SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dollfanz_gw

What do you think of this glass backsplash?

dollfanz
15 years ago

My kitchen as well as my condo is modern. This is our forever home so Im not worried about resale. My countertops are black galaxy and my cabinets are Ikea Adel medium brown.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The 2nd picture is the only one this website had with an actual application of this glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: CBD Glass

Comments (39)

• debsan
    15 years ago

I like it. I wouldn't put it in my own home, but I have admiration for anyone who would. I'm always afraid that I'd grow tired of something so distinctive. Were the colors shown above what you had in mind? Assuming that the photo above isn't from your kitchen, you might post a photo and ask for one of the photoshop wizzes to work it up for you.

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Right, that's not my kitchen. I do have those colors in my house. I will post pics of the kitchen.

• Related Discussions

What do you think of a stainless steel tile backsplash?

Q

Comments (6)
    I think that stainless backsplashes tend to work better with a transitional/contemporary/modern kitchens than ones that are described as "a lot more traditional". Having said that, the things you mentioned that you are using: shaker cabinet fronts, espresso stain, and light/white granite/quartzite read to me as more "transitional" than "traditional". And if that's the case, I think that the stainless backsplash will work fine.
    ...See More

What do you think of this dark backsplash?

Q

Comments (6)
    Natural light is NOT the key to pulling this off. Artificial light is the key to pulling this off. This is another of those photos that utilizes multiple exposure tricks in order to have good lighting in the shadows and not be over exposed around the windows. It will NEVER look like that in real life. Having and using undercabinet lighting will be of the highest importance, as well as using the right kind of recessed lighting to wash down the fronts of the cabinets with light and light the pathways. The floor looks like terrazzo.
    ...See More

What do you think?? Floor and backsplash ideas.

Q

Comments (13)
    lucymullis-looks like we will have 7 horizontal rows of the subway on the 2 walls. Will lay out a wall first before install. Plan for now is to use the burnt umber, the clear, and the coral/peachy glass tiles maybe in the 3rd row up from the counter-haven't decided how far apart. Another option would be to just randomly put in the glass tiles anywhere in any of the rows of subway. Nothing definite yet in terms of design on those 2 walls other than the materials we will use. We must have made at least 50 different trips to various places, returning to some places several times. My DH was tired too of all the running around but all of a sudden-one day-we found what worked so hang in there.
    ...See More

What do you think of this backsplash idea?

Q

Comments (8)
    If Im correct, I think Doraville is saying she likes the stone but is suggesting that I dont choose a dark stone because of the dark backsplash. I agree, I want a light stone.....I am going to intersperse it with a glass subway tile... I went to the tile store today and am looking at a light-tan honed travertine 3X6 with a 3x6 glass subway to intersperse but probably not a sage color. Im thinking maybe a khaki color which is what my walls are....Do you think that's too blah? My kitchen opens up to my family room which has "tomato" accents....Maybe a "tomato" tile?? so confused!!!
    ...See More
  • caryscott
    15 years ago

Very Bold. I really hate it in the kitchen it is installed in (way to busy with the that granite and completely seems at odds with the turned posts and cabinetry details) but with Black Galaxy and medium brown it could be the perfect focal point. Hard to know.

• starlightfarm
    15 years ago

I agree with caryscott.... I'm not fond of it in the kitchen pic that you posted.

I think that it is one of those things that could be absolutely beautiful in the right application... but also hideous in another. Every single item would have to go together (cabinets, color, doors, hardware, countertops, etc)....

I, personally, would not attempt to incorporate it into my kitchen.

• dasistgut
    15 years ago

Much of the beauty of colored glass comes from its translucence. That is lost when glass is installed directly onto the wall. Is it possible to put a light source behind your glass prior to installation, i.e. using a thin band of LED lights?

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I agree that I am not crazy about it in the website's photo, and I wouldn't put it in my kitchen (too traditional), but I could see the brighter colors with a modern setting being stunning. I would also like to see a photo of your kitchen -- you could photoshop in the glass and get an idea what it would look like. The backlit idea would make it even more special.

• sweetd313
    15 years ago

hmm...dasistgut has a really great idea with the light source. I think that would really make the backsplash look good. Also, I think sometimes you have to be bold in your design, to show your personality.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

I'd be afraid that with dark cabs and a dark countertop it wouldn't show up at all, unless backlit. Or that it would make the whole kitchen too dark.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

what an odd photo to display this stone in??? a very traditional, raised panel, off white cabinet with very bold, modern glass tiles. odd looking. I don't like it. I think it's so dramatic that your eyes can't rest. I like drama and I like pops of things that stand out but not tiles. I think you could get tired of it. but you know yourself better than the rest of us. maybe you'll LOVE it! ;-)

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, here are some pics of our "still in progress kitchen." Please keep in mind that the range hood is temporary. We are looking for a sleeker, less obtrusive one. Will probably also change out the bar stools. The first pic, you can see into my living room and you can see the colors of my walls. I also have a red sofa. We have quite a bit of light that washes over the backsplash wall from the upper cabs. Let me know if you think that backsplash will go.
    The far wall with the sconces on them is more the true color of my walls.

• rosie
    15 years ago

My monitor messes up colors, things have a way of looking different in our kitchens, and CBD's picture seems to be a really terrible representation, so I can't really even guess if it'd "go," but I do think it might well look wonderful. The blue and its movement echo the water, and there does seem to be some caramel or gold similar to what you like on your walls among all those lovely colors, right? How would you light it?

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, my walls are a gold/caramel color. The underneath of the upper cabinets are lighted glass so the light washes down on the walls. Can you picture that backsplash? Or other ideas are welcome. I love color and that is a huge backsplash, so would like it to make a statement.
    If anyone knows how to photoshop that backsplash, I would be ever so grateful.

• suzp
    15 years ago

I think this would look awesome in your kitchen! I love the colors and it would definitely make a statement. The idea of backlighting would really make it spectacular.

• dasistgut
    15 years ago

I love the idea of glass as your backsplash, it has a wet smooth look that brings the water view inside. However I would envision more blues and greens and perhaps a less repetitive pattern than the glass in your sample photo. I used to buy small glass sheets for stained glass work, and I recall some beautiful pieces with turquoise glass flowing together with pales greens and darker blues. However the cost for a large piece of art glass might be prohibitive. I think you should bring home a piece, set it on the backsplash and look at it for a week. You'll know when you get it home if it's right for you.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Here is my attempt to mock-up the backsplash with your kitchen. I'm not sure how true to proportion it is since I only had a small sample to work with or how vivid it would really show so I attempted to cast some shadows on it. Hopefully it will help you somewhat.

Jodi-

• gldnfan
    15 years ago

I love it - and with your colors I think the one you chose is really a nice combination of you amazing water view and the colors in your home.

I think it would be spectacular.

I am a color person though and I always push things a bit. Unless they are lying to me - very possible ;-) - people generally respond to the bolder choices I've made in a positive fashion.

In the end only you - and whoever lives with you lol - needs to like it.

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Wow Jodi! Thanks. That does help a lot.

• boringmama
    15 years ago

jodi--you are amazing with that wonderful mockup--where were you when I needed you ? :>) That being said, personally I love the colors, but I would never put it where you want. It looks like a beautiful wall mural that will probably want to be replaced in an unknown number of years. You HAVE to love,love,love it to have it. Do YOU?

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I may need to rethink this. If it turns out that bold. Especially since it's such a large backsplash. Yikes.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I like idea, and I like the idea of the light washing over the glass, but I'm not sure I like that much of it. Have you seen the glass to see how opaque it is and get a feel for how it would look on the wall? Can you order a sample?

• happy2b…gw
    15 years ago

I love the idea of a glass mural. I think you are on the right track. The abstract nature of this one fits the style of your condo, but I agree with you that this one is bold. Keep looking and thinking it will come together. Please keep us posted.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I think the application in your apartment could be interesting but perhaps not over the whole backplash. Have you considered mostly black like the countertop with a section in the specialty glass

I hate it on the website shot but actually those cabinets are traditional with a metallic silver finish, so I actually hate the entire kitchen they show it in.

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm at a loss. I now realize that I really need to keep in mind the size of that wall. It can be easily overwhelmed. What do you all think of one large piece of backpainted glass?
    I also like palimpsest's idea.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I have a sheet of back painted glass and it worked quite well.

• donka
    15 years ago

I love the idea of a large backpainted glass. Or, on their website they also have glass with a lot of movement and no colour, which might look good in the space. Very dramatic, but not as overwhelming.

• rcvt
    15 years ago

Dollfanz, I like your kitchen, your view, and your layout. My house is modern too, not hard-edge but definitely very far from traditional. If I had the kind of space you have, and if I had sufficient talent, I would want to design and make something for that kind of unique location.

I've worked in stained glass a little and I understand the deep allure of the medium. (My first teacher's website is at http://www.chrisjeffrey.com/information.htm.) There must be glass artisans near you or within a reasonable drive, yes? I encourage you to visit a few local stained-glass craftspeople and bring good photographs of your kitchen space in its context. I bet you'll be excited by their vision, and I bet that whatever they might charge would be reasonably similar to what you might expect to spend for the readymade backsplash online. Visitng them and seeing their catalogues of work might be an awe-inspiring delight.

The online backsplash is very nice but it isn't -- can't be -- unique to your own home. Your posting suggests, to me, a longing for something striking and original. A custom piece could be the heart of your kitchen. Artists are sharply aware of the cost of materials and time and can be quite specific about what a piece might cost. They can scale up or down to suit you. Your project is exciting to me and I urge you not to rush into a decision until you've had time to see what kind of custom work might be available to you.

I hope this helps and isn't too pushy. I got jazzed by your project and I fear I may have gushed out too much advice. :)

rc
    in
    VT

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks RCVT, that's exactly what I will do. And I will take my time too. I am an antique dealer and love art glass and styles from the Art Deco era. I would love something that would incorporate to two.
    Thank you for your advice. I don't think you were too pushy at all. It's just what I wanted to hear. And thank you ALL for your input.
    Back to the drawing board.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

I'll be bold and say that I don't like the idea of that glass for your backsplash. Your kitchen is a beautiful modern space with classic lines and colours. The glass is pretty but it's nowhere near as sophisticated as the rest of the room.

If you want to make it work well, I think that you need to change a lot of things in the room to give the backsplash some context. It is very specifically in the "Mod" style rather than modern and it's going to look out of place on its own.

I hope I'm not sounding too brusque here, but your room is so beutiful now that it would be a shame to head off on a tangent...

Good Luck !

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

How about glass tile instead?

Jodi-

• donka
    15 years ago

Ooo...I like that!

• whidbey
    15 years ago

Here's another image from their website (smae glass) :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Multi-Color Glass

• shanghaimom
    15 years ago

Holy Cow, that's a big backsplash! The blues and greens in the glass tile look really lovely with the rest of your decor and that amazing view.

The photoshop view of the swishy rainbow glass made me cringe, I'll be honest. How about a trivet? (o:

• dollfanz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh gosh Jodi, that's beautiful! I really really like that! Have to show that one to some friends that are coming over tonight. You are so much help. I mean being able to see what it might actually look like instead of samples or guessing from websites is amazing. Thank you sooo much.

• gldnfan
    15 years ago

Ok, I came back and saw I cross posted with the mock-up and I agree - if it turns out that dramatic - you really gotta love it!

I love the second mock-up with the vertical glass mosaic, but that doesn't sound like what you are going for even though it is beautiful.

You have been given great ideas - and you are right. THere is no hurry, the kitchen looks great now and take your time to find what you will like looking at for years and years.

I was going mad trying to pick a backsplash and then I finally - hello?! - figured out I really don't have to choose until everything is in and I can really "see" it.

Turns out I stumbled across the perfect backsplash after I gave up looking! But I just got lucky.

THat space really is a wonderful opportunity to do something very personal and uniquely yours. Have fun!

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Another mock up with a gray glass tile backsplash.

Jodi-

• mdev
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, but it is just awful, IMHO. But most people appear to disagree with me, which is a good thing if you like it :)

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Which backsplash are you referring to mdev?

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I liked the idea of the big glass backsplash, but not really the colours - the red especially seemed like a bit much. I also like the mock up of the green vertical tiles = nice pattern....hmmmm.....

• mdev
    15 years ago

The very first one...