SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Need help urgently--closet into small study area -- layout ?

mahatmacat1
12 years ago

Hi dear g'webbers,

I NEED your help! Finally, after years of collecting salvage white oak (including some from the 20s) flooring in our garage, we're getting it put throughout most of the rest of the 1st floor of the house and getting *RID* of the yucky old carpet! We're taking advantage of the change to make a few layout changes to the area, including giving me a *pantry* that I've been dreaming of since 2006, and a dedicated study area (where my desk has been will be the pantry, and where the pantry-ish thing was, made out of what had originally been a master bedroom closet, will be my little office).

So my problem: I want as much sf as I can get for that office space, mostly to store teaching materials, all our bills, etc. I have a question about moving a wall literally 8". Seriously. 8". But I'm not able to decide it! I need you all to weigh in.

The first pics show how it would look as it is now, with the wall where it is, and a little alcove we've been hanging art on (art is usually dripping off these walls, just so you know). I'll be painting the red oak doors with Ben Moore Advance (getting sample tomorrow). The second pics show where I would put the wall, so we could have a little art on it but not hit yourself on it as you come around the corner. Display walls are vital real estate in this house. The third and the fourth pics are with a cardboard stand-in for the wall bumped out, from both angles.

Does the little 5" jog-in look weird or o.k.? I could really use more storage, even a little bit more. Should I keep the wall where it is, even with the wall on the other side, or should I move it up and give myself about 5.5 more cf?

Thanks so much. Oh, and I tried putting the wall it flush with the leading edge of the perpendicular wall, but I'm concerned about brushing up against a painting or something as you come around the corner. And that chair is not my desk chair, just a stand-in. And the ceiling will be de-popcorned, after 10 years!!!

After we make this decision, I would *love* to hear thoughts on how to organize this area best so as to maximize storage area and give me a work area too. I didn't think this would be so complex--the pantry is a walk in the park compared to this!

Comments (16)