SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
movinginva_gw

Please show me your small living/family room

movinginva
12 years ago

I am trying to finish up my living room and I would like to get some inspiration. My living room is tiny. There is a bar that connects the living room to the kitchen and on the living room side of the bar is the hallway that leads to the bedrooms. You also enter the house directly into the living room and as you can see from the pictures, I have created an entry area by using bookshelves. I know that I have a long way to go, but I am trying to find ideas so that I can pick up pieces as I find them. More than anything else, I would like ideas on additional seating.The horrible blinds in the bay window will be going as soon as I decide on curtains, blinds or shades. I also plan on painting the area a neutral beige/taupe color with accent colors on the wall with the TV and console table. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Here are a few pics.

!

!

!

Comments (42)

• sloyder
    12 years ago

IMHO the bookcase divider looks out of place. In place of the bookcase I might put a big console type table in it's place. Another option would be a half wall with a column on one end.

• movinginva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@sloyd, I have been debating with the book cases. I had them in the area where the console table is now, and the console table sat behind the couch. I did not love the look of that. Hmmm . . .

• Related Discussions

Show me your Very Customized, yet Small Homes, please.

Q

Comments (14)
    Gary - The kitchen will likely change dramatically to engulf the breakfast nook, so the dishwasher will have plenty of room then. I like the drawer dishwashers, we'll see if they play into the budget. I will likely have the whole house trussed. I'll use every nook I can in the attic as the main roof pitch from front to back is 11/12 and left and right are 12/12 along with garage pitch. Doors will face the left side and therefore the garage will be easier to make longer. I will widen the entire left side of the house an additional 2 feet as well for more garage space and thus more bonus room space and also more master bath and closet space where needed the most. Not in a high wind area, but I do like the hipped roof better than traditional gable end design done here so much. I do want to keep my gable dormers on the front and rear for personal appeal. I will mount our new flatscreen (I say new b/c we'll buy it to fit the space when we build) over the fireplace. We have a 51" Sony DLP right now on a small sleek stand but in a 15 x 15 living room I want as little "other" stuff on the floor as possible to allow for our loveseat, couch and coffee and end tables. I am trying to move the large Sony we have up to the "Man Space" and get me a Barcalounger all to myself in the main living room. Currently no room for that, so I sit on the couch that doesn't recline and I can't wait for my big leather chair!!! Thank you so very much for your comments. I really appreciate them and will definitely save them in my "Our House" folder in my email so that when I start I will remember to take your considerations into play. I particularly hadn't thought about the straight line for the plumbing running from front right to back left - that will likely be the least amount of pipe to run. Thanks for your help and if you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to email me or post here. info@athomewithchuck.com
    ...See More

Show your living/family room

Q

Comments (69)
    Wow, This thread was from 2005... Here is our living room after we re-upholstered the wing back chair (the chair I picked up at Goodwill) We made the curios about 3 or 4 years ago. close-up of the chair, we made the foot stool using the cut down legs from my Mothers coffee table from the 1950's I made the pillows and the Spanish dancer tapestry I won on ebay. the antique folder has been in our family forever...4 generations of children were rocked it it starting in 1908. I got the bunny tapestry from ebay The end table, is also an antique from my hubby's family. I love antique tables and this one is a chess table. The other chair we recently re-upholstered in chocolate valor. When I bought this chair it was covered in chocolate fabric and I always loved it but after 30 + years it needed redoing, so I covered in in gold valor. Since I really missed the chocolate color we re-did it again. This time we eliminated the skirt and made a hard tufted back. The antique table also from Hubby's family, and is my favorite antique in our house.
    ...See More

Show me your DARKER colored Family/Living Room

Q

Comments (6)
    Both my living and family rooms have darker, non-neutral colors. I love my cozy rusty-red living room, but have decided to repaint my green family room (eventually). I just bought the green leather sofa in there on CL a few weeks ago and was planning on redyeing the leather brown to work in the room. But now I like the soft, distressed color so much I think I'm going to paint the walls instead; I'll probably use SW Camelback, the same color as the adjoining dining room.
    ...See More

Please show me your kichen/family room dividers

Q

Comments (8)
    We had a knee wall divider similar to yours. Nice to divide the areas, but I always thought it was a waste of space. Our kitchen renovation (currently in the midst) will turn it into a two-sided bookcase, wider than the old knee wall. It will have a granite top, to match counters. The old knee wall was always a catchall place for keys, etc., and I'm sure the new divider will be, too. Granite top will take more abuse than wood. Ours is 66" long x 42" high x 24" deep. Kitchen side will house cookbooks, FR side will hold other books. Although we recently got rid of at least 8 cartons of books, we still have tons left (we are real bibliophiles, even tho' we both have Kindles now). This bookcase divider will be installed with other kitchen cabinetry Monday (two days away!) so I won't be able to post pix until after that. I think your idea is good, too, with a mix of open shelves & cabinets. I wish I had thought of a cell phone charge area. If you had an outlet running just below the top edge -- or wired through the middle & to the shelf, it could def work.
    ...See More
  • msrose
    12 years ago

I'm not sure about the bookcase either. I think it's making a small room look smaller. Sorry.

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

If you like the bookcase as is, maybe try some baskets that fill some of the openings--that might make it look less "busy" and also give you some more hidden storage.

Can you just use one bookcase and flip it over on its side so it's lower.

Maybe a very large piece of artwork over the console table?

Def replace the vertical blinds. Maybe a roman shade with fabric panels on either end.

If you need a new coffee table--perhaps a more narrow one. Or a rectangle ottoman that also doubles as storage.

• trancegemini_wa
    12 years ago

I agree with msrose, the bookcase is too large and it makes the room look very small. I'd do a small decorative screen there instead which will be enough to obscure the view when someone comes to the door but won't take up so much space or look so imposing

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

I agree about the bookcase. It's like you've put up another wall and made the room smaller. I'd take the bookcases out because you need more seating and they're taking up a lot of space. If you do remove them, I'd pull the sofa back and not have a table behind it. Someone suggested a narrower coffee table and I think that's a good idea. I think it could be a little longer too, maybe an antique bench or something. That should free up some room for a chair in front of the window. What do you have in that corner at the end of the bar? Is there room for a chair there? You could also try the loveseat under the window and move the TV to the bar wall. Then put 2 chairs on either side of a coffee table.

• loribee
    12 years ago

I would switch things back like you had them before- swap the console and bookcase. Why didn't you like that setup?
    Can you show us please? Wouldn't that open the space up and still give you storage?
    Could the couch go under the window and a small chair, like this... in it's place?

Here is a link that might be useful: Angelo chair

• barb5
    12 years ago

My two cents are: get rid of the bookcase. It is just taking up space you don't have. I would also consider taking the chair rail off the walls as it can make a small room look smaller. I would go for clean and uncluttered.

I would move the couch under the window and think about getting two chairs for where the couch is now. A small recliner would be nice for at least one of the chairs, for TV viewing.

I love the color of your couch and your raspberry/red accents for your throw. I personally would paint the room a warm cream with yellow undertones to go with the green of the couch. I see you have some colors up on the wall in the blue range and that could look really nice too.

I would look for a coffee table that had some storage function to it. If you don't need storage, then a glass or acrylic coffee table would take up less visible space and be more modern and clean.

I would carefully think about the function of the space where your console table is. Does that lead to the hallway to the bedrooms?

I think you could have a small desk area there. Or maybe some seating for eating? Or a small table that could do double task as desk when you needed it and more formal eating when you needed it for that, pulling it away from the wall.

In a small space, also think mirrors. Perhaps a mirror over that console area would visibly add space and also serve the function of letting you check your hair/hat ect as you exit the door.

And I think floor to ceiling drapery panels could warm up the room and look really nice.

I'm not a decorator so all this is only an uneducated opinion. Take it for what it's worth. But I love small spaces. You can do a lot with them without spending a fortune.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Yup, the bookcase is too big and out of place.
    I would move the desk out and place the bookcases
    where the desk is. When you paint the walls, paint the bookcase in semi-gloss
    in the same color or just one shade darker than the walls.

A low and narrow console table behind the sofa would be best, if you really
    think you need a room divider.
    You can work with what you have by embracing your small
    space and make it cozy and inviting.

If you move the bookcases to the wall where the desk is,
    take some more pic's of the room from different angles
    and maybe we can help you with more ideas.
    Joann

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Although I have a small livingroom, it is larger than yours. I gave up trying to break up the room with a direct entrance. Although I still dislike this option and never have, not sure why I let this go when buying. My closet is located as yours. Sometimes I think of making this the front door and entry way....too much money for this typ of remodeling.

A single area which draws the eye away from your furniture will work too. In actuality, you have a lot of options in the layout without the divider.

Do you need the counter? It looks like it is taking up a lot of space. The corner where the console is could be a small dining area. I bought a table with a fold out top. The leaves close over the table. When open it is huge, but closed gives me a great space for many options.

Depending upon your decorating style, a fun repurposed old door with and added shelf would work by the right side of entry. It wouldn't take up as much room, but still feel like and entry and give you a place to land a couple of items.

Just some thoughts from smaller living.

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

Ditto about the bookcase - it makes the room smaller and cluttered looking. I would put it againest the entrance wall as well. If it were me I would use the sofa as the room divider, just pushed back where the bookcase is, and if you want to use the console I would put it againest the sofa as you had it. My setup is similar and I don't worry about the entry way, I just put a good sized throw rug at the door to mark it as an entry. Thats probably not the answer you are looking for though. I also would choose a coffee table that is a narrow rectangle, instead of a square. I don't have a coffee table in mine, just a couple side tables, but that is because I have an ottoman. Extra seating is a problem for my room as well, I have a full size sofa and a chair and that is all that will fit comfortably. If I need extra seating I just bring in a dining room chair or two.

• jlj48
    12 years ago

As I take a second look at your pictures, I see lots of great details - your granite is fantastic, your moldings are something I sure wish I had, and I love the character of your front door. The book cases take away from that. Get rid of them and google creative entry/way/room dividers. Maybe BH&G website or DIY has some ideas. The first thought that comes to my mind builds off what another poster said about getting an old door with some character. I can see something hanging from the ceiling by chains. I also second the ideas of getting a different coffee table and window treatments. Also get some comfy barstools to pull up to the counter. Love your TV console!

• movinginva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is why I love coming to this site whether to snoop and steal ideas(which is what I do mostly) or to get input on how to make your space look amazing. Thanks for all the great responses.

I am at work right now, but I get home this evening, I will move the pieces around and post some pictures of it. I do have a formal dining room, so I originally had the pair pf bookcases in the small nook. I actually just had the bar installed in an effort to make the space more open. Prior to the bar, there was a full wall separating the spaces. The bar is actually not as big as it seems in the pictures. There is ample room to walk between the couch and the bar, and I have 3 backless stools on the living room side and still trying to find 3 backed ones that I like for the kitchen side.

I am definitely going to change out the coffee table. I like old furniture, so I have been looking for 2 table like this one. Let me know what you think about that idea. I also like the idea of the long storage ottoman. I need the storage because DH complains about the many blankets and throws I keep in the living room - I am always cold.

!

@joanie38 thanks! That was a buffet I found on CL for $20. I pulled the drawers out and created shelves instead for the Cable box etc. First I staind it and did not like how it looked, so I then had some black added to paint left over by the past homeowner, and this is what I came up with.

@emagineer and @katrina_ellen, do you happen to have any pics of your entry way and living room that you can post?

Below is a not-to-scale layout of the house so that you have an idea of where everything sits. Again, thanks so much for the great ideas.

!

• jenny_indiana
    12 years ago

I like the space! Lots of positives. I think painting the window trim would help make the space more cohesive, too. Love the great ideas here!

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

Sorry, I am the last person on earth without a digital camera. If I had one you may not want my advice as my own living room is the process - I moved in 1 year ago and still in the process of refurnishing because what I had was too big for the space. On the side tables you like - on one hand they would be great for storage, but I have been using tables that are more open to give a more spacious look. I bought one table with two drawers but the rest is open and leggy, that is where I keep remotes and magazines. My other side table is a pedestal type that fits the small space well. I don't know that I would want a coffee table blocking my open area. They look nice but I feel it would get in the way. I have other storage areas in the house (784sq/ft.) so I don't need the tables to have a lot of storage. I find the more open and airy I get it the more I like it. I have a low clutter tolerance and sometimes to me a small space can look so untidy if theres too much in it. I am hoping I can pick up some more tips from reading others suggestions here. I try to have a limited color palette as well so the rooms flow instead of looking cut up. I like your black shelves but I liked the suggestion to paint them closer to the tone of the walls - they are a lot of contrast in a small space. I envy your dining room - I have an eat-in kitchen that is tiny as well. Its been a real challenge but fun too.

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

I am with the others to either move or remove your dividing wall bookcase.

I see your living room isn't that deep--you have a 2 seater couch pushed almost to the window wall to leave you walking space to the hallway.

What about moving tv to the wall opposite of the window wall and putting your couch on the window wall? You could do a full size couch on that wall and chairs on both side of the the couch if you wanted...I don't know how much extra seating you are looking for.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Exactly what cliff_and_joann: dividing the room with the large bookcase is drawing the eye to the division and chopping up the space and making it even smaller.

I also like always1stepbehind's idea of moving the couch. You don't have to make the door area feel completely separate. And if you want, you could even put a single chair or two there to make it more of a conversation space.

If you are bothered by opening the door and coming right into the living room, you could consider changing the swing of the door. That way when you open the door, you don't immediately see the entire room. My "entry" is simply a small square of different flooring where the door opens up to block the view of the living room. I like that it seems to give the entry a sense of separation from the room. But when the door is closed, it keeps both spaces feeling large and open.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Excellent ideas and suggestions above:

Yes -- move the divider. Try it in the dining space (as pictured on your home plan above)

Yes -- another HUGE vote to paint the window moldings white to match the rest of the space. The viewer's eye is "caught" -- and that has become your focal point!

Yes -- if at all possible -- remove the chair railings! Those railing do cut the room visually.

Place the sofa on the window wall.

Find two small armless chairs or one medium-sized chair to fit in the space where the sofa NOW sits. Measure every inch of the new arrivals to make sure that they can fit AND don't up much visual space (don't get a chair with rolled arms -- just an example) Look for very clean lined chairs.

JUST a thought -- could the TV fit along the wall of the 3rd bedroom/office? Then the furniture could fit in the living space .... again .... JUST a quick thought!

• movinginva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is what it looks like with the bookcases and console table switched.

I moved mirror that I keep in in the garage between the bookcases to see if something like that will work.

I put a small bench in front of the window and a chair on the opposite side to see how adding those pieces would look like.

I also used a small folding table to act as a coffee table. I think I will take @barb5's advice on and do a glass/acrylic coffee table.

Of course the pieces I added are just bits from around the house, I added them just to get a sense of how it will all look. Too many pieces . . . ?

Thanks!

!

!

!

• jlc712
    12 years ago

If it was my living room, here's what I would do: (which repeats a lot of good ideas from posters above)

1. Paint window trim white. Remove chair rail and paint the walls your new color. I think a pale butter yellow would look nice.

2. Paint the book cases white and leave them on the "nook" wall. I wouldn't put a mirror or anything else with them.

3. Move the TV to the wall next to the bar, opposite the window.

4. Put the couch in front of the window.

5. Get one or two small comfy chairs. If one chair, put it where the couch is now. If two chairs, put the 2nd chair on the opposite wall facing the first chair. Put an end table on each end of the couch. Don't get a coffee table... maybe a small bench or ottoman in front of the couch.

6. Put a big mirror on the wall where the TV is now.

7. Get a tall plant/tree to put in between the front door and the sofa.

I think your room would look so much bigger and would be much more comfortable for more people.

Have fun!

• loolee
    12 years ago

Like it without the bookcase divider. I would put the loveseat in front of the window and the TV opposite on the wall opposite. JMHO. You have some nice elements. Can you paint the trim around your window? That would help. When you do new window treatments, I would do outside mount roman shades in a woven wood with long, full side panels that were hung higher than the window. If possible, taking the chair rail down will enlarge the room. We did that in a bedroom and I am so happy with not having that chair rail. Good luck. You can do it.

• peegee
    12 years ago

Wow - with the console table there instead of the bookcases, your room really opens up!! It's a pretty room! You say it is small, but having that area on the other side of the door makes it appear quite a bit larger. I have a small LR, probably smaller than yours- it's hard for me to tell-but I have only a stairway going up to visually extend the space. You have actual space. I haven't any pictures as I'm in the process of redoing my house. BTW If you don't want to take off the chair rail, perhaps you could paint it the wall color..just a thought.--Penny.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I love the color of your sofa - so refreshing and comfy-looking.

I'm normally not a fan of wall-mounted televisions, but in this case, I would mount it on the wall opposite the window, put the sofa under the window, a chair on both sides and maybe a pair of upholstered or leather ottomans to serve as extra seating. With a room that narrow, you really need to steal some space from either the area next to the coat closet or the bar wall.

I'd add a fresh modern colorful area rug, and paint the room a color pulled from the rug. Rather than tables, I'd use a trayed floor lamp, like below, only in whatever style you like better.

Dee

• emagineer
    12 years ago

I don't have pics, apologies. My couch is at an angle on the window side (window is as large as yours with plantation shutters). There are two chairs where your TV set up is. The TV is located on the wall where the door opens. We can't put the TV anywhere else due to reflections of window.

Walking in the door there is a unique rustic table with lamp and books. I think it keeps the eye from scanning the whole room. I do have a large fireplace across from the window and it gives the room a lot of character.

Niver thought of changing the door swing, might be something to look into. This way the person at the door cannot see as much. With my swing, you can look to the right into my kitchen. This really doesn't bother me though as the area feels much larger.

Even small has a lot of options. Aren't people great here in sharing their ideas?

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

The bookcases look good on the far wall. I would put them together - nothing inbetween them. I don't know that I would keep the buffet in the room, it doesn't serve much purpose and takes up space. With trays and baskets your bookcase could hold some entry things like keys and mail. You do have an entry there because the area is recessed as you come in the door. I love the tall plant idea - I may use that one. I like the lamps with the tables attached as well - very space saving and functional while still being attractive. I have a small end table on one side of my sofa and a floor lamp on the other end. The sofa againest the window would give a look of a longer room. I think with all the good suggestions you are going to have a very cute living room. It is narrow like mine so every inch counts. I tried floor length sheers on my windows and it just overpowered the room, too much fabric, so I think the roman shades would look good. I have miniblinds right now in my room that are inside mounted and I just ordered some sheers that will be apron length on the windows. I haven't gotten them yet so I don't know if that is going to work out. I would think if you really want a coffee table a lucite one as suggested or glass would not close off the space and would look good.

• natesgram
    12 years ago

I definately think moving the bookcases opens up the room. I'd like to throw out another idea, what would you think about putting the bookcases on their side, one on the current entry wall with a mirror or artwork and one behind the sofa? I would paint a lighter color. They would both give you surfaces to put things on, maybe a tall vase or lamp behind the sofa. I agree that the nice chair rail chops up the room so paint it the room color instead of removing, you may decide to change it all another time. We moved from a large home to a small apartment (800 s.f.) and have a small LR too. I've had to rearrange several times (some with advice from the group) but purchased a too large coffee table (for grandkid storage) and wish I had been able to get something glass or a more open feeling. Just another thought that might make your room feel larger is to install the tv on a wall bracket. We bought a plastic channel that is painted the wall color and hides the wires. Mine is a lot higher than I would suggest for your room (might be to high/low for mine too)

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

I like the bookcases on the new wall...try putting them
    together and take away the mirror.
    Can you move the tv unit on the wall across from the window, and the love seat under the window? I know it's not easy because of the cables etc...but, it would really
    open up a lot of space for a couple of small chairs.
    Is that room 11 or 12 foot wide?

Also, don't woory about the glare from the windows for daytime tv watching...the new flat screen tv's don't
    reflect glare like the old tv's do...you just need to
    put up a shade on the window. Our tv is across from a big window and we don't have a daytime viewing problem.
    Joann

nice compfy and pretty room, natesgram

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Thinking outside the box for a moment... depending on your lifestyle and how you use the various rooms in your home, etc. what I suggest is using the current living room as a dining room, turning bedroom #3/office into a TV/family room, and using your current dining room as an office. Your dining room will be more convenient to the kitchen and the entry won't seem so cramped even with a divider.

Not sure if your plan is to scale so this is just another idea that may or may not work for you.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

The room looks so much larger with those bookcases moved. It's nice seeing the room from those other angles too. I think you should try the sofa under the window too to open up the center of the room more.

Last night when I was on this other website, I came across a room that reminded me of yours the way you have your loveseat set up and all. You can see what a glass top table would look like in your space. I also like the way the owner made use of color to delineate the different areas/uses of his space. I think painting that wall to the right as you come in a different color from the rest of the room might be an option. If it were an interesting color, it might hold the eye like an entryway before you go into the main living area.

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/24265

I agree to remove or paint out the chair rail and paint the trim around the windows. I love your loveseat and the red throw. They look great together. Don't be afraid to use color in the rest of the room as you start adding things.

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

Hmm. I like luckygal's idea. You say the plan is not to scale so maybe it wouldn't work. If you can fit your dining table plus a small scale chair or two in your current living room then you would have a sitting area for people who don't want to watch TV while those who do are in the new living room.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Remember our Gallery?

Here is a thread for living rooms/family rooms with several hundred pictures of gorgeous rooms. This should give you tons of inspiration!

Here is a link that might be useful: Living rooms/family rooms gallery post

• loribee
    12 years ago

Movinginva- forgive me if this has been suggested and rejected... could you consider moving the tv to the wall opposite the window?
    Then you could put the sofa under the window and add 2 small chairs on either side.
    Were you able to open the link I posted earlier with a small-scale chair suggestion?

Oceanna- thanks for reminding us about the amazing LR gallery. I just viewed it again for great inspiration. Thanks!

• movinginva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the idea of the TV being on the wall opposite the window and the couch up against the window, but I wonder if it will be a problem since that is sort of a hallway area. I guess the other problem I would run into is where to put the cable box etc. I will do a little mock up of it today or do a computer drawing to see how it will all look.

Painting the trim around the window can be done, I will have to fight with DH, since he loves it and says that it mirrors the window trim in the kitchen.

@loribee and @oceanna I have taken a look at the gallery. Lots of great ideas with colors etc. I just keep thinking 'if only I had an extra 2 feet of living room space . . . ' Of course that would be too easy :-)
    @loribee, I was able to open the link that you sent me and something along those lines is what I was thinking for the chair. I prefer the ones with arms, though so I was thinking something small like that one, with open arms like the one in @chickadee2's link. I also like these chairs quite a lot.

I have also toyed with @luckygal's idea of moving the living room to the office. The office is 9'x11'.

I agree with the idea of at the very least painting the trim. I have seen some pics of it done, and it looks great. I was scared about doing it, but now I think I will. I also like the idea of a creamy color that was suggested for the walls and trim. If I work up the courage, I will remove the trim all together.

Thanks again for all the wonderful thoughtful suggestions.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Gee, I just looked at your floor plan, consider this --
    knocking down the wall between the living room and
    3 rd bedroom. That would really open things up and provide
    a nice view of the backyard with French doors or a sliding door.
    It could also serve as a dining room, living room
    combo. The existing DR can become the 3rd bedroom/ office.
    It's really an economical way to gain extra 'living space'
    Joann

• trancegemini_wa
    12 years ago

"I like the idea of the TV being on the wall opposite the window and the couch up against the window, but I wonder if it will be a problem since that is sort of a hallway area."

I think you would end up with at least as much walking space through there if you put the tv opposite the window. The space between the bar stools and the couch is quite tight already so moving things around should open it up and it looks like the best way to get more seating in there.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Can't wait to see your mock up...
    The chairs that chickadee2 suggested would be darling, esp. if adding a neutral 5x7 area rug as well.
    This is my small LR and I added a neutral, sisal rug for interest. (The tv is tucked in the bottom left corner as that's where the cable connection is).

• amykath
    12 years ago

Loribee.....I absolutely loveyour house!!!!

• loribee
    12 years ago

Awww...thanks, Amy.
    I was trying to show the neutral rug & that with the size of the room, you unfortunately have to walk right thru it and it's okay~~

• les917
    12 years ago

I would move the couch in front of the window. Then you could add a chair on either end of the couch, end tables between the chairs and the couch at each corner, with lamps.

Move the tv to wall mount opposite, and instead of the bulky console you have the components on now, use the console table that is behind the couch in one of the last pix to hold the components. It is taller, so it will work with the wall mounted tv, and doesn't seem so heavy.

I would try to avoid a coffeetable if you can, so the center of the room is open to foot traffic, and having the console on that wall opposite the window doesn't feel like it is blocking traffic flow. An area rug would be nice, tho.

I would see if the two bookcases could turn on their sides (I think they were sold to go either way), so that you don't have that odd space between them. You can leave them dark if you prefer, but I could also see them painted white to give the feel of a built in on that wall. You should be able to hang some art or a mirror above them once they are sideways, as I don't think they will be too tall. Have to see in real life, tho. Perhaps a nice lamp on top of them, or a wall-mounted lamp could work, too. Adding light to the room will make the whole space feel bigger.

I think you need to paint the trim around the bow window to match the other trim in the room. It looks odd, especially since you have so much white trim. I would prefer to see the chair rail gone.

• movinginva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I posted this about three months ago asking for help with my tiny living room. I did receive some great feedback and I am very appreciative of it. I had to stop for a while because of some uncertainty with my job. I certainly wasn't trying to be the person who asked for help and then ignored all the great input that you guys give so generously. It looks like things are back on track so I am back to trying to figure out how to make this small space work.

I did move the couch around and liked how it looked, but then I discovered that it would be a pain to move the cable over to that part of the room, so the TV will have to remain where it is. I have decided that I will put the TV on the wall and use a small shelving unit in the corner to put the cable box etc, and remove the current TV stand that is there currently. I have removed the vertical blinds, and painted the window white. I found 2 smaller sized chairs on CL, one has open arms and the other is a slipper chair. I have them sitting in there right now, and I think once the TV is on the wall and the TV stand is gone, the space will feel better. I have also been struggling with paint colors for the space. I posted on here for suggestions and got some feedback, but I still haven't come up with a solution for the space.

Again, thanks a lot for the input, let me know what you think of what I have come up with, and any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• gobruno
    12 years ago

In line with what luckygal was saying, I'd take out the wall of your office and make that into an open dining room. It'll expand an unify your main living space. Then, I'd use the current dining room as your office.

• movinginva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@gobruno DH and I have given that some serious thought lately and will probably eventually do that when the budget allows. The current dining room area actually has a space big enough to have a small bathroom and we have considered making it a the guest room in the long term. Moving the living room to where the office is right now will also allow us to put a nice door with access to the backyard which is the one thing I wish the house had. In the short-term, I would like to make it look nice and livable, so unfortunately I have to work with the space I currently have. If I could, I would completely reconfigure the living, dining, kitchen, office area. The space is there, but the configuration is very 60's which is when the hous was built.