SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ejbrymom

What microwave location would you pick for a small kitchen?

ejbrymom
14 years ago

A couple of choices - each has its pros and cons.

We still use a microwave for reheating coffee, tea, defrosting, occasional popcorn.

Choice:

1. OTR microwave - current location. CON-space saving but very visibily from family room that is open to kitchen. Visually it is the FIRST thing the eye sees when it looks into the kitchen. no wood hood over range then. Doesn't vent as well as a real hood.

Pros - space saving and leaves lots of room for island storage and pantry storage next to frig.

2. Island Microwave drawer - pros allows for plenty of pantry storage and a hood over the range (which is very visible from family room- would be very pretty). Is visibly out of the way. Close to coffee pot and stove. Cons - island storage is nearly gone one you had a microwave drawer and a cabinet for cutting boards and cookie sheets. (island is small - 4+ft x 2.5+ ft). Makes area a little tight by the range and microwave - can't open them both at same time.

3. Microwave drawer or upper cabinet shelf next to frig. Pros - it is right next to the frig which is convenient for frozen/frigerated items needed to be heated. Is out of line of family room sight. Can still have hood. Lots of island storage. Cons - eats up pantry space. I have less than 4ft by the frig for pantry and a cabinet for glassware. MIcrowave drawer =24" cabinet. That leaves 20-24" pantry closet.

Help. I am stuck. I have a small kitchen 10x8ft of ktichen space (not eat in) + a nearly 7ft frig/pantry wall. Each has pros and cons. I have to compromise somehwere.

If I can get island storage and a wood hood then I should be okay with less pantry space. IF I get an OTR again then I will have plenty of island and pantry space but a big microwave staring at us all the time from the family room. And If I get an drawer/built in next to the frig then I lose pantry but keep a ton of island storage.

Thanks soo much for taking the time to read this and consider solutions. :) - Jen

Comments (16)