SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Makeover of existing sunroom

pippi21
12 years ago

We have an existing sunroom that now has wall to wall carpet that the previous seller had installed when the house was put on the market in 2005..It is a light beige, and we use this room all day long, from waking time to bedtime. When we moved here, we bought along our existing kitchen table/chairs set;we eat all our meals at this table. Our formal dining room does not get used except when we entertain guest. The sunroom was built on a concrete slab. We get the sun in that room all day long and the glare is so bad that we keep the mini blinds closed until dinner time. The ceiling has many hooks in it where the previous owner hung plants. These homes were built in 1977 with no ceiling lights and since there are many ceiling hooks in the popcorn/textured ceiling, I'm assuming the original owners had chain-link lamps which was the style then. These hooks could be an asset, I would love to have a few hanging plants in the sunroom but with the existing carpet, watering them can be tricky, in case of water overflow or spill of soil on light carpet. DH sits in recliner 90% of the day, either watching tv, reading, listening to audio books or sleeping. Where do I have to sit:.in a chair that belongs to the kitchen table set. Those chairs have wheels on them and we like that feature and don't want to get rid of them. The table is too large and an odd shape on the ends, and can be made larger with the leaf that came with it, that we keep stored in the home office closet. Not only do we eat breakfast and dinner at this table, but DH reads his newspaper there every morning while drinking his coffee. He is person that is not willing to change his routine. I usually am up before him and do not have breakfast at same time or sit down at the table with him for breakfast. We do eat dinner together at that table. Since we eat sandwiches for lunch, he does eat that meal while sitting in his recliner.

Where he sits in his recliner, that carpet gets soiled really bad.If he goes outside, he never wipes his shoes when he comes in the house. I want to remove that carpeting in this sunroom and replace it with some type of flooring that can be more practical..maybe tile that can be cleaned with water. The sunroom door exits to the backyard where I maintain flowerbeds. Our house is attached to our next door neighbor so it means I walk around the house to care for these flowerbeds or go through the sunroom door. I have to remove my shoes outside before I enter through the sunroom door so not to dirty the carpet or walk back around the side of the house. I need some ideas for decorating and making this room cozy, practical and taking advantage of existing features. This room has large windows on each side of it, that look out to houses beside and behind us. I know this is lengthy but I am so depressed and frustrated with this room that could be made beautiful and cozy. I'd be willing to donate existing table to a charity and buy a smaller one but would like to keep at least 2 of the chairs or maybe we could have the table cut down smaller and set it up on the side of the room where the door to the outside is located. That was one of my thoughts.

Would vertical blinds help to cut down on the glare better than miniblinds? What about solar shades? We stayed at a hotel in Arizona that had them throughout their lobby and restaurant and they were attractive and certain served their purpose well.

Comments (11)