SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piglet_in_md

Please show me your kichen/family room dividers

Piglet_in_MD
12 years ago

Hi all,

If anyone has a cabinet-like divider between their kitchen or breakfast area and their family room (or something comparable), can you please show me? I currently have making up the back of the house: Kitchen, then breakfast area (which is technically in the kitchen in that the floor is the same and it's open to the U-shaped kitchen), and then a "knee wall" divider which is long - 7 feet - separating the kitchen from the FR. I am considering if I can do some kind of a cabinet area to match new (future) kitchen cabinets to replace the knee wall. The 7 ft. wall is TOO dividing of the space, and I want it more open, but I think to have nothing there might not be maximizing my space options. I've gone back and forth about putting a row of cabinets there, a hutch, a desk, or just leaving it empty for now.

Here's my first floor layout:

There is a sliding glass door in the breakfast area (not shown in the layout above).

I saw the following pictures and am wondering if this (but bigger) would work for me:

I'm imaging something wider - maybe 18" on breakfast area side, and 18" on FR side, ending with open shelving for cookbooks. Or 12" and 12". I could put open shelving next to the sliding glass door ABOVE the cabinet where it ended against the wall in the breakfast area (I have more room than what they have in the picture between the wall in the breakfast area and the edge of the sliding glass door).

I could see this being an area to charge phones, sort the mail, etc. I think this COULD be a very useful area.

Does anyone have any pictures of something similar to this? Any kind of cabinet separator (yet, not really a peninsula because it doesn't make an "L" run of cabinets) like this? Without being able to picture it, I'm tempted to do nothing and live with the wall removed and do something later.

Thanks for any inspiration photos anyone might have!!

Piglet

Comments (8)