SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petra_gw

How long did you have to wait for you countertop?

petra_gw
12 years ago

I could just pull my hair out, last week the guy came to measure for the countertop (cosentino eco) and told us it would take approx. 3 weeks until install.

Early this week the order was finalized, we paid the balance, and today, we got a call that they are backlogged and will not be able to install until mid July at the earliest. I think this is outrageous and immediately wanted to cancel and pick another countertop material, but hubby wants us to sit tight. He is hoping a whole bunch of other people will cancel and we might get ahead of the line.

For those of you who are done with countertops, what did you pick, and how long did you have to wait for install? Would you wait almost 8 weeks? It just does not seem reasonable to me.

Comments (42)

• jcasola5
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Completely outrageous, especially after they took your money. I had my Calacatta marble counters measured 2 days ago (big kitchen and marble slab backsplash) and it will be ready next Friday. 7-10 days is what all the reputable fabricators/installers told us. demand sooner or your money back.

• kmennenga
    12 years ago

I ordered my 4 slabs of granite and within two weeks of the template they were installed. I wasnt asked for the final 50% until the day of the install.

• Related Discussions

waiting for seller after counter-counter-offer

Q

Comments (12)
    Being a Realtor myself, I DO NOT do Dual Agency. I would rather refer a client to another agent so each side gets represented. I use this analogy "Would a Prosecutor also be allowed to be the Defense attorney in a court case?" Of course not. It opens up way to many conflicts and is also the most common item that brings lawsuits against a real estate agent and brokerages. Hmmmm, Maybe the brokerage could use the attotney that is suing them to also represent their defense...LOL. Finally have your own agetn that you can talk to openly and represent YOUR BEST interests.
    ...See More

How far did you go to get your stone countertop?

Q

Comments (29)
    Everyone has been SO helpful. I am SO grateful for this process. If I was not caught in a bind, I would not have visited Westwood to stumble on the chance on finding my beloved beloved Mountain White Danby marble. Then my fabricator called the suppliers (VT Quarries) and they have slabs in the size I need (so I only need to purchase 2 slabs: yay), and they should arrive w/in 3 weeks! I also love the fact that I'm supporting local business (from VT - I've been to this quarry). As soon as I saw the Danby, I knew I that I have moved completely away from Carrara. The love for Carrara was gone. I really thank the Westwood marble and granite website. If it weren't for their pricing listed, I would have concluded that all Danby were out of my budget. So use the website to figure out what you may like... With my cabinets and medium stain flooring (but on maple instead): Mountain White on Left; Carrara on Right. See how grey the carrara slab is?
    ...See More

How long did your countertops take from start to finish?

Q

Comments (12)
    At AZ School of Rock, we teach new Fabricators to plan in extra time to cover for "glitches" - that way, IF there are no delays, they can serve the customers sooner and everybody is happy. The "turn-around" time is going to vary due to a number of "variables", and unfortunately, this is the busiest time of the year for countertop Fabricators. IF all of your variables are like "ducks in a row" ie: "When the Moon is in the seventh hous and Jupiter is aligned with Mars" (showing my age here...), Then and ONLY then, you will have a shot at getting your project done in "Rapido-Speedo" mode. OTHERWISE be prepared for a longer turnaround time. Unfortunately - People have selective hearing when it comes to dates quoted by Contractors - The Contractor wants to be the hero, and says "Well, it could take anywhere from 1 to 6 weeks" Translation heard by the customer: "It WILL take ONLY 1 WEEK".... AND, to make matters worse, the Contractor will many times SAY that it will take a shorter amount of time, when he KNOWS that this will only happen if PIGS FLY... See what I mean - it's a battle, and many times, the collateral damage is that the Customer gets inconvenienced by a longer wait because of any number of reasons. In short, there's no real Golden Answer to your question, other than "expect the worst, but hope for the best" - when it comes to meeting deadlines. Remember... You are NOT your Fabricator's ONLY customer, Likewise - and I always try to remember this..... If I don't TREAT YOU like YOU are MY ONLY Customer, then...You'll probably be MY LAST ONE!!! This is what we teach new Fabricators at AZ School of Rock... Hope that helps kevin Fabricator, Trainer & Consultant to the Natural Stone Industry www.azschoolofrock.com Here is a link that might be useful: AZ School of Rock
    ...See More

Do you have Cambria chiseled edge counter top? Do you like it?

Q

Comments (19)
    We did this in a showroom, on an island that we used to set up buffets. Yes, people snagged their fuzzy sweater type clothes on it, and yes, it was difficult to clean. Requires a scrub brush, lots of towels, and a directed spray of clean water to rinse. Thus the towels, to keep the water off of the cabinets. The great chocolate syrup spill during our ice cream sundae gathering was a pain to get it looking right again.
    ...See More
  • petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, 7 - 10 days, that sounds great. Our remodel has been one glitch after another, I am so sick of it.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I paid half down and the balance after the install which was about 12 days after the measuring. Actually they just left a bill with me the day they installed and said to just send a check.

I would demand that they install within the 3 weeks or give the money back. July is ridiculous and who's to say they won't put you off longer?

Nancy

• prill
    12 years ago

My soapstone came in less than a week... Almost too fast. Templated and fabricated in the driveway.

• rob from nj
    12 years ago

We paid half upfront. Templating was a couple of days after we called to let them know we were ready for them. Granite was installed 3 days later. We paid the balance after the install. The installers left a bill.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

My fabricator said 7-10 and in reality it was 7. I paid him upfront 1/2 and he just said mail a check for the other 1/2 after I spent some time with it.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Did i understand this correctly: they paid everything, before the counter is installed.
    ( ? )

(... order was finalized, ... the balance )

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, we went though Lowe's, they require half down, and then the remainder once everything is measured and the order is ready to be submitted. They subcontracted a stone manufacturer about 2.5 hours away from here.

• spayurdog
    12 years ago

I paid 1/2 upfront for soapstone, it was ready in 2 weeks. They sent a bill for remainder (just a few days ago) and I haven't paid it yet.

• billp1
    12 years ago

First always pay with a credit card.. They will stop a payment if you dispute it . Never pay more then half for anything till it is installed.

I would go back to Lowe's and demand half your money back until the counter top is delivered.

• kitchennovice44
    12 years ago

I went through HD...they require full payment upfront...but using a major credit card definitely gives you protection that a check can't. Templated the next day after cabs were installed - counter installed 12 days later. 8 weeks is ridiculous...if you are going to wait, I'd demand a % off the price for the inconvenience.

• laur66
    12 years ago

Like many others here we chose our granite and paid 50% up front. Once we were ready for the countertops, gave them a call and they measured within 2 days. The granite was installed 2 weeks later and the balance was due after the install. Waiting 8 weeks is ridiculous. Is there any place other than Lowes around that you can check out?

L

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We used a Lowe's gift card which we bought when they had their "get 10% of whatever gift card amount you purchased added to your card". So we are locked into going with Lowe's. Even if we cancel this contract, we would have to purchase another countertop through them. And it took us forever to pick a countertop color we both really liked. And they don't have any choices besides what they had when we had a hard time picking something.

And we are in the boonies and have a Lowe's and Home Depot and only one private Countertop place which specializes in tile countertops. I really think we are screwed. I checked the Lowe's contract and it has an installation date of June 8th, so am going to call the countertop place on Monday and talk to them about this. If I don't get anywhere with them, I will call Lowe's and see what, if anything, they can do.

• Mossfern
    12 years ago

It was supposed to be three days,and it ended up being three weeks. Got all sorts of excuses about broken down trucks and stuff. But I guess three weeks isn't so bad. I have been waiting over a month for the carpenter to finish the little bits so the painter can finish the little bits left.

I haven't paid them in full, so I guess they're just very wealthy and don't need the money. Go figure. It's part of a long story.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

daviddro, I don't understand what you don't get?? If you buy from lowe's or home depot, they require 100% of the cost up front. That is just the way it is, case closed. Cutting and polishing and everything is included, that is in the contract. They don't require any additional money beyond that.

No, paying everything at once is not ideal, but as I mentioned above, we are in the boonies and do not have a lot of options.

Re. the install, the initial estimate was about 3 weeks, now it has gone to more than twice that, and I am not happy with the situation. I did not ask if it is "okay" to wait for 2 months, I asked how long people had to wait for their countertops to get an idea if 2 months was anywhere near reasonable and thankfully, many people were nice enough to reply to my question and reinforced that this is not acceptable. Therefore, I will call and complain on Monday.

• Stefaniebb
    12 years ago

Petra,
    I understand about having to pay upfront and my neighbors bristled at that idea too! We did have to pay 1/2 down at time we ordered but we actually did the minimum sq ft to get the discounts and when they templated we had an increase we had to go pay. We went out the next day after template to pick our granite slabs out and then was told 2 weeks for install. The actual install date is two full weeks and a day.
    The bottom line is if you are unhappy with Home Depot or Lowe's you have a receipt they will correct to make you happy its different than dealing with a local contractor- for my electrician I didn't pay him until the job was complete or my tile guy- its just a different system when you work with the big corporations.
    I had to pay 90 percent upfront of cabinets and install costs since I went with HD. I still have the balance that I haven't paid since they have to come back to install the sink etc

Good luck! I would see if they can bump you up or if you have any other options in fabricators since they subcontract that out but maybe in your location they only have one?

• davidro1
    12 years ago

This case might be a good example of "thinking outside the box": my recommendation is to go to the management of this particular Lowe's store and tell them it's not reasonable for them to "ask for" 100% when nothing has been done. I'll bet it's not a Lowe's policy and that this store will apologize to you. My prediction.

I'm glad to sense that you are getting worked up over this.

Paying most of the balance upon completion is a normal way to do business, everywhere in the world, for any and all services imaginable. Even holding back a bit.

If you let the store have your money for a month or two in advance, you are allowing them to engage in lax accounting practices which falsify their true situation when they deal with their bank, their head office, their behind the scenes partners -- it even allows one of the co-owners to hide problems from the other co-owners (if there is a team of owners or a family). Reading more into it, you might replace the word lax with the word fraud, either current or future or potential. Your letting them have what "someone" in the store asked for, enables fraud. You are guilty of being an enabler.

If for any reason at all the store goes into receivership you will have a lot of work to get your claim processed. It is completely possible and realistic that this one store has a cashflow problem that will cause it to be "restructured" and the average customer might not even see it but you as a creditor would see it if it happened.

Don't lend them money for a month or two. That is what they must go to the bank for.

This is a commercial practices question, not a kitchen question, not a countertop delivery question.

In speaking to the management, you tell them what you have now learned, and you make it clear that the rule that someone in their store tried to create (100% in advance) is the first thing to change. You do have a lot of options: you tell them you are going to ask around ("are you guys even solvent?") and guess what happens? They don't want any rumors that they are going out of business, so they suddenly change their "rules and regulations" to match commercial practices everywhere else on the planet.

Mentioning that you might email Lowe's corporate head office is a good way to exert a lot of psychological pressure. Also, all the companies that supply materials to the store have to be paid within X number of days, and if any one of them finds out that a store is ripping money out of a future customer just to keep it for 8 or 10 weeks in advance of doing the work, they will demand to be paid up right away before delivering any more new material to ALL the stores in the chain. This squeezes their cashflow. Millions of dollars suddenly have to be allocated to keeping suppliers happy before the next shipment.

This post of mine, on Sunday morning, will have a major impact on Lowe's tomorrow morning. My prediction.

--

Someone in the store or someone at the countertop fabrication shop called you to delay. Hmmm... Keep in mind that a single phone call from, informing you of a future delay, will most likely not be the only phone call. The phone will ring again one day between now and the supposed time of completion, and that call will inform you of a more specific date that is far far later than you are thinking of right now. Another phone call will delay again. That is how the story goes.

Ultimately the Lowe's store can blame the misunderstanding on the fact that they were dealing with an outside supplier and vice versa and nobody will ever really know how this silly rule about 100% in advance got created. AND nobody will take any money from you unless they can deliver within three weeks from the time they take your money. My prediction.

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

Petra, this totally is awful that they make you wait this long. I feel for you. :o(

• jcasola5
    12 years ago

I hate to be negative but I don't think this is a misunderstanding. I think this is a big box store policy. I say this because we had the same issue several years ago when ordering window coverings from Home Depot. 100 Percent due up front. We protested and were told that's their policy. For a variety of reasons at the time, we went ahead with the order but vowed never to do business with them again. This is completely unreasonable and as pointed out above, simply not the way business is done. Do the job and properly and then he paid the entire amount. Common sense and common business practice. I suspect Lowes will dIo what they can to help with delivery date, but no change on the 100 percent up front.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

petra, I didn't answer your question because so many others have already said it, but I thought you might to even hear it again...We were told 7-10 days from templating. It was ready in 7 days, but we asked if they would do it on a Monday rather than a Friday, so we could be 100% ready for them.

Not that this is much better, but perhaps the word "July" was used instead of "June"? Good luck with your call tomorrow. And make sure to not talk to the salesperson in the department. I would ask for the store manager, explain the situation and let them get to the bottom of it. While you're at it, maybe call the "local" HD and see what kind of timeline they are working on. Wouldn't that be interesting to let Lowes know that you could have / should have gone elsewhere. (even though you knew you were committed to them)

I still find it hard to believe that they are THAT busy! No matter what, the economy isn't booming. I was in the granite place where my counters are from, I asked how was business and they told me "not where we wish it was. Very slow" And this is a very good place, in my opinion.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Davidro, I totally agree re, business practices, but what can you do. We just have limited options here. I will call the installer directly on Monday and also take your advice and ask for the Lowe's store manager if they blow me off.

The person who called with the changed installation date is the project coordinator who calls various installers during various phases of the remodel and then calls the home owner with updates. She talked directly to the installer before she called.

Bee, no, I verified that it was July. I repeated it several times because I was stunned about the date, ha. She said the first or second week of July at the earliest. This installer services a huge area, but I also find it hard to believe they are THAT busy. And if they truly are, they should be honest about the time frame so people can decide if they wish to wait that long before measurement and payment. I suppose it IS possible that, as Eco is made in Spain and the slabs are shipped to the installer, somehow a delivery has been delayed, or something of that nature. But in that case, they would have known before they came to measure. I just don't believe that the estimate legitimately changed from 3 weeks to 2 months in 8 days.

Johnny, same here, we are not ever going to do business with any of the big box stores again. We did try to find a local independent countertop place, but no luck as I didn't want tile countertops. Thankfully, our floor was done by a local shop and they are also going to do the backsplash which, of course, can't be done until the countertops are in place. And our chimney vent hood can't be installed until then either. This is delaying everything.

Adrienne, thanks. It is really irritating.

Stefanie, same with the local floor tile guy, we paid for materials up front, and for labor after the tile install was done and we were satisfied. Much better way of doing business.

• lisaj1354
    12 years ago

NEVER, EVER USE LOWES FOR ANYTHING!!!

I can't begin to tell you the nightmare that was my experience with Lowes.

It took them 4 months to install my wood floors. The wood had large chips and I had to get on my hands and kneee's and mark each and every board that had to be replaced. And replaced again. And again.

In the process, they ruined my walls - with scratches, scrapes and somehow managed to actually rub the paint off of one spot. One guy ended up drawing on a wall with a pencil in his back pocket, and then denied he'd done it - even though his boss was right there and saw the whole thing.

They used my floor vents as garbage disposals for the wood chips from the floor install.

They dumped garbage, wood and glue on the floor of one of my bathrooms.

They stole items from my garage, and rummaged through my belongings in the garage.

They ruined the newly installed carpet on my stairs. They had to replace it for free.

They were homophobic towards my decorator.

They ripped out the subfloor and never replaced it before laying down the wood.

If they were the last store on the face of the earth, I wouldn't go in there for anything. Ever.

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

Wow, I have never had any trouble with my local Lowe's and HD. They've always been really good about everything with me (I mean sales and returns; I haven't had them install anything in the last several years). It sounds as though some of the individual installers they contract out could be a problem, based on the previous poster's experience. I am not surprised about the 100% advance payment, because it's a big box after all; but the few times I've had problems with goods, the managers of my local big boxes have been very helpful. Petra, I would just echo what others have said: contact the store manager tomorrow, tell her you didn't expect such a long wait for countertops and wouldn't have chosen them if you'd known, and ask for either quicker installation or a refund. I have a friend who had Lowe's install her kitchen and she had only a glowing report of the whole experience (I should ask her how long it took, next time I see her; she didn't mention it one way or the other). I hope the store can work it out for you.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Mt stainless steel took a few months, and that's without including the guy getting our approximate measurements beforehand to order material. But you know, artists...

As for the stone, it took us 2 years to pick it, but once we did, the fabricator was ready to work it and install it in less than a week.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Oh, by the way, yeah, these stores charge up front. Can't be helped.

But on the bright side, they do usually care about how their subs perform (or in your case, don't perform). DO do do talk to management and complain and see what they can do. They may have a different sub they can use. At the very least, they need to know how this sub is screwing with them and their customers.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa, that's awful. Did you complain to Lowe's and, if so, did they do anything to fix this? Sounds like they scraped the bottom of the barrel with your contractors.
    NorthCarolina, I hope so too. All I want is to have the countertops installed within a reasonable time frame, surely that is not too much to expect.
    Fori, that's about how long it took us to decide on countertops. :o)

• dash3108
    12 years ago

I work at a kitchen store and we use the same fabricator as Home Depot. Well we use them for 2 cm granite, and for certain specific colors (esp the $29-45 / sf colors). I can tell you that they take longer than the other granite fabrictors we use for 3 cm, quartz, etc. Our other fabricators have the job finished within 2 weeks. The HD fabricator states in their contract that it will be 4 weeks from templating to install. I guess I've always assumed that they get a lot of work from HD, and that they're busier than other shops we deal with? It's definitely hard to explain the timeline to customers.

In terms of money, all of our fabricators require the job to be paid for in full before install. They'd really like the full amount up front, but the least they will take is 50% before they go template and the balance before they will go back to install.

• ironcook
    12 years ago

hi petra...

sorry for your troubles, but totally understand the choice you had to make with Lowe's and their policy.

to answer your original question, we put 10 percent down and the balance is due on installation for Zodiaq through an independent shop. the slab arrived in less than a week and has been sitting for three weeks at the fabricator because dh is, uh... slow. supposedly it takes 2-3 days to fab after measurement. then the install is scheduled.

i think what it comes down to is how badly you want that particular material. if you really like it, you'll have to wait.

fwiw, we were told ahead that there can be delays because a particular color is backordered. it may be what you chose is popular or produced in more limited quantities.

i know it's frustrating... hang in there.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ironcook, I would be willing to go with something else, but hubby really loves the Eco Luna countertop. I really liked some of the Zodiaq colors, which one did you pick?

• lisaj1354
    12 years ago

Petra - they did replace/re-install the carpet for free, but it took threats of a lawsuit to get them to give me a small break on the price of the wood floor. They did not cover the cost of repainting my stairways and LR walls that they scraped up and ruined.

Now I have to come up with enough money to basically repaint more than 1/2 my house, while still paying Lowe's off for their work.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa, that's incredible, and too bad they are getting away with it. Have you tried writing to Lowe's corporate HQ to complain?

I called the installers this morning, they were very nice and explained there usually is a 6 week wait, but that 8 weeks is too long. They are going to check with the scheduler who is due to return tomorrow morning and call back after talking to her.

Lowe's never told us there was an almost definite wait time of 6 weeks, grrr. They said 3 - 4 weeks, probably sooner. Thus, the install date of June 8th. I guess they really don't know as they put that date in the contract, but they NEED to know so they can inform customers and let them decide if they want to wait that long.

• gillycat
    12 years ago

what bothers me about this and is a point no-one has brought up.when they came to template and measure etc they MUST have already known that they were backed up and too busy and yet were happy to take your money and then only after that , call to let you know of the delay.
    There is no way on this or any other planet, they could become more than a month delayed suddenly within a week. Maybe a week delayed!

i think this is an important point which does need to be discussed with the manager at Lowe's since to me the fabricator took your money under false pretenses.
    If they are not going to start cutting for over a month they should have waited to take your money.w

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

muspic, it bothers me too as the installer said about 3 - 4 weeks, which is too long already as far as I'm concerned. But of course, the installer preceded that statement with "I'm not sure, and I might be wrong, but I think...".

I agree we should not have had to pay anything until a definite date for the install had been set. I feel like they did a bait and switch, and I don't like it. But if Lowe's was aware, I don't know why they put down an installation date of June 8th.

Honestly, if they had told us it would take this long before we ordered the countertops, we would have probably ordered something else.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

If they put down an installation date of June 8th, then that's what they owe you. Obviously, life happens, and things can get delayed a little here or there. But 6 weeks' delay is just not OK.

I throw my vote into the pile of "Call The Manager". And if that doesn't work then Call Corporate. I'm pretty sure these stores must all be semi-independent if for no other reason than that they're contracting with different local folks, so you would expect a quite different level of service in different locales. But that doesn't mean the corporate office isn't wanting any level of consistency. I imagine they would want to be knowing about this bait-and-switch if the manager isn't incensed.

Really, I'm guessing that higher-ups will help you out. But you do have to reach out to them and explain your frustration about the situation.

BTW, while the local shop may be overworked and overwhelmed, it will also be the case that Lowes' is a massive customer and they will do what they say. If the store manager calls and says 'honor the June 8th contract date', I'm guessing they will honor the June 8th contract date. It can't possibly be worth it to them to lose their contract with Lowes. Call the manager.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I will call the manager pending call-back from the installer. Still haven't heard anything, if no one calls back by this afternoon, I will call again. Very frustrating, all of it.

• Gamegrrl
    12 years ago

Our kitchen project is being done by a contractor. The countertop guys (subcontractor) came and measured two weeks ago today. They said it would be two or three weeks. Today is the two week mark, and I just got a call saying it will be another three weeks because they are so backlogged. That's five weeks. I'm pissed.

• colletteone
    12 years ago

At least some of you got a phone call to explain the delay. I haven't been given that courtesy and I'm in my 7th week of waiting and was idiot enough to give them 75% down. It isn't like I ordered Italian marble that had to come over on the ship, FGS.

• ufdionysus
    last year

I just got my contract for countertops ordered through Lowes. I would be thrilled with your time estimate. Mine says work is expected to start in three months and complete in nine months. I was shocked. Paid in full already. I can cancel and demand a refund, but then I'd have to start all over with somewhere else, and I don't want to do that. I might because that time frame is very far from reasonable. Everything in this house renovation has taken far longer than I think is reasonable.

• millworkman
    last year
    last modified: last year

"I would be thrilled with your time estimate."

There timeline estimate was a minimum of 10 years ago so pretty much useless in the big picture. Also do not forget we are still dealing with the pandemic after effects and a stupid busy contractor market.

"Everything in this house renovation has taken far longer than I think is reasonable."

Again................

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    last year

I am a fabricator. One of the questions to ask when picking a fabricator is what their percentage of jobs is completed as scheduled. A poorly run shop will constantly be missing measure or install dates. One in a while a job might be delayed a day or two because a part breaks or the shop has a machine breakdown. In my shop we turn around in 2-3 weeks and schedule jobs to be completed in the shop 2 days before install so we have a bit of cushion. A typical residential job, even a big one with mitered edges, vanity tops, and a basement bar, takes 1-1/2 to 3 days in the shop so 6 week delays from measure to install are only because the people running the shop don't know how to schedule any better.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional