SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ayerg73_gw

Is soapstone a good choice for allergy sufferers?

ayerg73
13 years ago

My DH has a lot of issues with allergies - mostly having to do with chemicals. I am leery of man-made resins and anything that needs to be sealed or that is too porous to keep clean easily. (I can't use commercial cleaners because of allergies - mostly soap and water and steam to sanitize)

That being said, after hours and hour of research, I settled on soapstone. It seemed a perfect fit - non-porous, no need to seal - just oil.

I looked up a stone distributor and went to see some in person this week. The guy asked me why I wanted soapstone in particular. When I told him that I wanted something non-porous, he told me that soapstone was the most porous thing I could choose. He thought I was nuts...

I dismissed the guy and made a mental note to use a different supplier when I buy. BUT, I just talked to my GC and he tried to convince me that I wouldn't like the SS either. He said nobody in our area uses it because there is too much sealing involved. Really? I thought you just had to oil it...?

I'm I crazy? Are there other options that would be a better fit for us?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022