SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleentx

Please help-tiling to the ceiling; before or after install hood/cabs

Please advise! My husband will be tiling subway tile from our new cabinets/countertops to the ceiling in our remodeled kitchen. Looking for advice on the following questions.

1. Wall #1 issue:

The cabinet maker/installer says our wall behind the stove w/new lower cabinets and countertops must be tiled before they can install the new wood hood but my husband is concerned about tiling ahead of time due to the shimming of the bottom cabinets when they install them and the tile not being straight. (we are not installing any upper cabinets, just this custom hood).

1. Wall #2 issue:

I would prefer if he tilled before the cabinets were installed as I know there will be a big mess during this process and we don't have a ton of room for him to move ladders around our brand new lower cabinets and new marble countertops. I just don't see how he will be able to tile to the ceiling with all that in the way and not damage it or not be able to really reach the areas he is tiling since it is up to the ceiling all the way across the back of these new lower cabinets and countertops.

He is very experienced in tiling. I would love any and all feedback regarding tiling before and after countertop to the ceiling and what to do about the hood dilemma.

Do we just wait until everything is installed and he just has to figure it out in our tiny new kitchen and straddling ladders somehow to reach these places to tile or is there a way to tile ahead of time without messing up how much they will shim the cabinets?

And what to do about the hood wall?

Thank you!

Kathleen

Comments (5)