SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20154839

Window down to counter, no bump, design option feedback

User
13 years ago

In my current kitchen, I have a large (9 foot, 5 inch) slider window (fixed center, two sliding panels to the sides), that goes all the way to the counter. Because the counter goes over the windowsill, it is about 3 inches deeper than the standard 25 inch countertop.

I am going to replace this window as part of the remodel, because it is leaky.

I have a love/hate affair with this window:

1. I love the view

2. I use that extra 3 inches of counterspace -- especially in the corner with the big kitchenaid mixer. I can have the mixer on the counter and still have workroom. Because of the view, this is my main prep area.

On the other hand...

1. I hate cleaning the splash marks that accumulate on the window.

2. I hate the disgusting state that the track for the sliding panels gets in, and it is very hard to clean out. Spills and splashes get into that track way too easily.

My design choices are:

1. A new window to the countertop, keeping the deeper workspace.

2. A new window slightly shorter, creating a small backsplash but keeping the view. This option will cause me to lose the deeper workspace, because my bumpout is designed to be just the depth of the windows and counter, and having the counter stick further into the room would look really odd.

I had a contractor out who suggested, instead of a 9 foot custom window, putting in a 24 inch slider, a 60 inch picture window, and another 24 inch slider. This would move the tracks off to the corners where less stuff would get into them. Also, the replacement window will sit on a deck in the existing windowframe, so a spill will still have to jump up a bit more to get into the window. Right now, the track has a tiny lip that practically guarantees gunk will spill over.

My current inclination is to use the new "no track in the middle" design, and keep the window to the counter. I would like to know if there is anything else I can do with my sink/faucet choices to reduce the splashing on the window.

I would also like to know if anyone has taken out a window-to-the-counter configuration and been happier to have the windowsill up a bit... Am I trying to hard to keep something that just isn't worth the mess?

Also, the new design puts more vertical lines on the sides of my view, while elminating them from the center of the window. Is there anything that would look more attractive? A casement window is not an option, because it would go out into the stairs for the deck.

Thanks for your wisdom, here are the photos:

Current window:

{{gwi:1867796}}

Given my software, I can't draw a window all the way to the counter, but this gives a general idea of what the new window would look like.

Line drawing of proposed new design:

{{gwi:1867797}}

Color rendering of new design:

{{gwi:1867798}}

Comments (11)