SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alidanae

Tub surround - replace or embrace?

Alicia Petrucci
9 years ago

We're remodeling our MB on a tight $5k. DIY'ing everything and keeping the existing layout is helping us stay on budget. Our existing tub surround is tiled in 4" white glossies. I had my heart set on white subway, but to save money we decided to embrace the existing surround, leave it completely in tact, and use the same 4" tiles for the shower and vanity backsplash. However, as you can see from the pic below, the existing tiles have a texture to them. The closest match we've found is at $6/sq ft, and even then it's not a true match. At this point, I'd really like to just rip up the surround and retile with the inexpensive HD white subway I wanted in the first place. My husband thinks I'm crazy for wanting to replace white tile with white tile, but I'm very particular and the mismatch, however slight, would drive me crazy...especially knowing we spent so much (comparatively) for something we didn't love. So what do you think? Should we replace or embrace?

And speaking of the surround, does anyone have any ideas on how to spruce up this area despite which tile we choose? My dream would be to frame out the front panel with shaker style white wood and do a marble top, but that's just not in the budget. I included some before photos to give an idea of our layout, as well as our style board. We're going with the white vanity shown with carrara marble top, grey porcelain floor tile, white subway or 4" white shower wall and backsplash tile and 1" marble hex for the shower floor and niche. (I haven't decided on white or grey grout yet.) I don't think framing out the front panel would break the bank, but will that look odd with a tile top? The one good thing about this area is it's not in the sight line of the room. You don't see it until you walk all the way in. Still, I'd like to give it a little more oomph if we can. Perhaps a niche using the 1" hex on the outside wall, to the left of the large window? Built in shelves on the outside wall? Although I'm not too keen on dusting them. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Before Pics

Sight Line

Half Way In

Tub Surround

Existing Textured 4" Tub Surround Tiles

Style Board

Comments (18)