SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Not my house, but helpful. Sunroom part 3

mtnrdredux_gw
last year
last modified: last year

So we decided that, for adding on a sunroom, going parallel to the LR was going to work better than going perpendicular to the DR (my original plan). We will convert the windows flanking the LR FPL to french doors opening into the new sunroom. The new doors will copy the style of existing french doors that currently connect the LR to the back screen porch.

Our house is a Dutch colonial. Dutch colonials have unusual roof lines so I went looking on line for a good example of one with a side sunroom, and I found one c 1923, below.It is not our home; ours is larger and is different to the front, and has a wrap around verandah ....but the left side of the house with the sunroom looks very much like our house's side profile..

And then, I looked at the floorplan, and the layout is very similar to our house, albeit smaller than ours. Most importantly, the placement and relative scale of the sunroom vs the LR is very similar to what we had already decided to do! So it seems right for the house.

Our Living room is 19x28, and the addition should be at least 14x21. (to accommodate The Rug, which is not an absolute reqmt, but is preferred.)

Now, to extrapolate from this 1923 plan to our actual house.

Comments (24)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

So this is our house, sort of. We have made changes to the front (balcony off MBR, shed dormer in attic) but I don't think they are relevant to this exercise.

In this photo, the LR is on the left and that is where we would add on the sunroom.

This shows the elevation where the sunroom would go On the first floor, the cedar portion is 28 feet. The sunroom would be smaller than that. The two windows you see become french doors. The roof would be flattish. The new foundation would be stone and lattice, like it is now

• bpath
    last year

And would you add a railing on top, and make another balcony on top?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked bpath
  • Related Discussions

Building a sunroom on the back of my house question

Q

Comments (4)
    Im working on a project where concrete was poured over an existing sloped slab in the garage to get a level base,(converting the garage into living space). The concrete contractor does not like to go less than 1-1/2" of new over old. He also only uses fibered reinforced concrete which doesn't finish as well,(if you are having stained concrete floors for example), but is structurally sounder. He also drilled holes in the existing slab about every 24" or so to allow the new to "bite" into the old. With 6" of new concrete, another avenue that might be overkill but would give you good peace of mind would be to drill in and epoxy rebar that sticks up about 3 " all around in the old slab and attach wire mesh to the rebar. You also want to drill in rebar into the sides of the existing slab where your footers will butt up to them. Drill in and epoxy rebar about every 24" horizontally and leave about 6" or so of rebar out for the new concrete in the footers to grab onto. Then run rebar all along the perimeter tying into the horizontal peices,(laying on top), that are protruding out from the old slab. The rebar along the perimeter will be centerd in the footing the length of the footers laying on top of and tied into the horizontal pieces epoxied into the existing slab. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Is my sunroom/enclosed patio a money pit?

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes; with a floor like that it should be a 3 season room. Get some screens in there for the warmer months.
    ...See More

Help with area underneath my sunroom

Q

Comments (11)
    I would close it in with the same siding as your home is on and put a double door on it and use it for storage. I say a double door as it will make it easier to store things like mowers etc in there and get them in and out easily.
    ...See More

3 Season Sunroom Frame...repaint...

Q

Comments (9)
    No idea who the manufacturer is - we are not the original owner. Yes, in spots it goes down to the bare aluminum. This is exactly what happened on our front storm door a few years back. Question...once I decide to repaint..must I get all the paint off or just whatever wipes off? Should I wipe with alcohol..or a thinner etc. You mentioned an aluminum paint. Does it come in a spray or would it be best to brush it? Does it require a primer? There is not much to paint but a lot of prep...I want to do it right. My front door is good but under cover; again I just removed the glass insert, wiped the door down with water/soap, then water, then alcohol, then water. I then just sprayed it with Satin Rustolium.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

This is a view showing the impacted portion of the floorplan. The new sunroom is the one shown w no furniture.

Below is a 3d view, as if you were standing in the bottom left corner of the verandah looking in. NOTE there are software limitations on my window choices, ability to show foundation and roof. (or maybe they are just my limitations, LOL)

And here is a view from inside the sunroom looking out toward the front of the house/verandah

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

So here are my questions:

1. I don't want the room to be too big. It has to be at least 22 feet if the two existing windows are both turned into doors. Would you just make it 24? Isn't bldg in multiples of 8 more efficient? I don't want to go wider than 14 because of trees, or narrower because of The Rug.

2. Would you make the addition cedar shake or all white?

3. These types of rooms usually have all the same windows on 3 sides. But we want french doors on the short walls, both back and front. Do we just put in windows that same size next to it? On the long wall, I think we can put different windows than the short wall? Maybe 5' casement 3' off the ground?

4. I think a flat roof looks best (built with an invisible slant for snow). Would you put a railing on it? Any other decoration?

Thanks!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Bpath, I was thinking about that, too. The views of the ocean from there would be terrific.

• Funkyart
    last year

I don't have any input that is experienced or educated ... but I love where you are going and I suggest white for the sunporch vs cedar shake.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Mtn our previous house was a colonial, not Dutch but for this purpose, same difference. We had a porch off our LR accessed with 2 French doors flanking the fireplace. The porch had E. S, W exposure, windows on the S & W sides and a sliding door to access our deck on the E side. Windows were about 3' off the floor and large sliders. When open the room functioned as a screen porch, closed it was a 3 season room. We had large trees so dapples sun on all exposures spring, summer, fall and full sun in winter. On a mild winter day (meaning not a polar vortex!) the room was comfortable enough to sit out with a blanket and read. The room was considerably smaller than what you are planning but we still had 2 distinct areas - a dining table and a sofa and chair. We also used it as a sleeping porch on occasion. As for siding color you'll have to see mock ups of each to know - I think all white is a different feel than the cedar so depends on your goal.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Sounds lovely, DLM! And very similar. We would want this to be year round. Did yours have a heat source?

• Jilly
    last year

I’m trying to decide if I’d rather have the Connecticut house or Maine house. Might do a poll later.

• smiling
    last year

1. Yes to the idea for 24' along the existing wall. However, I would think again about limiting yourself to 14' width. New trees can be replanted for future growth, while a too-small sunroom can't easily be remedied. (Perhaps you could fashion a briefly installed barrier 5 or 8 feet in from the current 19' living room to experience how narrow 14 feet will be, especially given the natural traffic corridor inside the sunroom along that wall with the French doors. Allowing for about 3' for traffic space, you'll end up with about 11' width for living space in the sunroom.) If you have the space (which appears to be the case in your photo), I'd actually sacrifice a few trees and go with a 24' x 24' room. Room for full-sized seating, game/snack table, statement plants, a beautiful multi-purpose room such a nice stately house deserves, and the rug will be able to "breathe".

You can replant trees, and then especially nourish them for vigorous growth; or, you may find you enjoy the more open and unobstructed view, choice TBD later.

2. Cedar shake IMHO would look best in that setting.

3. If you would consider #1 above, I would suggest bringing the knee wall along the far wall and around the far corners up to the the exterior double French doors. It's just great having long stretches of knee-wall for lots of easy-access outlets that can support multiple future use-cases.

Best of luck for a great project success!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked smiling
  • roarah
    last year

Orginal sunrooms in 1920 houses were historically longer than wide so long and narrow is appropriate and fits the front elevation better than a square will. I love the idea of all french windows on the ling wall and doors on narrow walls. Differently cedar shake. yes to a railing i love that look!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked roarah
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Ours did not have a heat source. The house was built in the 30s with a full basement but the porch was over a crawl. We renovated and significantly added on to the house and left the sunroom as is. But on sunny mild winter days it would get warmer than the house and we'd open the doors to the LR. The people who bought from us did have the sunroom fully insulated and added to the HVAC. I've been back to see it and it's lovely. Ours was a 2 story porch, the upstairs portion accessed through 2 adjoining bedrooms and was likely a true sleeping porch originally.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked DLM2000-GW
  • bbstx
    last year

My mother turned the terrace on our house into a sunroom. The previous owner of DD’s house added an outdoor living room between the family room and the pool. Mother put skylights in the roof of the sunroom over existing windows. PO of DD’s house did not. Because of the skylights, Mother’s addition had very little impact on the amount natural light in the family room. DD’s family room is like a cave. All of this to say, if you can, put skylights over each of the doors to the interior.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked bbstx
  • blfenton
    last year

So how far out from the house would you be going? It looks like you have a slope down from the house which is going to make your stone/lattice foundation deeper/higher. Proportionally, can the house take that. I really can't tell. Unless you're bringing in fill to raise that slope.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked blfenton
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Another 6ft over to the left from the existing verandah, whuch is 8 ft wide at that point . It is flat over that distance

• jane__ny
    last year

I agree with bbstx. If you could put some skylights on the roof, the amount of light and sun makes such a difference.

I built one off our contemporary home in NY. Our house was on a hill and the sunroom was built next to our kitchen. We had sliders on all three sides and a deck off the room.

The sunroom faced South and because it was so high up, got sun from sunrise to sunset. It got hot in the summer months so we put a ceiling fan in the room. We did not have a heat source and it would get cold overnight but would warm up on sunny days.

We loved it. We used it all the time. Because it was off the kitchen, we kept the sliders open to the room and would eat there and entertain.

Of course, being a contemporary house, it would not look like what you are doing (which I think will look beautiful), but consider the use of skylights.

Jane

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jane__ny
  • jojoco
    last year

I'm torn. I love cedar shake and it will make the addition seem less like an addition. But the picture you posted is beautiful. Here is one with the cedar shakes that reminds me of your home. Having seen it, I'm now slightly leaning towards the weathered look.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jojoco
  • nini804
    last year

This will be beautiful. Many of the gorgeous 1920’s homes in our area have this type of sunroom. I completely agree with Pal about the size…I think making it too wide would look off. I like all white, with a flat-look roof with railing. Not sure what is above that area on the second floor…but you could even make it a balcony up there. I bet the view would be amazing!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nini804
  • robo (z6a)
    last year

Some inspo pictures

From Crisp Architects

https://crisparchitects.com/renovations/sunroom-addition/

Flat roof, all white, short wallspace under windows.

One thing I think about a sunroom in a coastal home - can you/would you have fun with the ceiling and structure to make it look like an enclosed porch? To me that might mean wooden ceiling, even some interesting wall treatment (shakes?) might not be amiss to make the room look casual and enclosed. Indoor-outdoor feel. Maybe too kitschy.

Interesting treatments here with the window structure all white, but house cladding material on the walls below, I think I like the first pic better than the second.

I had never considered a sunroom/sunporch with a flat-looking roof but I see it's pretty common. I'd consider a pitched shed roof but maybe that is less classy looking.

Looking at the examples with and without railing...I kind of like the railing!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked robo (z6a)
  • palimpsest
    last year

In your area I would probably do a shallow pyramidal roof and possibly the railing. The roof would look flat from most viewpoints.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

I do think the roof should look flat, even if it is not (flat roofs and snow are not a great combo). Knowing what the salt air does to trim, I am tempted to forego a railing but I do think it can look very nice, so we will see. It depends on whether we make the roof accessible, too.

Robo, those are exactly what I am imagining, pretty much the standard 1900=1940 sunroom. And, GMTA on finishes too. We want it to feel like a screened porch that got converted. So yes to a wooden beadboard ceiling, maybe beadboard walls too (tho painted). And we have a place in our CT house where we expanded and we kept the cedar shake wall in the new room. Love that look.

Pal, thanks for the reminder on the Golden ratio! I will use that. I don't want the room to be too big and cumbersome. With the furniture layouts I am considering 14' will be enough.

Jojoco, dreamy house. I don't think I want a shed roof though, since no other part of the roof is that simple. Also, since the back screened porch is sort of white paneled, I am inclined to stick with that.

Jane, BBSTX,

I think what we might do, if it is possible, is build it without skylights (and without a rooftop deck and railing) and then, if it seems to make the LR too dark, consider skylights.

Smiling,

I have altered projects more than once to save trees! You can't replace 30 ft trees. In terms of furniture layout, 12' could work, 14' is perfect.

I know knee wall is more flexible/practical, but to me "the look" of these rooms allows little or no kneewall.

• localeater
    last year

@mtnrdredux_gw I would really recommend consulting an arborist before you get too invested in saving those trees. Those white pines have a shallow root system, and what roots they have could be grazing the top of a granite ledge. Any work in the area may render them unstable, and it looks as if one is already leaning.

If you do not already have one, I can recommend Lucastree, in Falmouth.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked localeater
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Great idea local, thank you. I do have a gardener who is pretty knowledgable, but that may not be sufficient. We have cantilevered additions in our CT house just to save trees (successfully).