SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Breaking up long backsplash with tiled walls and a shelf

oldbat2be
11 years ago

The backsplash area along my cooktop wall is a long stretch (16' long). I came to the conclusion (all on my own, WOOHOO!, so I'm probably wrong) that I could do either a bold large tile flush along the whole backsplash or a simpler square tile with some sort of built out/ built in shelf behind the cooktop.

Here's a bold option (photoshopped).

Close-ups from side:

The cooktop area is pulled forward 9" from the back wall and I don't use the countertop space directly behind the cooktop as it is now. It feels far back and just looks empty. I'd like to add appeal with a tiled display area but don't want a flat tiled focal point on the vertical wall; rather, would like a tiled horizontal focal point for displaying objects (if that makes sense).

I think having a raised shelf of some sort adds appeal and would be a nice display spot. I've had a temporary shelf in place for a few weeks and like the feel.

I would plan on tiling the shelf and building a tiled structure to support and surround it. I'm planning on a simple square 4" or 6" Heath tile but am not going to discuss color in this thread :)

I'm presenting two options below which I created with Google Sketchup and would like the your input on which option looks better.

Would this add to the kitchen or will it distract? Do you have pictures of something similar?

Option 1 - Side Walls Extend Depth of Shelf

From top:

Option 1 from left side:

Option 1 from the right:

Option 2 - Sides Extend Full Depth of Upper Cabinets (18")

Option 2 from the front:

Note I dislike this look (where cabinets look plopped on top of countertop). Hopefully I will avoid it if cabinet sides adjacent to cooktop are tiled?

Traditional Kitchen design by Vancouver Interior Designer Enviable Designs Inc.

Hoping very much for some inspiration from you all... I just want to order tile and be done with it.... (and have it look nice of course). THANKS!

Comments (7)