SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duluth33

Mid Century Makeover Advice Neded - HELP

Duluth33
10 years ago

Greetings,

In 2 days painters are starting to paint the inside of my home. We are two guys with a kid we adopted and have finally decided to makeover our home. We love mid century modern style.

I've been questioning how much I love this style and I really do, but with elements of my own. I don't want to become eclectic - so we are going 80% with this style, meaning, we aren't doing white walls we are doing a medium grey.

My questions are -

1/ We have stained trim throughout the 1984 house, and we were going to paint it Benjamin Moore Cottonball semi gloss (whitish color). But the more I read about mid-century style, it talks about letting the wood furniture lines show and set the tone. Thus I'm worried now about painting my trim. We were going to keep the large (19x20) library room with stained trim (it's in the tray ceiling already) and dining room (17x17) with stained dental molding, but paint everything else except the top portion of the stair handrails and actual stair treads. IS PAINTING WOOD TRIM A MISTAKE WHILE TRYING TO ACHIEVE MID CENTURY MODERN? Sorry I'm wordy- just had to get my question out.

2/ I hate mid century art. I like abstract art (blurry looking pictures with cool colors. Can I mix that in and not throw off my whole look? I'm trying to achieve the look with a cool mid cent coffee table, Eames chair and ottoman, egg chair, and a neutral rug (still haven't decided which). can I blend in that art?

3/ Can I have a Navy room against stained wood (one of the rooms I'm keeping the stained trim) and still work in mid century furniture or will it look odd?

4/ Where can I get basic design rules on this look?

Thanks for any help and opinions.

Comments (11)