SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melanie1422

Lighting Help - Old Light is Ruined, Hadn't Planned on Replacing

melanie1422
14 years ago

Due to a roof issue, which resulted in an entirely new roof and a mostly new ceiling, my kitchen lights had to be unscrewed from the ceiling. However, then the friend who did the work for me got "busy" and never came back to put the lights back up on the ceiling - and left them hanging by a wire for two months. Apparently the wiring was damaged by the water, and had to be replaced, and he was too busy to do it...though I don't know why the light couldn't be either taken all the way down or screwed back up until he got around to it. Of course, after two months of hanging by the wiring, the darn thing came crashing down, and is now ruined. I have two lighting fixtures in the kitchen, and while I had planned on keeping them, I now have to replace them both - because they matched.

So now I need new lighting, which is not at all in the budget (I'm trying to get cabinets back in the budget after the roof took all my savings - there is absolutely not one extra cent). I had planned on keeping the old lights for a while until I could afford to do anything different, and so I hadn't even considered new lighting.

Here is my floorplan:

I originally had two fixtures with florescent bulbs - not the best, but fine for now. The first one, the bigger of the two and the shattered one, ran parallel to the sink, and was about four feet long. The second fixture was about two feet long and perpendicular to the first. Now I'll just have two holes.

I'm planning white painted maple cabinets in an inset shaker style (gosh, and apparently so is everyone). Some sort of laminate because I can't afford soapstone. Polished nickel latches and pulls, stainless appliances, haven't bought the faucet yet. The walls are a cream color, and the floors are original 4" t&g pine that I'd like to waterlox. I'd like to put a farm style table in there, but I haven't yet figured out what size or where I'll put it.

Help! I have no idea what kind of lighting, what style, anything. I'm kind of going for a period vibe - its an old house, and I'd like the kitchen to look like it belongs in the house. I have big windows, but no other lighting in this room - no undercabinet, no accent lighting, etc. I have ceiling fans in most of the other rooms. I'm not thrilled with florescent, but I'd love to be able to find something that doesn't kill me price-wise. Most of my inspiration photos have either cans (not do-able), or pendants over islands (no island). I could do two pendants - but I envision myself or my company banging heads on them. I could do two shorter fixtures, but would two lights be enough light? Two chandelier type fixtures? More florescents? Track lighting (that just sounds so eighties!)? I know nothing about lighting!

If anyone can help me, its the people here. I'm lost! Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)