SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

I am SO mad I could scream! WWYD??

loralee_2007
16 years ago

Drywalling has now been completed and we followed up with our custom stair builder to schedule him to come in and do the framing for our curved stairs.

When we met onsite with him 2 months ago he specifically asked me if I wanted light or dark maple. I told him it had to be light maple, and he said he was thinking dark maple. I told him "No, it HAS to be light maple because that's what my cabinets and flooring are."

Find out now that he went with dark maple when I SPECIFICALLY TOLD HIM that it HAD to be light!! He now says "that's what I quoted you on". Nowhere on the quote does it mention dark maple. I didn't even know dark maple existed until he said that onsite! He also said he didn't think it mattered because I was going to be using a stain, and I replied, rather testily too, that my stain is very light!

He hasn't completed the stairs so this is what I'm wondering:

- How dark is dark maple? I've never seen it so any pics would be very much appreciated. The stain I will be using is called "ginger" (has a very slight orange tint to it), any thoughts whether this stain will work with dark maple?

- Is there really a cost difference between dark & light maple? If there is, shouldn't he have specified in his quote that it was dark so we could have fixed it?

- If he had based his quote on the dark maple, when I told him onsite that it HAD to be light maple, he NEVER told me the quote was already based on dark because we would have instantly fixed that because I DON'T want dark!

I am just really ticked because these stupid stairs cost $15,000 and now I find out he disregarded what I told him and just did what he wanted. I just don't know what to do from here so your advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW, we've only paid him $2000 so far, and he really does absolutely stunning woodwork which is why we went with him.

Comments (26)