SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geargirly

I think I am going to do a temporary remodel

12 years ago

I was just about to go for a full kitchen remodel on a house we will close on in about a month. The kitchen is absolutely unworkable. It is teeny tiny with barely any counter space, horrible white tile counters (faux?) that go up into a backsplash with ugly flowers. The cabinets are not even remotely salvageable and I think almost everything is salvageable! The cabinets seem over sized with very large doors that have no detail, just a thin piece of plywood. The fridge and oven are just stuck in their own spaces with room around them and no cabinetry. On one side of the kitchen is a pass through by a bank of low windows looking over the deck, and a door to the deck, so really wasted space, there is more room than needed for a pass through, but the low windows are prohibitive.

The overall house is a really cute cottage, about 2,100 square feet. Just off the kitchen right now is the living room on one side, and then a room that they are calling a bedroom, but it has the downstairs staircase in it, so yah I'm thinking this is going to be part of the kitchen, but that will obviously be a more extensive remodel, and I am starting to think living in the space and getting a feel for it to see where I want the kitchen, dining area, and how we are using the space will be important. There is another small room off of this whole kitchen weird room with the stairs. Do we want that as a guest room? Do we need an office? Should this be part of a kitchen family room or are we using the living room for that? These are all questions that I just don't know yet! So I think I need to be patient and wait.

Right now some ideas I have are ripping out the kitchen myself and getting my handyman to repair any wall issues. I am currently rehabbing a vintage sink from craigslist, but it really isn't a nice one but it does stand alone, so I could put that for the sink, and maybe build a few ikea base cabinets or something and then add some wood countertops. I used some on my current house and used many coats of water lox and they are beautiful! I think I would invest in some nice appliances and that could be used in another re-model. The floors are fine. Does this sound like a waste of $? I can't really call it a refresh because really it will be a total gut of the current kitchen, but not permanent. I am also thinking maybe stone remnants, totally unfitted and other ideas like my pantry in the other room with the stairs.....

Sorry so long!

Comments (8)