SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xena45

need layout help on small kitchen

xena45
10 years ago

Hello all!

I posted about this kitchen a few years ago, and got some great feedback from a few of you! Since then, we've changed the scope of the reno, and we are further along in our overall reno plan for the house and yard, so how we use the house has changed. The big thing is that we've added a 2 car garage behind the house, so we now use the back door almost exclusively. (And now I know that we need a closet by the back door!)

background: we are two adults in our mid-late forties, no children. Neither of us cooks much, although my husband bakes sometimes. We are heavy microwave oven users. This reno will be very cost conscious, and mostly a DIY venture.

The house is a 1958 ranch. Our current kitchen is in a room that's just under 10' x 12', but the inside of the tiny "U" is only 36" wide (see photo). Only 1 person can be in the main part of the kitchen in the time - i.e., you can't get glass for a drink of water if someone else is making toast at the same time. We also don't have a dishwasher. And, we only have 27" of workspace between the sink and the stove... and 10" of that is a temporary piece of counter top that we've added (not in photo). The counters are only 22" deep. We have no dishwasher. The microwave sits on the countertop, which I do not like. I like that the sink looks out the back window. There is very little storage, but that's not such a big deal because I don't cook much. The little peninsula has been handy when we've had company, and my husband uses it for baking.

Our current dining room is in the center of the house. It's dark.. There is also an odd, unused "sun room" at the back entrance of the house, which is also dark and gets no sun. There is a strange, interior window between the dining room and the sun room.

The shading in the floor plans refers to the FLOOR HEIGHTS..we have two sunken rooms: the living room and the sun room. The ceiling heights correspond to the floors, so the ceilings in those two rooms are lower, too.

This summer, we'll be adding a screened in porch, so when the kitchen reno happens, I want to put lots of glass along the back wall of the current kitchen, along with a door to the porch. It's important to me to make the house relate to the back yard, which it doesn't really do now.

My latest design (see below) involves moving the kitchen into the current dining room and sun room. The footprint of the kitchen area in this drawing is 8.6" x 14.5'. I've put a 6"/1' grid on the drawing. Most of the sunroom floor will need to be raised, along with the ceiling. there will have to be a 36" soffit above the fridge, to accommodate the low roof height at that side of the house. (There will be a step down to the mud/closet "area". I can draw up some sections, if that would be helpful.)

The island is only 30" deep in this design, with 42" aisles in the kitchen. Part of me wants the sink in it, but then it would be of no use for seating or prep area. I...

Comments (23)