SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tigger

Backsplash sample - what do you think??

tigger
14 years ago

OK, need opinions on this backsplash sample. Kat, it's not like the first sample (that I was originally told was discontinued) - it's BETTER!!!!! I'll be forever in debt to you for finding this for me :)

Anyway, without further ado, here are some pics. I had to use the flash, so there's some reflection off the tile, but can get a general idea. Question for everyone:

I love glass tile (especially this one), but do you think it's going to be one of those fads that will look dated very quickly? My other thought was marble since I almost always like it in kitchens and it looks so classic and timeless. While we're not doing this kitchen with specific thoughts of resale, I also don't want to be thinking I need to tear out a backsplash if we do want to sell sooner than expected. Oh, why do all these decisions have to be so difficult?? :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Photo of kitchen to give you an idea of color palette:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (33)

• amg_roadster
    14 years ago

How high up do you plan on going and what do you plan on doing behind the range?

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I know I love your kitchen and I know I love glass AND I really like that glass. I just don't know that I love THAT glass in your kitchen. I think I feel it reads a little too cool. I have an example of something similar but just a bit warmer to tie into your AMAZING island stone. Plus, to me, your perimeter stone has some deep browns in it. My monitor could be srewy too.
    {{!gwi}}

This is my new favorite tile site to play around on.

• Related Discussions

What do you think of slate subway backsplash in my kitchen?

Q

Comments (72)
    Thanks for the clarification, Steff. I agree the green granite goes better with the autumn colors above. I think I just wanted to make the green granite go with it, because I like it, and because it took several beatings pretty well. But, I like the most recent backsplash better that the green granite, so I just have to find a more suitable counter. Regarding the honed absolute, it seems many others on this website say the same thing. Wonder about any other honed granites that might go well with the backsplash and not have such maintanence issues. Before I settle on the caesarstone, I do want to explore (exhaust?) the options. I saw today (here I go again), in a high end house basement laundry room, a gray concrete counter and sink that I believe would go well. However, I've read about cracking and scratching. Almost done with this particular decision... Thanks everybody.
    ...See More

What do you think of this glass backsplash?

Q

Comments (39)
    Ok, I came back and saw I cross posted with the mock-up and I agree - if it turns out that dramatic - you really gotta love it! I love the second mock-up with the vertical glass mosaic, but that doesn't sound like what you are going for even though it is beautiful. You have been given great ideas - and you are right. THere is no hurry, the kitchen looks great now and take your time to find what you will like looking at for years and years. I was going mad trying to pick a backsplash and then I finally - hello?! - figured out I really don't have to choose until everything is in and I can really "see" it. Turns out I stumbled across the perfect backsplash after I gave up looking! But I just got lucky. THat space really is a wonderful opportunity to do something very personal and uniquely yours. Have fun!
    ...See More

Backsplash v.1,000,000: what do you think of this one?

Q

Comments (46)
    I love the tile! I took home a couple of samples, but none of the colors worked with my countertop. I didn't pick up a 70s vibe, despite my sensitivity to that era (although my memories of people and events are quite happy). I think it might overshadow, literally, your marble, but that's your call. Anything that coordinates with cats is A-OK in my book. But hey, you got your kitties at the Sonoma County Animal Shelter? I got mine last summer at the Sonoma Humane Society. We might be neighbors! I'm in Santa Rosa.
    ...See More

Backsplash...what do you think???

Q

Comments (38)
    To be honest, I never even considered glass tile. Didn't think I liked it because it is very shiny. That is why I was looking at the travertine, because it was classic and matte. I think with all of the suggestions that I have been getting that I better check them out. I like that you all have been so honest. Opening my eyes to different avenues. Hollysprings, you are right about the peachy undertone...it is not as peachy as the pictures show, they are more cream, just some have it. I looked at so many, and a lot had a grey undertone. It did not look good next to the granite. The color of the travertine matches the crams in the granite. That is why I thought it would be better. Mom2sethc...I love your tiles. What kind of matte tile are they?
    ...See More
  • tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amg_roadster - I'm going to ignore that! Just so everyone knows, that's my husband trying to be funny :)

remodelfla - I like that tile also! I hadn't really considered anything with browns, but you're right, it does play up the colors in the granite on the island. It may be partially due to viewing on the computer, but yes, it does appear that the perimeter granite has brown in it (looks like that on mine also). It definitely looks completely black in person though, with some tiny flecks of sparkly brown if you look very closely. What is the name of the tile site? I'd love to check it out! Thanks!

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

I LOVE your glass tile! I love cool colours - they relax me, whilst warm ones put me on edge. I also think a cool grey/white glass blends blend wonderfully with black and white - makes it look edgier, takes it away from "cottage" - and i think it looks fantastically well in your kitchen. Very sophisticated and "above it all" I dare say. LOVE it! And it marries amazingly with the amazing grey wall colour you've got there! Truly lovely.

Also, it has to be said - I LOVE those long glass tiles. Gorgeous. Go for it, I say!

• positano
    14 years ago

Hi Traci,
    I just love your kitchen, it is so gorgeous. The Granite and the marble work beautifully.

I do like glass tile, but I'm not seeing it in your kitchen. With the coiffured ceilings I see something a little more classic.I do like the idea of marble. Maybe a more modern shape. I guess it depends what feeling your going for. When I see your kitchen it reminds me of Alliern
    and Lanugget's kitchen. Timeless and Classic. The glass will make such a statement that it could take away from all the other elements.

I could be totally wrong, but that's just my first opinion. I love, love, love all your choices so far.

• pam2007
    14 years ago

Traci,

What is your granite on the island? It is lovely. As far as your backsplash goes, the glass tile is cool but I agree with positano. Timeless and classic.....

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

The site is Northeastern Tile. They are out of Brooklyn, NY. It looks as if they will send free samples. Here's one I found that when I first glanced I thought it was marble but it's glass. (that could be because I haven't had enough caffeine yet this morning!) I understand what pam and postiano is saying; but there's no reason you can't make what you love work. They have gorgeous samples too (all sorts of sizes). Just use their search engine. I don't know a thing about this company but they have EVERYTHING!

Here is a link that might be useful: Northeastern Tile

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Forgot the pic!
    {{!gwi}}

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mindstorm - thanks so much! I love these tiles also, especially because they are long, but every time I try to picture them in the kitchen I wonder if they will be overwhelming. We're doing it in such a large area that it may be a bit much to look at visually! In the photo above, we're planning to tile the entire area behind the range, and every wall up to the bottom of the upper cabinets.

Positano - thanks! I'm very flattered that you think of Alliern's and Lanugget's kitchens when you see mine - if it only turns out HALF as nice I'll be happy! It's funny, but you managed to say exactly what I was thinking! As I said to Mindstorm above, I'm so afraid the glass tile will be overwhelming, especially since it will cover a large area. Maybe I should have planned better in the beginning and thought about that - if I really wanted glass tile I should have planned a smaller kitchen! It would have been fine in my old kitchen since it's about the size of a walk-in closet -haha!

Pam2007 - the granite on the island is called Persian Pearl and it's an antique finish. I LOVE the antique finish - it's has so much texture. I originally was going to put it in the entire kitchen but just like with the glass tile, thought it might be too much so decided to balance it out with a more solid color.

Remodelfla - I thought I'd seen that first tile somewhere! I actually ordered a few samples from that tile company and you won't believe this, but I ordered the one that looks like marble!!! I just got it this week and immediately eliminated it since it looks nothing like the photo above. For one, it feels and looks more like plastic than glass tile and is VERY thin. And while I love the coloring in the photo above, in person, all the dark areas appear blue! So, the tones overall are very blue rather than gray and black - I was so disappointed :)

Anyway, thanks for weighing in everyone - I have a lot more thinking to do! :) I'm very torn between the glass tile and marble with my biggest fear being that while I love the glass tile on it's own, it will just scream at me once on the walls! I did find another marble to consider, so here's a different pic:
    {{!gwi}}

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

How about some of both! I love marble subway tiles. So marble field tiles with some kind of marble with glass insets (or glass with marble insets) behind the range? There's always a way to get a little of everything you love. The plan is... there are no hard and fast rules.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Here's just one example of a mosaic that combine marble, clear glass, black glass, and metal accents.
    {{!gwi}}
    or polished cream and white marble with tan glass:
    {{!gwi}}
    Lasst one... you get my idea. From www.glasstilestore.com
    The Fusion line;
    {{!gwi}}

• positano
    14 years ago

I really like those marble subways! Definitely fits more with the style of your kitchen.

Maybe you could ask for some photoshop help. I would love to see how it looks up.

• positano
    14 years ago

I forgot to say your kitchen also reminds me of Erikanh's. Same color scheme and she has an amazing marble slab backsplash!!

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Remodelfla - thanks so much for all your suggestions with photos!! I really like the idea of combining stone with glass and I've tried my best to find a combination mosaic tile that I like with no success yet! Maybe I'm just too picky :) I tend to like grays and whites with stainless if there's a metal with them, along with lighter creams - you wouldn't think that would be so difficult!! I also prefer rectangular (whether subway, long tiles, or mini-brick) more so than the small 1 x 1 or 2 x 2 tiles. I am definitely going to keep looking!

Positano - I wish I could photoshop it! I hate to ask others because I know it takes time, but that's one of my major problems since I can't picture what any tile would actually look like on the wall! I suppose I could never truly be a designer since most of them seem to be able to visualize exactly what things would look like together in a space, regardless of how it seems on paper :)
    I was just drooling over Erikanh's kitchen (especially that marble) this week, so thanks so much for that compliment!!! I don't know if Erika would consider it a compliment to compare the two though - haha! How I wish I could get my hands on that marble for a backsplash - I haven't seen anything other than the usual Carrera, Venatino, or Calacatta in my area.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

erika's kitchen is to die for! I found this. I don't think it's quite what you're looking for but I had a minute between dishes I'm cooking for tomorrow!

Here is a link that might be useful: marble and stainless

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I like some of the marble and glass combos, but I'm worried about a mostly marble backsplash competing with and clashing with the stone on the island. I wouldn't want to rob from that.

• katienic
    14 years ago

Traci, here are two I was considering (when I was planning to do a backsplash!)
    Milee Brick: Everest

and this is a mix of glass,marble & tumbled stone from
    Eurotile.
    It is called white, so I don't know if the greenish tinge is as pronounced in real life.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: EuroTile - lots of wall tile - interesting stuff

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

Um traci, glass doesn't scream "look at me" it is the many-toned mosaics and blends that do that - and that is the case with either glass or marble or stone or metal!

Glass will be a subtle look if you pick subways or tiles in the tones you were considering earlier OR in the marble coloration you found. I'll be very sorry if you pick any of the suggestions offered in your very beautiful room above except perhaps for katienic's Everest - another really calm one. Seriously, if you want a somber and not-overwhelming choice, pick a non-mosaic-y or non-blend option. Especially in glass. Stone will IMO be too earthy and substantial in that lovely airy room you've got going. (I don't know what a coffered ceiling is, but I don't see any ceiling; just what you've got here which is a nice, airy, uplifting room so far.)

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again Remodelfla! I like the separate elements in that tile with the stainless, however not sure I like all the colors together - of course that's my issue with almost all I've looked at :)

Rhome410 - that's an interesting thought about marble clashing with the granite on the island! I was more worried about some of the glass taking the focus away from the island, but I can picture how I might have to carefully consder the marble. I was also looking at the Calacatta Gold marble which seems as if it may blend better with the island colors.

Katienic - thanks! I'll definitely check that place out - those tiles look very interesting!

Mindstorm - true, I should have been clearer - it isn't necessarily the tile itself that screams, but the colors. Do you think the long glass in the first photo does look subtle?? I'm worried that while the tones are close, it would still be a bit overpowering. Hmmmm...the pressure is getting to me! :) I actually would be very happy with a monochromatic glass tile, however am trying to balance my husband's desire for more color - if it were up to him we'd live in a clown house with a multitude of clashing colors everywhere! I'm slowly wearing him down though, day by day! Anyway, here's a photo showing the coffered ceiling - ignore the mess since it was taken right after the granite was installed!
    {{!gwi}}

• positano
    14 years ago

Do you know what your doing for a hood yet? That may make a difference in the backsplash you chose.

When I brought up Erikanh's kitchen I was just thinking the coloring was close, not that you should use a slab marble backsplash. I Agree that may not go with the granite on your island. I still like the idea of marble tiles or a monochromatic glass.

Love the ceiling!! You could always leave the backsplash as is for a while than do it down the road. Sometimes living with it and adding your accessories gives you a direction to go in. When Alliern posted her finished kitchen she did not have a backsplash up.

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Positano - yes, we have the hood, although who knows how long it will be until it's installed. Here's a photo of it though - it's on the contemporary side:

{{!gwi}}

As for Erikanh's marble, if I could find a slab like that, I'd figure out how to make it work - haha! That has to be one of the most gorgeous pieces of marble I've ever seen!

• katieob
    14 years ago

Hi.

Alliern's kitchen was what inspired me to go with a contrasting island (stained in SW Walnut Wainscot) so it makes sense that I love your kitchen too! Although I get pangs of regret when I see that coffered ceiling.

Did you mention what wood & stain your island is? I might have missed it.

My humble opinion would be to work marble in. Your kitchen is turning out so classic & timeless & I think marble is just that. I really like the glass-was just looking at them at the tile store. I stuck with white subways with a crackle glaze for the same "timeless" reasons.

Keep the pics coming please!
    Katie

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Katieob! I love dark stained cabinets and originally was planning that in the entire kitchen, but then had a panic attack (one of many - haha) and thought that it would be way too much if I went with a dark hardwood floor (which I REALLY want). Then I thought I'd do a combination of white and stained on uppers and lowers, had ANOTHER panic attack thinking it would just look weird, so finally settled on primarily white cabinets and a stained island! Makes me tired just reading all that! I'm sure the cabinet maker thinks I'm utterly insane by now and is glad to have the cabinets painted so I can't change my mind again :)

Anyway, to answer your question, the wood on the island is cherry, but the stain is a custom mix, so I'm not really sure what it is! The cabinet maker just gave us some samples and of course the one I liked happened to be something he had mixed together and I didn't even ask what it was!

I really like the look of the subways with a crackle glaze - where did you get yours? That is so true - you don't have to worry about that being too trendy and looking dated quickly! They will always look great!

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I found a few more possibilities.

I like this since it's marble and glass, and fairly monochromatic in color but I think it's possibly too white. For example, the island granite has a cream base, so while the cabinets are white, I don't think this works as well with the island:
    {{!gwi}}

Calacatta gold which I really like and is usually a bit creamier, but this first photo really doesn't do it justice - I hope that the tiles have more color variation in person, rather than appearing almost completely white!
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• katieob
    14 years ago

Hi.

I love the calacatta marble. We're doing that for our island countertop & I just love the creamy white/grey/caramel.

I think either of the last two you showed would look fantastic in your kitchen.

The subways we are using are by Horus Art, Tiffany series in the bianco with a crackle glaze. ("borrowed" from garden webber Willowdecor!).

Also-I'm happy to hear that your island is cherry. I originally wanted alder because of the way it took stain, but my cabinetmaker said it's too soft with young kids. I love the stain on your cherry, so I'm relieved.

• ella_socal
    14 years ago

I thought I'd add this picture because it has what look to be soapstone counters, white cabs and a glass or very glossy backsplash. I think it looks really nice and reminded me of this thread.

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ella_socal - thanks for the photo! It does look really nice and helps me better visualize what glass tile could look like.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

traci, here are my suggestions/observations

1. The tile sample you showed us first is the nicest of all others posted here.

2. I would tile to all the way to the ceiling where possible.

3.You have a GORGEOUS kitchen

4. If this were my kitchen, I would use sheet glass instead of tile for the backsplash.

5. I also seek at least one dramatic feature. In your case I would do a glass or marble mosaic mural behind the range. A statement of all statements. or fused glass mural.

look at glasskote and phoenicianarts.com

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pharaoh - thanks for your suggestions! I love the idea and look of sheet glass for the backsplash, however I don't love the price :) I know we're planning on tiling to the ceiling behind the range, but probably not everywhere else simply due to requiring so much tile.

• frank59
    14 years ago

Traci, with the style and statement that the range hood would bring to the space, I wonder if it might be easier to decide what to use behind that first? Maybe think of it as a seperate, but complimenting architectural element like your coffered ceiling.

Just a thought and might help with the rest of the backsplash. Oh and I'll echo the compliments on your work thus far.

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Frank59 - thanks for your suggestion! I have been considering whether to do something entirely different behind the range or simply use the same tile throughout. There are definitely pros and cons to each, and I like either option in other kitchens. While I like the idea of something to make more of a statement behind the range, I am so tired of thinking about it and making decisions that the simpler option of one single type of tile may win out :)

• debsan
    14 years ago

I love the first tile you posted. I think your kitchen is large enough and stark (in a good way) enough to stand up to the drama of that very uptown glass.

• tigger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Debsan. I love that tile also, but I think I'm afraid that once it's all over 3 walls it might too too stark :) Will I mind looking at it then every single day rather than something with a calmer feel?? Who knew choosing a backsplash could possibly be this difficult!