SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarapamela_gw

Help Needed w/ Layout and Placement of Refrigerator in Small Kitc

sarapamela
12 years ago

We are remodeling our small galley condo kitchen and we really need some advice about the layout!

I have a link to the photos at the end of this messsage, but I don't know how to insert them into this posting?

Anyway, it is the right-hand wall (with the fridge and range) that are keeping me awake at night!

As you enter from the dining area, it measures 106" along each side. The width of the room is 95", and we are going to eliminate the doorway header and open up the walls to the left and right of the doorway. We will have from 106-110" of length to work with after we open up the entrance from the dining area. There will be custom angled cabinets to the left and right of the new, wider 'entry'.

We currently have our old refrigerator in the corner farthest from the doorway from the dining area. The appliance salesperson said we should try to find another place for the fridge. She said that, if possible, we should avoid having it in the corner, as the wall will restrict the opening of the door, even a French door. I don't have a clue as to where else it could go, though.

We are leaning towards the full-sized Kitchenaide FD with bottom freezer that is counter depth (29' deep including handle) by 35.7" wide and 68.5" tall. (I originally wanted a small Samsung French Door frig there, but I am worried that having such a small frig (it has very limited space for tall bottles) would drive me crazy, and I don't want to put new cabinets in that would restrict the size of the frig forever.)

Where, other than against the wall, might we consider putting a 36" wide refrigerator, or would it be a huge mistake to put a full-sized fridge in a galley kitchen of this size? Do I have to give up my idea of a French Door fridge and get a 'normal', freezer on top style????

If I moved the fridge out of the corner, what type of cabinet would go to the left of it? We will have a slide-in range on that wall, too, and we'd like to keep the angled cabinets at the end closest to the dining area. We are considering extending the cabinets a few inches more into the dining area, but should probably not go any longer than 110" total length.

Thoughts??? (Thanks!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Condo Kitchen

Comments (13)