SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
motherof3_gw

Refinish Floors Before or After Cab Install?

motherof3
13 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and FR/sunroom. We currently have hardwood floors and need to install new hardwood in half of the FR. My GC plans to install the new kitchen cabinets and resand/refinish all hardwood floors at the end. Should it be done at the end or before cabs are installed?

When we first moved into our house, we had the floors refinished with our old cabinets. The bottom of the old cabinets were stained with the wood stain. It also looked like there was a little stain puddling in the corners where the cabs and floor meet.

I mentioned to my GC that I am concerned with the wood stain damaging the bottom of my new and expensive cabinets. He told me that he always does the floors last. If the floors first, they would be damaged during cabinet and granite installation. He said that they do not install the bottoms of the cabinets until the floors are completed. When he says bottom of cabinets, I think he means the crown molding around island bottom and the valances/decorative toe kicks on my pantries and sink base. I think that would be fine, but what about the cabinet bases that do not have molding or toe kicks? Is that why some people put half rounds on the bottom of their cabinets? Will I need that?

Thanks,

motherof3...who is a bit stressed with this renovation!

Comments (9)