SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nobodyspecial_gw

Microwave location? Please help!

NobodySpecial
12 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm in the middle of a minor kitchen renovation and have found this forum to be a tremendously useful resource. But now I'm confronted by a specific question for which I can't find an answer already provided.

My problem is where to put a Monogram Advantium built in microwave. I'm replacing our current OTR microwave with a proper hood, and so need to find a new home for a microwave. Our original plan had been to put it under the counter in the island, but now that I have the thing I'm worried that this is too low. The door opens down, and the controls are mounted vertically so I'll always be bending down to see the display and set it. (I'm not super tall -- 71" -- but still). So here are the possibilities:

1. Go with the original plan, in the island under the counter. I know this is against GE instructions, I'm okay with that. But it might be too low for good ergonomics.

2. Do a bi-level island and put it in the island, but higher -- around 46 inches to the top. The higher bit of the island would continue around the back and 1 side, and we'd get barstools for seating. The tradeoff here is that I love the open feel of the kitchen with a standard height island, and am a bit concerned that a taller island will close it off.

3. Put it in the wall cabinet run in a tall cabinet on the end of a run. This will mean replacing some wall cabinets, which I'd rather not do but will if I must. The tradeoff here is that a tall, deep cabinet will close off the eating area from the food prep area of the kitchen.

4. Put it in the wall cabinet run in a base cabinet, built higher than standard -- the top would be about 46 (again) off the floor. Good ergonomics and location; the only fly in the ointment is that it'd go under a wall cabinet that starts at the standard 54 from the floor. How funny will it look to have that counter with only 8" of clearance to the wall cabinet? It'd be 30" wide.

I'd value any wisdom or experience you could share.

Comments (6)