SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloudbase_gw

Integrated Concrete Farmhouse/Prep Sink

cloudbase
11 years ago

I'll be making our countertops and sink for the new kitchen (not a huge undertaking, less than 35sqft of counter surface) out of concrete. A daunting task, to be sure, but I have significant background in casting (metal and clay) and ceramics and plaster work, so I know how to think in negatives and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

If you're poising those typing fingers to dissuade me from doing this, I'll save you the trouble now. I understand all the pros and cons and it is the only material that is as customizable as I want it. Folks in the bathroom forum found out what happens when you try to discourage me from doing crazy over-the-top projects...10,000 hand painted glass tiles later, it's kitchen time.

I would like the wise cooks and kitcheneers in this forum to give me an honest technical assessment of this plan. What we're looking at is this:

36" wide "shorty" cabinet on which the sink will sit

Left basin is 19" square (so I can soak a cookie sheet) and will have a food disposal.

Right basin is 12" wide and 16 1/2" front to back.

Left side counter is a drainboard into the sink.

Right side counter has an inset cutting board (removeable) that slides over the little sink to reveal a hole in the countertop, underneath of which is the pull-out garbage can. So, veggies etc are washed in the little sink and then set on the cutting board that is on the right. When that step is done, the cutting board is slid to the left and chopping commences - and waste is easily tossed down the hole with no need for a garbage bowl or pulling the can out.

Two detail considerations: the bottoms of both sinks will be clad in copper (embedded in the concrete) so they're a little easier on dishes and the sink stays nice. The garbage hole in the counter will have a removable metal liner/flange that can be quickly rinsed when it gets icky (which it invariably will...my guy is a machinist so this is a super easy thing for him to make).

Again, we start with a Sketch-up model (forgive me for the simple shapes - the drainboard will have rails and the basins will be appropriately tapered). The concrete colors are not decided officially, I just made the counter black and the sink gray for ease of understanding the two units:

Comments (8)