SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syrcais

Is my sunroom/enclosed patio a money pit?

wendync
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Lived in house for 5 years. When we bought it, one of the attractive features was a "sunroom", which was basically the houses deck, with some type of kit that had been installed to enclose it, giving it windows on all sides, 2 electrical outlets and a ceiling fan. The room was also supposed to have heating and cooling connected from the house.

*But* this room doesn't have a real floor in it. Its still got the wooden planks from the deck as the floor. Sure, they put in a little bit of insulation under the room(you can sort see it through the planks), but its definitely not perfect and in some parts you can see the ground straight down. This means insects can get in--the floor part is basically completely exposed to the outdoors through the planks.

This room gets terribly hot in the summer and super cold in the winter. The AC/heating part is poor at best, and pretty much unnoticeable. I have plants out there year round, so I have to heat the room with a space heater to keep it above 50 degrees for the plants.

Any way, on to my core question.. Our house *always* has super high energy usage in the hot months and the cold months--is our house basically dumping our money into this room by attempting to heat/cool this room which is completely exposed to the outdoors on the underside? Would getting an actual floor of some type help this? Or maybe we should some how disconnect the houses ac from the room since it has to be heated separately any way..?

Comments (2)