SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillandmatt_gw

Need help with furniture selection.

jillandmatt
12 years ago

Hello, I would love some help with furniture selection for our new great room. The only piece I have right now is a dark brown leather sofa (traditional style)and am needing some chairs. The walls are painted SW relaxed khaki, which is a gray/green neutral beige. I was thinking about getting two khaki club chairs from Ikea. Mostly because they are in my budget right now. I would love some chairs with color or pattern but like the price on the solid Ikea chairs. Would the combo of the solid leather sofa and solid khaki chairs be too plain or bland? The Ikea chairs also come in white which I've thought about...I also need to get a rug because we have hard wood floors in there. I was thinking I could add some color with colorful pillows and the rug and maybe even window treatments.

Thanks for any thoughts!!

Comments (12)

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Not sure which Ikea chairs that you are looking at but I would consider going white or another color instead of the khaki and then putting a great patterned throw pillow on each chair.

I briefly painted my LR SW Relaxed Khaki and while the color was great I felt like I was swimming in a sea of brown: Brownish walls, greenish/ khahki sofa, dark brown leather club chairs. I had creamy curtains layered over matchstick blinds. There was just something missing in the room. I finally determined that it was because I had only 2 colors going on in the room: some form of brown and some form of cream.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I think you'd have to really pop the room with a rug and pillows in order to keep it from being dull with the chair choice. You may want to consider checking out Overstock.com Below is just an idea of one that would add more interest but they have many there, at comparable prices, that would work just fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

I'd also look at Homegoods if you have one nearby. I've found 2 leather club chairs there (one in turquoise and the other in lime green) and have recently seen a number of fun, patterned side chairs that would look great with a brown leather sofa. Pricing is usually anywhere from $99-$299 for chairs, depending on the size and pattern.

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much!
    ttodd- I was thinking today that the white Ikea chairs would be better than the khaki because they wouldn't blend with the walls. Thanks!
    Yayagirl- I really like that chair from overstock. I had looked on their website before and somehow missed it. It is now in the running!
    pipdog- I forgot about Homegoods. We do have one here and I'm off work tomorrow! I'll be heading there!! Thanks!!

• les917
    12 years ago

What about this one from IKEA? I love this fabric! They have drapery like this as well:

stockholm easy chair

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love that fabric too! I think I need bigger chairs though. The room is about 13x15. I wish those came bigger!
    Thank you!

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

You haven't posted any pics of your room or the furniture you're talking about, so this is just one more kind-of-guessing opinion.

IMO, though, a brown leather sofa is a classic piece in a neutral color. I like that, and the leather is practical, too. Khaki is also a neutral color and would work well with the leather sofa and is a practical color for upholstered seating, as well. My only concern is a possible clash with the wall color. Will they work well together? Is repainting the room an option?

White chairs will add a lot more contrast to the room, but how will they stand up to the use they'll get? Do you have dogs or kids that might make the white impractical in the long term? How will you use them yourselves? On an everyday basis, white may quickly become dirty . . . or it may not, depending on the usage.

With the khaki colored chairs, you can easily add color, pattern and contrast with accessories, art work, throw pillow, rugs, lamps, etc. I always like to add black as well as a color to a room with brown furniture. My own family room has a brown leather sofa, along with one matching brown leather chair and one dark green leather and wood recliner. I had no problem adding color, contrast and texture in there and it looks anything but dull,IMO.

You can add color the same way with the white chairs, too, but are you ready for that much contrast? Again, it's just my opinion, but I think you'll need to add a lot more white to the room to balance out the two white chairs with the brown sofa and tan(khaki?) walls. I think that it could be done, and done very well, if you put your mind to it . . . and if you want that dark/white contrast. It's totally what makes you personally happiest.

Anyhoo, just a few more things to think about before you buy. The bottom line as I see it is finding good comfortable, practical chairs. In the end, what you're really going to appreciate is that your chairs are actually very comfortable and enjoyable to sit in and that they're made well to last.

Lynn

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much Lynn for the feedback. I think you are definitely right about the white. It would probably be too much contrast for me. Thanks for pointing that out. I really love the paint color and just painted the room, so I want to stick with it. I found a chair at Haverty's today that is a good deal. It a floor model, so they have it reduced. It's the same color/tone as my walls, just a little lighter. They only have one so I'd have to find another chair on the small size. Here's a link. What do you think?
    http://www.havertys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?item=025006986&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10001
    Thanks again everyone!!

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Jill, question: will the two chairs be placed near the sofa in a conversation group with it or will one be in another part of the room by itself? If together, I'd keep looking until I found two matching chairs . . . or try like heck to get one more of the chairs you've given the link to. It looks very nice ~and comfortable~ and I like the fact that both the back and seat cushions are reversible. Very practical! Have you sat in one to try it out?
    Sorry if I sound too practical. It's just that I've sat in way too many chairs over the years that were purchased because they looked good and "went with the room" but turned out to be uncomfortable to actually sit in because the depth of the seat was too shallow or too deep; the chair sat too high or too low; the fabric was scratchy, itchy, or didn't breathe; the cushioning and/or welting was too hard; the back angled too far back or sat too straight. These days I'm all for comfortable, well-made chairs (LOL)!
    Lynn

• blubird
    12 years ago

The Ikea Stockholm is nice looking chair, but I feel it sits too low to be comfortable. And, if you're short, the chair is also very deep.

Helene

• dorothy9_gw
    12 years ago

I would be of no help but I want to see the Haverty chair and have tried 3 times and always get GENERIC ERROR. What am I doing wrong?
    D.

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dorothy9- go to Haverty's web site and search under chairs. The name of the chair is Cottage Chic and the color is stone. Hope that helps!
    I went with two of the matching Haverty's CC chairs. The normal price is $699 but I got one for $499 because it was the floor model. I got the other one new for $650! I feel like a I got a great deal because I've been shopping for chairs for a while. These are very comfortable and on the larger size. They also got good reviews. Thanks for all the help. I just crossing my fingers that they will look good in the room and be the right size. It's always so hard to know with buying furniture. I will post a pic when they arrive on Friday!
    Jill