SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

My So-Called Good "Friend" Tried To Steal My Husband: WWYD?

LynnNM
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

For many years, our husbands have played golf together. As couples, we'd gotten together many times and even vacationed together at various golf resorts. I'd never felt like this ever before with a friend, but I didn't like the way "Sue" was trying to interact with my DH. She was blatantly flirting with him. He was always friendly, but did not respond in kind. But, this was happening more and more when we were together at events. I mentioned this to my DH on several occasions and he agreed that she was definitely flirting, but he said not to worry. That, of course, he wasn't that kind of man. And he isn't.

And then, this was several years ago, DH came home one evening and told me that "Sue" had left her DH "Jim" for another one of our friend's husband! His wife was devastated. They were close friends with "Sue" & "Jim" too. I have to stop and say right here that, yes, it takes two to have an affair. Anyhoo, both couples eventually filed for divorce. And then, about 8 months later, Sue and Jim reconciled and got back together. The other couples' marriage was, sadly, ruined and they did divorce. While all of this was happening, DH told me that Sue had come right out on two occasions and told him that she had strong feelings towards him and wanted to hook up. DH was totally not interested and told her in no uncertain terms. She (thankfully) stopped using him as her physician after that.

OK, so this all happened several years ago. Our husbands are still close friends and still play golf together. DH has never told Jim of Sue's overtures, which I think was a good idea. And, although they did have some major problems with their marriage (obviously) before the affair, they've since gone to extensive counseling and are now a very happy couple.

And, although they've never since asked DH & I over for dinner or whatever, Sue is always very friendly whenever I run into her. DH tells me that she now acts like nothing ever happened and that she'd never tried to entice him. I guess that's good, as well. She's now the soul of propriety and a loving wife to Jim. I'm still not sure if she knows that DH told me all about her overtures back then.

My question to you all is, although I have forgiven Sue in my heart, as she was I know, desperately unhappy with Jim then, would you let bygones be bygones and take up your friendship again, but with a happier couple now? I am torn by this every time I run into Sue at the store or wherever, which is what precipitated this question to you all today. I ran into her again just the other day. What always holds me back is the plain bald-faced fact that my so-called good friend tried to destroy my marriage and actually did destroy another friend's marriage. She's changed, yes. I'm sure she deeply regrets it all. But, although I can and have forgiven her, I'm having a hard time forgetting. How could a friend do that? I know that I couldn't, but can someone do that and really, deep down change and be trusted again? My sweet mom has a saying that keeps coming to mind: "With a friend like that, you don't need enemies!". Am I wrong?

So, what would you do?

Comments (57)