SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycbluedevil

So it's cork or linoleum--does that sound right and WWYD?

nycbluedevil
11 years ago

As I posted the other day, I am redoing a narrow galley kitchen. I am putting in walnut cabinets and white marble countertops and backsplash. I want the cabinets to be the star but I want to keep the space as light as I can. The kitchen is partly open to the dining room. The rest of the apartment has dark stained red oak floors. I am stuck on the kitchen floor.

Don't want tile--have porcelain now and I hate how hard it is. I have back problems and am not getting any younger.

Tried wood but it is just so much wood.

Thinking about cork and marmoleum. What do you think about the cork with the walnut? The walnut is busy--will the cork fight with it? How well will cork stand up to the melting ice cubes that invariably end up on the floor or the water that DH gets all over the place when he does the dishes?

My KD at the very high end shop made a face when I suggested linoleum, so I suspect that he just hasn't used it. Other people in our apartment building just spend 200K on their kitchen and put in linoleum and they love it.

Will linoleum look better than cork? I think it will wear better. And maybe I can get more in the way of lighter colors that will provide a contrast with the walnut.

So what do you all think? I have figured out almost everything else--this is the one thing that has me stumped.

TIA

Comments (29)