.
To answer questions from the FAQs....

How many people will work food in the kitchen at the same time? Or, IOW, is this a one-butt kitchen?

I am really the MAIN cook....my husband and kid (three of them, ages 12, 9, and 5) do help with cleanup. And, I'd like to include my kids more in the cooking end as well.

Are there any special cooking needs - and related appliances and storage - to consider? (Do you bake, microwave popcorn, keep Kosher, make espresso, grill indoors, etc.)

Yes, I bake and we microwave popcorn. We also love espresso, but have a Nespresso machine that will sit on the counter. I don't think I have any room for wall ovens, so we'll just do a nice oven/range combo. Either gas or induction. Microwave will either go in pantry, or a microwave drawer in island....thoughts on that?

Who else will use the kitchen and for what? Coffee with the neighbor, feeding the dog, little kids doing homework, big kids surfing the net, etc. Consider all the possible non-food activities as well as any users� special needs: toddlers, elderly, physically challenged, etc.

We do have three dogs that need to be fed. I picture kids doing homework at the island. I will have a computer in the desk nook near the pantry.

What is the traffic situation? Does part of the kitchen function as a passageway from one part of the home to another? Where do the groceries come in and where does the garbage go out?

Traffic will go through to the office/pantry/and out to door to the screen in porch. This traffic will mostly be myself. Pantry has two doors, one near the entry from the garage, that is where groceries will mostly enter. I'm planning on two garbage pullouts....one near window sink and one in island for prep garbage. I will also need a recycling center.

What are your storage needs? Do you shop frequently or prefer to keep a lot on hand? Do you...

Comments (6)