SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hellonasty

Who planned your kitchen?

hellonasty
13 years ago

I'm relatively new here so I hope this hasn't already been a thread. Here goes.

Who planned your kitchen?

In my case, we went to a reputable Kitchen Design company and one of their excellent designers did the plan for the cabs that they sell. Together with my husband the 3 of us tweaked the plans til we were happy. The order for the cabs went in today. Will be delivered in about 6 weeks.

The rest of the stuff... the appliances, floor and backsplash, sink and faucet, etc... I planned entirely and ran everything by my husband til we agreed upon what is best. Now I'm trying to get everything ordered.

It is very stressful to do all the planning but maybe less stressful that both the husband and wife picking things out and having to decide! I've been researching for the past, oh, 10 years for this reno so I'm pretty psyched!

What about you? How did you plan your kitchen renovation?

Comments (20)

• focylrac
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My planning history is fairly similar to yours with the exception that my husband was not actively involved...he just can't visualize a concept and deferred to my decisions. I used a KD who represented the cabinets I ultimately purchased. I discovered many tips here at GW that I requested she implement into the design. I had many meetings w/ her and quite honestly that part of the process took much longer than I ever imagined. I am ALMOST finished w/ the process and yes, there were plenty of stressful times along the way but now they are distancing themselves from my memory. I had only dreamed of my 'new' kitchen for years w/ absolutely no idea that this forum existed. For anyone who wants to be actively involved in the planning this site is a treasure trove!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

We started out with a Kitchen Designer...well actually 3 since we were "bidding" it out. We told them all the same thing...what we wanted and that we're not "creative" people and would need a lot of help with design & finishes.

From there, we eliminated one as he completely ignored everything we told him we wanted and designed his own idea. The design was sent to us via email and we tried to contact him several times over 3 weeks to talk about it. We even tried the "old fashioned" method of a telephone call! He never responded so we decided he would be a problem and obviously he didn't want our business.

The second KD was very responsive and open, but he didn't really know much about designing kitchens...he and his partners were GCs-turned-Kitchen & Bath store/designers. We worked with him quite a bit but most ideas had to come from us...he just drew them up.

The third KD had many more ideas and was much more knowledgeable about kitchens and what she sold (she just couldn't measure!) and she tried to give us what we wanted...pointing out things like insufficient aisle space b/w the edges of the island we wanted.

After looking at our various options with the latter two, we decided on the third KD. She just seemed to be the most creative, knew so much about her products, and was responsive.

THEN I found this site. I was searching for information on quartz countertops but when I found this site and read all the design threads, I realized (1) that my KD was right in her warnings to us and (2) there were a lot of other ideas out there.

SO, my quest for a new design began. I started with a clean slate and told my KD to design what she would do with this space. I then asked for help here seeing first if anyone could figure out a way to get an island in my space (and I got a lot of creative ideas!), but in the end I ended up with what I have now...a "U" with short legs & each leg a peninsula plus a run of cabinets opposite the base of the "U" plus a corner pantry. Surprisingly (or maybe not), both my KD and the people here came up with very similar designs...the only real differences were the second peninsula and pantry. My KD initially objected to the corner pantry (she wanted me to get pantry cabinets instead) and the "mini" peninsula (one of the short legs), but I insisted on both.

I now have an extremely functional kitchen that looks great (to me!) and that I absolutely love!

Oh, and the people here very patient with me in explaining why my kitchen really couldn't support an island with sufficient aisles, but meanwhile trying to fit one in.

BTW...I learned so much during my kitchen design that I now try to help others with theirs. I even try to return the great service they did to me convincing me not to have an island that when I see others in a situation similar to mine, I try to do the same.

• Related Discussions

Dumb question.. Who prepares your site plan?

Q

Comments (4)
    A surveyor would do the plat -- easements. If you have utility poles on your property that would probably be marked in conjunction with easement. You'd need a topographic survey to do the slope.
    ...See More

Who drew up your remodeling plans?

Q

Comments (8)
    We remodeled, moved walls too, and wanted the peace of mind in knowing that we'd end up with solid construction that wouldn't cause future problems (at least not cause them within a short time frame). Because our original space was horribly laid out (4 rooms involved), we went with an architect to get a plan with better use of space...and we got a wonderful plan. During the project, because we ended up needing support advice when one load bearing wall was due for demo, so we also called in a structural engineer for just that piece of the project. That was another good decision as a previous owner had really muddled the space we were working in and had done some really half-a... things to support the roof in their 80's reno. We general contracted the project and did some of the work ourselves but also hired some out. Having an architect's plan allowed us to double check everything that the workers did and it prevented alot of confusion. We're in a 1918 bungalow and wanted our work to be very sympathetic with the design of the rest of the house so we chose an architect who specialized in old homes. We'd also seen his work on other homes and we made sure that we communicated well (we spoke a need and it made it into the plan). He covered our bases on all code requirements but we had to fine tune a couple of things with our local building department and I handled all that with phone calls and visits. We chose the structural engineer through recommendations of our neighbors. I can't comment on design firms or UBuild it, but I'd go this route again in a minute. It made the planning and execution pretty painless for us.
    ...See More

Kitchen plan - please give your feedback!

Q

Comments (8)
    How many people will cook in this kitchen? I personally really like corner cooktops, but, if installed as you show it, they don't have much "butt-room." If more than one person will cook, you really need about 5" lateral room on either side of the cooktop. This winds up eating up a lot of room -- something like 53" along the walls. (Even a 30" cooktop set the way you have it eats up a lot -- something like 46" minimum.) On your plan, is there any reason the fridge cannot slide away from the sink to create some more counterspace? Your plan does not leave much room between the range and sink. If it were mine, I'd move the fridge and then scootch the sink away from the cooktop.
    ...See More

Week 74: What's for dinner....or planning your kitchen to your style

Q

Comments (45)
    My kitchen remodel was absolutely designed around how I cook & how we use the kitchen. Three things I wanted were: 1. Lots of natural light - I cook from-scratch meals almost every day and spend a lot of time here. In addition to prep/cooking, this is where most casual entertaining happens, where I fold laundry, work on the computer, and where DH & I eat most meals. I used to have one small window and we looked at walls of upper cabinet boxes (depressing). We eliminated many uppers, added storage in the island, put the range in the corner so that this is now what I see when I'm working there. 2. Induction range - I also chose my stove for how I cook. I prefer the look of a pro-style gas stove but chose induction because the perfect stovetop temp control works best for my style of cooking. I don't do wok or high sear frying, but for 9 months of the year you'll likely see a pot on my stovetop. I do lots of stocks, soups, stews & chowders. Induction was made for simmering! Here's the pot of chicken stock I have going on this rainy day. 3. Big stone (no prep sink) island -I chose to have a big, uninterrupted island top that, in addition to being our preferred everyday eating spot, also works as a serving table for buffets (has the plugs for crockpots/warming trays). It also allows for a number of people to work around it with room to spare. Like when the grands come over for the annual Christmas cookie bake ;) There are SO many elements I just love in other kitchens posted here but some just wouldn't have worked as well for me. I've used this kitchen for almost a year now, though, and still appreciate it every day. Great thread to get people in the planning stages to really consider their priorities for use over just looks. ETA - Happy Birthday, Texas_Gem!
    ...See More
  • lowspark
    13 years ago

My husband and I shopped for everything together. It was good for me to not do it alone as he would ask questions I hadn't thought of or remember things I didn't hear. He mostly deferred to my choices since the kitchen is primarily my domain. On the few things he felt strongly about, I either compromised or talked him into seeing it my way. He's a pretty good guy about letting me have my vision.

There have been a couple of times when I wanted to either buy a piece of furniture or rearrange things when he was sure it was a bad idea. I convinced him to give it a try and then he's always admited I was right! So I think when he and I disagree on something aesthetic, if I feel strongly about it, he gives in.

As far as the layout, it took tens of iterations before the design was final. I bought some cheap-o layout software and just started with my old layout and played with it till I got it where I thought it would work best. I did get input from friends and KDs along the way. And of course the plethora of ideas I got here made a huge difference. Examples: frameless cabinets, walk in pantry, counter height bay window, etc. The list goes on.

Now, ~5.5 years later, I still marvel at how much better the layout is now than before. It just plain works. And I still love everything I picked out. There are some very minor things I would change, things I only know now because I've been using the kitchen for a long time. I don't regret those things because I really couldn't have figured out EVERYTHING! And in fact, a couple of them are changeable so I might do them once my kids are out of college and I have money again!!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I drew floorplans for years and saved some in an envelope. We understood the problems we were facing. At some point, I bought a Kitchen & Bath mag that had a good spread showing standard options in kitchen design--the corridor kitchen, the L kitchen, etc. I studied walkpaths in the illustrations and internalized a lot of it, esp. the number of walking people in kitchen at a time. This was invaluable.

We were trying to design a modest DIY 2-person retirement kitchen that would seem small until large party events required it to function as a big kitchen. Because of some unique and difficult physical problems with our original house, such as an old front step and basement stair embedded in the action zone and because of local setback law, we had problems with some basic stuff so we called in a modest construction company's designer that DH felt he could communicate with about roof lines, etc. He drew about 4 different drafts. It was not until I saw this one that I relaxed and said okay. It was a classic G-shaped kitchen, which my posts have discussed since I began posting. From there, we tweaked it while getting bids from cabinetmakers, who used software to show cabinet configurations. DH and I spent a lot of time thinking about usage of the space, before we learned the GW formal term "zone."

I didn't find the GW until most of the design was done and the cupboards ordered, but many of the discussions have validated our ideas. Designer really urged us to change the entrance into the dining room but we stubbornly refused until very recently, so blueprint shows the stubborn era. DH showed an early plan to a second designer from an upscale design-build company who immediately said, "omit the upper cupboards and put in more windows," an idea we accepted. I don't know if our original designer would own up to the eventual design, but I think it's good and hope I will enjoy and use it.

I also hope I can find a plasterer because I need one to repair the dining room walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: annotated blueprint

• hellonasty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We all have similar stories!

I already knew I wanted to completely change the order of my kitchen. The current layout is using the space so incredibly poorly. There's no counter space, no cabinets, no dishwasher, no ventilation hood.

I pretty much have a 16x8 square... but about a third of one side is a little wider than 8', more like 11. There is an entry way closet that eats into that side of the room that we are removing so the space will increase on the 11 foot. At the 8' end is the breakfast nook. We require the breakfast nook in the kitchen as we do not a have dining room in the house (bummer). A friend of mine suggested years ago that change the layout into a L so we have a 16' run of cabinets, fridge and range on the long wall, and wrap it around in L shape to the 8' wall, with the sink and DW under the window at the end of the room on the 8'wall.

So we had our first appointment with the designer of reputable kitchen company, gave him our measurement, told him we want contemporary... and we watched him sit there an in about 15 minutes he drew up what is more or less about to become our kitchen. We did not tell him we wanted to reverse the working order of the kitchen, he came up with that on his own. And I was really glad he did, because any time I tried to mention it to my husband that I thought we should move everything around to better utilize the weird space of the small room he was NOT into it. I think he just had a hard time visualizing it and wasn't sure if the gas, water and everything else could be moved as easily as it can be. But hearing the KD express the same ideas I had and seeing it laid out on paper made him realize it was a good idea.

Since the kitchen is on the small side and we require the eat in area, there isn't much room to play with, at all. We can't have an island. The New eat in nook is going to be on the wide side of the room. We're going to have a 90" bench with 3 30" cabinets over it and 3 30" cabs under (in the base of the bench). We have 2 small annoying soffitty things in the ceiling we can't just get rid of and he helped us figure out the best way we can deal with them. And as for the rest of the room, he designed it in a really nice way that we were happy with, and allowed us to offer our opinions (in the end I 86'ed the idea of having 2 base cabinets with pullouts which I think I might have wanted in the beginning, and changed them to drawers. Most of that decision came from me not liking the way it looked in the plan. It looked like an office or bar in that area of the room, which I don't want. Also, the though of having to open the doors then pull out the pull out shelves seemed like extra steps that would just annoy me. And, I kept reading here how happy people are they went with all base drawers) with a few tweaks here and there. He likes designing contemporary, he's very easy to get along with and returns phone calls, and is very helpful. We never went to talk to anyone else after meeting him. We never looked at another line of cabinets (well I used to want Scavolini so badly and we went to them several years ago, but we know they're just too expensive), never got a different design, never shopped around. Of course there are other brands I like (more expensive) and I'm constantly wondering whether or not there is a better design or layout... but I'm glad now that the cabinet order is in that we simplified that process as much as possible cause with all the appliance planning and everything else it's a bit much to have to decide on and I'm kinda tired of constantly second guessing myself.

I wish I could know now how I'm going to feel about the layout. You can't figure everything out, it's true! So I try and go over everything in my mind, pretend like I'm in the new kitchen prepping, cooking, cleaning up... to see how the flow goes. But like I said, I don't have a ton of room to work with so I do think we made the best of the space with this new layout. And now it doesn't matter cause the order is in and it's too late to make any changes even if we wanted to. So I'm trying to not think about it too much and just be happy that soon I have have my dream kitchen :) Demolition beings around July 12th. We shall see!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

We're doing a major house renovation so we had an architect. We spent months on the kitchen tweaking it. I took it to 6 cabinet stores for bids and asked KD's for any suggestions (just got back 1 one or 2). Then a day before ordering cabinets I put it up here and GWers totally changed the design to a much better kitchen. I should have not wasted my time and money with the architect. I tell friends they're great for the overall design but for the details go here or to a KD. I investigated and chose all the appliances, granite, backsplash, paint, lights, hardware, etc. My DH only validates - he doesn't have a strong opinion. His baby is the home automation system - which I let him run with it.

• sayde
    13 years ago

I did several iterations of drawings for an all new kitchen. Showed the plans to several kitchen places. Never got any useful input on any of the design specifics. It turned out that the most useful thing that two of them said, rather tentatively, was "Are you really sure you want to take out these gumwood cabinets?" That turned out to be the best guidance, really, and fast forward, we are now planning to keep the gumwood and restore them. Sometimes the help comes in an unexpected guise.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Everyone here plus a short, paid consultation with a designer.

The designer was very helpful early in clarifying issues and priorities and making suggestions on the initial layouts. I did not ask for a complete kitchen design, I asked for approaches and issues. I was very happy with the consult - it helped us establish that we wanted a greater connection to the outside world, better working path, and to never, ever again, buy a full sized, black refrigerator.

Everyone on the board was very helpful. I really want to say not only with the new layout but also in helping me keep straight when I was so incredibly stressed out. I was buried by the death of my father, having to suddenly remodel the kitchen, the attitude of the insulation contractor whose workmanship wrecked the kitchen, the missing window header, the ongoing porch replacement that I really don't know what would have happened without everyone here, because I couldn't think straight and I knew it. There are many people I thank for their support, ideas and criticism.

I think I might love the new kitchen. It's hard to tell exactly when the painting is not done, no drawer fronts, no wall stuff installed and gear still piled up everywhere on the first floor (and still sprinkled with fairy dust). We're DIY with pro assistance, and we're now racing the permit expiration.

I particularly remember the hand-washing, pot filling, prep sink thread where it moved around to three different locations without a completely clear winning location. Now, having worked at that cabinet run, I can say any of the three locations would have worked and all of them have small defects. The way it is now, I have a deluxe wet work area, a place to land any pot, fill pots, drain pots and wash the occasional veg.

Now, if only I could remember it was there before I get half-way to the bathroom with the pot that needs filling!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Ours was a new build, and I did the design. I didn't expect that anyone could understand how our family of 10 use a kitchen and what our needs are like I do. I worked up the vision and shopped for materials, and ran things and ideas across my husband and kids along the way...Sometimes had to force them to look at yet another rendering and give an opinion. Oftentimes, they couldn't tell the difference from one to the next and thought I was nuts. :-) I got some help and encouragement here along the way, especially narrowing down a layout for my baking/bfast/fridge wall, and mostly just finding others who were always glad to look and give an opinion! This place was a little dangerous, introducing me to things and appliances I hadn't known about or thought of before, but once I got past the temptations, my own priorities fell back into place, and I was able to incorporate the things that mattered to me the most. DH was/is my cabinetmaker, so I didn't have to worry about dealing with dealers, their KDs, or the limitations of any one line. A great blessing.

• nishka
    13 years ago

My husband and I along with the cabinet builder/contractor. We opted to go semi custom. The doors and drawer fronts are solid cherry manufactured locally and the boxes are 3/4" plywood custom built.

We also paid $100 to Home Depot for their design with gave me a few ideas for cool gadgets but not much else, and the price for what we wanted compared to the contractor was about $8500 higher, so we went with the established contractor.

We are using the same footprint of our current kitchen since it is perfect for the space but building a two tier island with a breakfast bar.

Most of our changes are upgrades rather than redesigns. Our current kitchen is nine years old but was never what we wanted when we bought our new house. Cabinets are builders grade MDF with maple veneers, granite is a dull verde butterfly, etc. We figured if we got the floorplan we wanted we could change anything insides someday.....and starting Monday, that someday has finally arrived for the kitchen.

• needsometips08
    13 years ago

Me - every aspect, including cabinet layout, appliance choices, everything. I hired a "color designer" to help pick the cabinet color.

When I first came here, I was nowhere near picking a cabinet maker and I'd never heard of a KD. Yet I saw everyone had these fancy floorplans. I had no idea how they got them so I asked one person and then bought what product they used. (Better Homes and Garden Kitchen Design software). From there, I learned how to use it and made up about 30 kitchen plans.

I presented the top 3 here, got feedback, tweaked them, chose one I had my heart set on that was strongly cautioned against here, hired a cabinet maker and went through the painful process of having to then fire my obstinate cabinet maker who would only build me "his" kitchen (not mine), and let go of my beloved floorplan in favor of the more functional one as recommended here.

So I took that newest floorplan, which really is SO well planned out - and mostly built now - to a new cabinet maker and hired her. She was astounded. She'd never before or since had a client come to her with a computer drafted floorplan in hand that came from no professional, just client-originated. I credited the helpful folks here.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Me. I had excellent advice and commentary from the forum, and also from the experts I was hiring, but in the end it was me.

It doesn't matter how you get there though. I'm working on a design plan now (not a kitchen) with someone who totally can't relate to black squiggles on a white page but responds to color squiggles. It's very interesting how different people relate to different kinds of input. Current client cannot visualize anything. I can see the whole world in 3D color just from a B&W top view.

The best part is how thrilled you are!! Keep us posted on your progress!

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

we did all the planning and instllation of the cabinets, flooring, and counters...

we used the cabinet company sheet of their products/sizes. made sure we had the sizes for stove, fridge, and d/w. took the drawing in to the kitchen center at home depot. had a "pro" come out and do all the actual measuring, before ordering.

2 things i'd do differently..NOT plan a wedding for ds at the same time, and i should have insisted we totally gut instead of using beadboard covering walls...

• sochi
    13 years ago

I did it, with help from many here on the forum. We did have an architect draw the plans as walls were being removed. My cabinet maker did drawings of the cabinets for us to help us visualize his idea of wrapping the walnut around our white pantry wall.

• Maria410
    13 years ago

I read this forum for I don't know how many years before I even started thinking about the kitchen in this house. I spent a lot of time debating whether or not to take out the dining room wall to make the 1920s kitchen larger and more open. In the end the wall came down. I carefully watched this forum for how others critiqued the layouts of things like zones and storage. Then I designed my kitchen myself knowing best how I cook and how my mom and I cook together (she visits on Sundays) as well how my husband sous chefs on occasion.

In my work life, I have had the opportunity to space plan very diverse spaces (an art museum photography suite, several office spaces for a non-profit organization, etc.) so I understood how important knowing every detail ahead of time was. So things went well when my contractor would fire questions at me as I was leaving for work (where do you want the outlets, etc.).

We purchased cabinets through a local lumber supply place who gave us the contractor discount so that I could spend my budget on electrical, plumbing, drywalls, etc. We had a lot of code updating to do. My husband and I picked all the finishes together so that he would like the kitchen as much as I did and that has turned out to be true.

We are very happy with the kitchen. It works really well for daily use and for large family get togethers with many people cooking and prepping at once.

In my previous house, I used a KD for the kitchen. It worked out okay but there were always things that bugged me about that kitchen. I really love my new kitchen.

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

We did it ourselves with help from this forum. I'd worked with decorators in the past, and it always seemed like the end result was never quite "us." More "the decorator." With Google SketchUp, we drew up the layout. You can import in photos (like your backsplash). The result isn't perfect, but it helps you visualize the space.

That said, I'm starting to second guess my choices. So maybe it would have been easier to have some professional help.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I knew exactly what I wanted and visited numerous custom and non-custom cabinetmakers in my area. None could give me the look I wanted at a decent price. The next closest was over three times what I ended up paying.

I was armed with four pictures from various magazines. My island is based on a Chalon island. (Thank you, Chalon.) The two hutches and range hood were based on pieces seen in articles. I took bits and pieces that I liked and incorporated them into my pieces. I finally found a local company (since closed) that ordered bespoke pieces for their shop from England. He had started doing kitchens, but I did not think I could afford them. Thank goodness DH pushed me to go see. What could it hurt? Turned out he was way less than I ever imaged and we were set. The only piece I asked for advice on was the fridge unit.

I had found the seal from a NYC bridge online before I ordered the cabinetry. Granite and was easy pick. I did not find/order tile until after we moved in. I love my kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Moi, me, myself and I.
    : )

~boxerpups

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Just me - designer of layout & cabinets, GC, finisher (cabinets, floors, & walls), & electrician. I also got to pay for it.