SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Replacing tile in tub/shower--decisions, decisions! (HELP pls!)

sooz
15 years ago

We have a little "sorta-ranch style" stucco home, no noteworthy architectural details inside or out, started out with 2 bdrms, 1 ba, 900 square feet that was built in 1949, but we eventually added to it.

The original bathroom has a window in the tub/shower area, and was tiled with 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tile--a greyish almost indiscernable pattern that I liked. After 20 years (!) of having wallpaper, we pulled that off and painted the walls white in an attempt to make it brighter. We did aquamarine accents and accessories and changed out the towels. We use a shower curtain that's clear, and feel it adds to the feel of roominess and light.

Had some plumbing problems and tore out the tile this weekend.

I'd like some suggestions for replacing the tile. I was thinking white 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" with maybe an accent "band" running three-fourths of the way up from the floor, around the inside area of the tub/shower.

I'm leaning toward white to keep the room bright, but don't want it to look institutional. I was also thinking of having a course of the same color tile set on the diagonal to give a simple pattern to the area.

I've been to tile showrooms and they just make me more indecisive because, after all, I can't change out the tile as easily as I can change out the towels or color scheme!

I want to stay in keeping with the style of the house, I don't like subway tile, but was wondering what I can do for the tile color and patterns, and sure would appreciate any help and input!

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH